Ocular Gnathostomiasis

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Fridaywithmateo
Expatriate
Hungary

Ocular Gnathostomiasis

Post by Fridaywithmateo »

Anybody have experience with ocular parasites (eye worms)? Pulled a 4cm sucker from my eye just now. Doing salt water flushes for now, but I suspect where there's one, there's bound to be more. Always an adventure in the tropics. Sigh.
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Re: Ocular Gnathostomiasis

Post by Ghostwriter »

Sorry, are you an attention seeker or what ?
If i happen to pull 4cm of anything from my eyes, i surely go asap to the hospital, instead of awaiting comments from a bunch of possibly clueless / inebriated / sleeping posters ^^
Fridaywithmateo
Expatriate
Hungary

Ya never know
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

Here's a previous thread about Worming in general > ask-the-expats-questions-answers/wormin ... 27460.html

However, since several helminth parasites can cause larva migrans syndrome of any types, identification of causative pathogens is critically necessary for accurate diagnosis and treatment. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5637603/

Dr Gavin Scott would be the go to guy for zoonosis, which it most likely is.
Fridaywithmateo
Expatriate
Hungary

Username Taken wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 3:48 am Here's a previous thread about Worming in general > ask-the-expats-questions-answers/wormin ... 27460.html

However, since several helminth parasites can cause larva migrans syndrome of any types, identification of causative pathogens is critically necessary for accurate diagnosis and treatment. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5637603/

Dr Gavin Scott would be the go to guy for zoonosis, which it most likely is.
Thanks for that ... I am graduate of combat field medicine course ... I am pretty good at minor stuff, self-diagnosing, self treating, etc. ... can do minor surgeries even.

If the salt irrigation doesn't do the trick, gonna hit it with Ivermectin.

Just was curious if any members have had this and what your treatment experience was.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

MondaywithPinocchio
YaTingPom
Expatriate
Palestine

Post by YaTingPom »

He is the worse walt ever.
Kenr
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Kenr »

Yes, given the fact that a case of ocular gnathostomiasis has never been reported in Cambodia, I'm guessing the OP wanted to be the first, and to able to cure it himself with his combat field medicine course training as the icing on top.
ItWasntMe
Expatriate
Ethiopia

Post by ItWasntMe »

Doc67 wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 8:56 am MondaywithPinocchio
Money can't buy happiness but it can buy beer
Fridaywithmateo
Expatriate
Hungary

Kenr wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 9:46 am Yes, given the fact that a case of ocular gnathostomiasis has never been reported in Cambodia, I'm guessing the OP wanted to be the first, and to able to cure it himself with his combat field medicine course training as the icing on top.
The disease is found and is most commonly diagnosed in Southeast Asia, though it has also been found elsewhere in Asia, in South and Central America, and in some areas of Africa. People become infected primarily by eating undercooked or raw freshwater fish, eels, frogs, birds, and reptiles.

It's here ... I've been eating a lot of this stuff ... I suspect it is ocular gnathostomasis ... I've got the worm suspended in olive oil ... gonna try and get a positive ID ... will report back on results.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic