US Man, MATTHEW DAVID SAMPLE, in Major Meth Bust in Phnom Penh

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
DirtyHead
Tourist
United States of America

Re: US Man, MATTHEW DAVID SAMPLE, in Major Meth Bust in Phnom Penh

Post by DirtyHead »

Damn… this sucks. I’m a friend of Matt from home and had high hopes we’d get him back. I grew up with him, can’t imagine what it’s like over there. Not condoning what he did but he’s college educated and had a lot of potential just these terrible decisions. It’s been some years but last i spoke to him he was proud of the kids he was teaching in kindergarten in Cambodia and was on a long list to be able to bring his family back to the USA legally. ugh
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

DirtyHead wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 7:39 am Damn… this sucks. I’m a friend of Matt from home and had high hopes we’d get him back. I grew up with him, can’t imagine what it’s like over there. Not condoning what he did but he’s college educated and had a lot of potential just these terrible decisions. It’s been some years but last i spoke to him he was proud of the kids he was teaching in kindergarten in Cambodia and was on a long list to be able to bring his family back to the USA legally. ugh
Hello Matt's friend,
I guess you're disappointed, but your mate definitely made some bad decisions, you're not wrong there. Maybe he was naive, and anyone can make mistakes, but getting involved with people like "Precious", the Nigerian heroin trafficker and professional scammer, that's more than bad judgement, it's getting mixed up with some serious low-lfe criminals, and of course it's not going to end well. :facepalm: I'm sorry for his family, but as they say, If you hang out with dogs, you are likely to end up with fleas.

In case you missed it, here's the old CEO thread starring Nwoko Precious Chineme, Matt's fellow drug trafficker and partner in crime, with his last attempt to get rich quick, using gullible women to smuggle heroin from Cambodia to Australia, which turned out as you would expect.
newsworthy/australian-drug-smuggler-sen ... -t339.html
chriz_PP
Expatriate
China

Post by chriz_PP »

DirtyHead wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 7:39 am Damn… this sucks. I’m a friend of Matt from home and had high hopes we’d get him back. I grew up with him, can’t imagine what it’s like over there. Not condoning what he did but he’s college educated and had a lot of potential just these terrible decisions. It’s been some years but last i spoke to him he was proud of the kids he was teaching in kindergarten in Cambodia and was on a long list to be able to bring his family back to the USA legally. ugh
contact his lawyer and start raising money. 5k might be enough and he's gonna be out in a year
Darkcel
Expatriate
Angola

Post by Darkcel »

Anchor Moy wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 12:18 pm
Hello Matt's friend,
I guess you're disappointed, but your mate definitely made some bad decisions, you're not wrong there. Maybe he was naive, and anyone can make mistakes, but getting involved with people like "Precious", the Nigerian heroin trafficker and professional scammer, that's more than bad judgement, it's getting mixed up with some serious low-lfe criminals, and of course it's not going to end well. :facepalm: I'm sorry for his family, but as they say, If you hang out with dogs, you are likely to end up with fleas.

In case you missed it, here's the old CEO thread starring Nwoko Precious Chineme, Matt's fellow drug trafficker and partner in crime, with his last attempt to get rich quick, using gullible women to smuggle heroin from Cambodia to Australia, which turned out as you would expect.
Wonder how much he paid to get out of that 27 year sentence
Pseudonomdeplume
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Pseudonomdeplume »

Darkcel wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 4:23 pm
Anchor Moy wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 12:18 pm
Hello Matt's friend,

Wonder how much he paid to get out of that 27 year sentence
He was in jail when he was busted for this
Scent from Dan's Durians & Perfumierie
BklynBoy
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by BklynBoy »

Just updating this because I visited Matt on Wednesday 8/1. It was an emotionally exhausting experience.

He is in PJ prison. That was the nickname the embassy lady said but its called Phnom Penh Prison.

The process was easier then I thought but as other stated- have to give money to like each person/security. I went w/ my khmer friend so was a little easier.

He said i was the only person who visited him. I gave him money and asked if anything else i can do or say to his friends. He said he read every book 3 times at least because the English section is so small. Said food is horrible

For me personally it felt good because just to make him feel a little better and was super shocked to see me. He was always thin but even thinner now but seemed to be ok.
Manhattan keeps on making it, Brooklyn keeps on taking it
Captain Bonez
Baked
Nigeria

Post by Captain Bonez »

BklynBoy wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 10:19 amHe said he read every book 3 times at least because the English section is so small. Said food is horrible
He should learn to read slower, that's all he's going to have to read for the next 30 years
If you enjoy noise pollution and obnoxious driving practices, Phnom Penh is the place for you!

This.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

BklynBoy wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 10:19 am He is in PJ prison. That was the nickname the embassy lady said but its called Phnom Penh Prison.
It's not a nickname, it comes from the French Police Judiciaire. Where is it located now? I noticed it may have moved to somewhere not far from Prey Sar ( Which is a nickname, the real name is Correctional Center 1 & Correctional Center 2).
Silence, exile, and cunning.
BklynBoy
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by BklynBoy »

John Bingham wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 10:45 am
BklynBoy wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 10:19 am He is in PJ prison. That was the nickname the embassy lady said but its called Phnom Penh Prison.
It's not a nickname, it comes from the French Police Judiciaire. Where is it located now? I noticed it may have moved to somewhere not far from Prey Sar ( Which is a nickname, the real name is Correctional Center 1 & Correctional Center 2).
i just said nickname because the embassy lady said that. It's a little confusing because on google it brings u
Correction center 2
FRPW+FCC, Prei Sa Road, Kamrieng

but this is the women's section. We had to ask them and then they explained how to get to the correct location. it wasnt far tho
BklynBoy
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by BklynBoy »

Captain Bonez wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 10:41 am
BklynBoy wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 10:19 amHe said he read every book 3 times at least because the English section is so small. Said food is horrible
He should learn to read slower, that's all he's going to have to read for the next 30 years
I can appreciate sarcasm and humor but you wouldn't find it so funny if was someone you cared about / friend. Or if was you in there
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic