HELP - FIRE is Killing Kampot's Bokor Mountain

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
emm
Expatriate
Austria

HELP - FIRE is Killing Kampot's Bokor Mountain

Post by emm »

According to a longterm resident in Kampot deliberate set fires on the slopes of Bokor Mountain have been going on since 20 years !

While 20 years back one could claim it was for firewood, hunting etc. today's fires have another quality alltogether. A few years ago when the Kampot Zoo was still in operation the fire went all the way to the walls of the zoo and some private homes.

Driving over the new Bridge towards Sihanoukville you can see the enormous erosion on the mountain slopes. Some area's further up are used for growing Bananas. Nobody seems to intervene eventhough the smoke is choking residents when the wind blows towards Kampot City. It must either be total ignorance of the Authorities in charge or very powefull people protected by their status.

Sometime ago the Gouvernor of Kompong Speu posted a reward for the arrest of anyone setting the forest there on fire. None of that in Kampot.

It's clear that the fires have an impact on the watertable further down the slopes which means more drought in the dry season and potential floods in the rainy season.

Is there any place that can stop this ?

once i learned how to upload pics i will submit them, too
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Re: HELP - FIRE is Killing Kampot's Bokor Mountain

Post by Username Taken »

emm wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 12:19 pm once i learned how to upload pics i will submit them, too
tech-zone/how-attach-images-and-videos-posts-t6851.html
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Silence, exile, and cunning.
emm
Expatriate
Austria

Post by emm »

@John Bingham
Thanks for the info regarding the Law Enforcement in the Andong Khmer commune that is currently getting most of the fires on the Bokor Hill Slopes. No Rangers or Law Enforcement at all present. The fires getting bigger and spread out farther. This is not Farmland but National Park Land. When will they finally wake up and stop burning their own enviroment ?
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

Probably preparing for a new Chinese satellite city.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

I went to sihanoukville from Kampot yesterday, and for around 30 clicks after the turn to go up bokor mountain everything on the rhs was on fire or had been burnt.

It's inevitable that in a few more years it will all be gone and it's a sad thing to see
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

Stay angry Emm. Keep taking photo's, keep looking for an ear.
(sometimes, occasionally, that can make a difference in some small way)
But don't get all bitter and twisted when you see this non-stop. Almost everywhere.
The frontier just keeps on relentlessly retreating, in that smoke.

Western orgs have even less influence here than the did before, when it comes to the forests especially. Almost none. ( a bit better with wildlife).
Maybe have a look at Mother Nature if Kh youth activism is your thing. Small group bold actions. Very savvy. Have achieved some remarkable successes. Huge following on FB. There are other groups too.
And yeah, sometimes there is a local community response - but don't expect as a foreigner you can add very much to that except moral support. (unless you have rare skills, savvy and commitment) A few bucks is ALLways handy.

I like your outrage. I have lost most of that, but i'm still on slowburn angry.
And i hope to the gods i'll never give up and surrender to cynicism.
Thanks for the report and the photographs. good work.

(ps, there are still some great chunks of nature and wildlife here. don't ever forget that either)
nemo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by nemo »

From FB happening now:
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Kung-fu Hillbilly »

nemo wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:23 pm From FB happening now: