Wobbly apartment block

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Wobbly apartment block

Post by John Bingham »

Ghostwriter wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 5:02 pm
Ah, i understood PP sitting on 9 to 76 meters of bedrock, my bad.
As far as I know bedrock is usually quite a few kilometers thick rather than a few meters. :shock:

Do you not see all the building collapses in the news?
No, there have been very few considering the dodgy building practices.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
andy1
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by andy1 »

If the Chinese had anything to do with the building get the hell out, they have many building failures in china
andy1
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by andy1 »

John Bingham wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 8:30 pm
As far as I know bedrock is usually quite a few kilometers thick rather than a few meters. :shock:

Recently there has been at least one building collapse in Sihanoukville another in Kampot, which both claimed a lot of lives there were also numerous buildings that were inspected after those collapses that were supposed to be demolished.(but were they)????
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Post by Ghostwriter »

John Bingham wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 8:30 pm As far as I know bedrock is usually quite a few kilometers thick rather than a few meters. :shock:
Allright, but a few reliable local and international companies have built imposing buildings in PP though, so, even if the city is sitting on a slim bedrock + jelly, these people must have tested the geology and sismic activity, don't you think ? There is foundations down through the jelly to the bedrock, i suppose ?

I guess the OP situation relies more on bad construction, or resonance / vibrations from something apart, than on parameters tied to sismic activity ? Or maybe his building is just sitting on jelly indeed, and slowly moves depending on...the jelly/swamp compression fluctuations ?
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

andy1 wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 11:22 pm
John Bingham wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 8:30 pm

Recently there has been at least one building collapse in Sihanoukville another in Kampot, which both claimed a lot of lives there were also numerous buildings that were inspected after those collapses that were supposed to be demolished.(but were they)????
Sure, I remember both were quite a while back. Like I said, very few.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

rogerrabbit wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 2:51 pm How old is the building?
I have no idea. There were barely any high-rise buildings in PP twenty years ago so I’m guessing it’s younger than that.
timmydownawell wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 3:23 pm Is it more noticeable in high winds, like just before the rain storms hit?

Not that I’ve noticed. We did have that particularly nasty brief storm a few weeks ago and I didn’t experience any swaying then.

It is 100% pretty much exclusively felt when there is movement somewhere in the block. I feel it strongest when my partner is exercising on the balcony, but I can also tell when people are simply walking up the stairs on the side of the building. When I feel it start to sway, especially at night, I listen out for someone opening their door shortly after, and they always do. There are also times when it just happens for no apparent reason, but I just get the feeling someone on the upper floors is doing something to cause it. [insert your own jokes here]

We’ve pretty much decided it’s best to just get out of there. It’s probably an over-reaction and I know that sudden building collapses are very rare, but they do happen, and we just don’t feel safe there. Walking back last night I looked at the entire building from the side and it appeared to me that it was slightly leaning. My partner couldn’t see it and told me I was being stupid, but for the first time I could easily imagine the building simply falling forward.

I hope we are just exaggerating, but I’d rather be safe than sorry.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

xandreu wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:11 am
We’ve pretty much decided it’s best to just get out of there.
You're just paranoid. Building built in Cambodia have never just collapsed. Oh wait...

Kep 2020

Sihanoukville 2019
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic