Phnom Penh in The Old Days, The 19th

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Phnom Penh in The Old Days, The 19th

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

08 Nov 1991, Phnom Penh, Cambodia --- Cambodians on bicycles take in the sights of Phnom Penh. Norodom Sinahouk was re-declared Cambodian Head of State on November 14, 1991 after the official ceasefire was announced on June 24, 1991. --- Image by © Jacques Langevin/Sygma/Corbis © Corbis

13 Feb 1996, Phnom Penh, Cambodia --- Traffic on Monivong Street in Phnom Penh, Cambodia. --- Image by © Kevin R. Morris/CORBIS © Corbis.

Former National Assembly, Phnom Penh - 1993

During the rainy season the river will reach almost the street. PP 1993

27 Feb 1975, Phnom Penh, Cambodia --- Original caption: Phnom Penh, Cambodia: Transportation being just one of the many shortages -- food, military supplies and other commodities -- in this besieged capital, this passenger on an elephant probably selected their only type of transportation available to get him to his destination. --- Image by © Bettmann/CORBIS © Corbis.

When cyclo was famous, Phnom Penh, Cambodia - 1993

Chbbar Ampouv, Phnom Penh - 1994

November 1991, Phnom Penh, Cambodia --- Woman puts on makeup while looking in the mirror at a beauty parlor in Phnom Penh. --- Image by © Andrew Holbrooke/Corbis © Corbis.

2004, Phnom Penh, Cambodia --- Young girls wait during the recording of a television show for Channel 3 in Phnom Penh. --- Image by © Yves Gellie/Corbis © Corbis.

Breakfast Restaurant - Street 214, Phnom Penh - 1993

The River Tonle Sap @ Phnom Penh, Cambodia - 1996

Waiting for costumers @ Toul Tompoung Market (Russian Market) - 1993

Phsar Thmey, Phnom Penh 1994

Pre-1975 Cambodia

December 1991, Phnom Penh, Cambodia --- Wedding Party Outside Hotel Cambodiana --- Image by © Michael S. Yamashita/CORBIS © Corbis.

08 Nov 1991, Phnom Penh, Cambodia --- Children playing in a park. Norodom Sinahouk was re-declared Cambodian Head of State on November 14, 1991 after the official ceasefire was announced on June 24, 1991. --- Image by © Jacques Langevin/Sygma/Corbis © Corbis.

November 1991, Phnom Penh, Cambodia --- Woman in a beauty shop gets a manicure and pedicure. --- Image by © Andrew Holbrooke/Corbis © Corbis.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Re: Phnom Penh in The Old Days, The 19th

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

i would have loved to have seen this PP, the place looks so much nicer and cleaner
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

Jamie_Lambo wrote:i would have loved to have seen this PP, the place looks so much nicer and cleaner
Most of that was a bit before my time, but I liked the old Phnom Penh more than today's PP.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

Username Taken wrote:
Jamie_Lambo wrote:i would have loved to have seen this PP, the place looks so much nicer and cleaner
Most of that was a bit before my time, but I liked the old Phnom Penh more than today's PP.
the whole place needs a big trash clean up and a new lick of paint
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
ExPenhMan
Expatriate
Canada

Post by ExPenhMan »

Wonderful photos. I would have loved to have seen PP in the '90s, too. Traditional women's dress and a bit of modernity, TV aerials on the roofs, looks like proper street lamps, cargo ships on the Tonle Sap (I think). Busy busy everywhere. No one staring into their smartphone. LOL
franzjaeger
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by franzjaeger »

Wow, so much space without all the Lexus 570's around.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

I do wish I could have been around in those days.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
ot mien kampf
Expatriate

Post by ot mien kampf »

Looks like present day Kampong Cham or Battambang.
Barang_doa_slae
The Dark Horse
Cambodia

Post by Barang_doa_slae »

In the late 90´s I squatted an expat villa in Tourlkok. What a playground it was for my rental Baja 250.
The night rides were a bit scary though...
Strangely i can't much remember the ease of traffic downtown but what I can remember very well that it wasn't until mid 2000 that there was any night traffic at all.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Barang_doa_slae wrote:In the late 90´s I squatted an expat villa in Tourlkok. What a playground it was for my rental Baja 250.
The night rides were a bit scary though...
Strangely i can't much remember the ease of traffic downtown but what I can remember very well that it wasn't until mid 2000 that there was any night traffic at all.

And you could probably count the street lights on one hand. I only arrived in 2003, and I can remember walking from riverside, past the Kandal market to my guesthouse at about 9 pm at night, and 20 watt bulbs were brightest light in town.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic