"Whiteness makes you win" ad withdrawn

Thailand is Cambodia's neighbor to the West, and this forum is dedicated to Thai news, stories, reviews, blogs, videos, Thai people and anything else related to the country. A lot of expats have both lived and worked in Cambodia and Thailand, and this area is a place to discuss all aspects of life in Thailand and what's going on there. Most topics are about Bangkok and Pattaya because of their larger populations of expatriates and tourists in those cities, but this is for all things Thai.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

"Whiteness makes you win" ad withdrawn

Post by Anchor Moy »

Shame, utube have closed this account, but I saw it before they took it down and she did actually say this stuff:
Thai skincare company Seoul Secret has been forced to withdraw an ad for skin-whitening pills after being accused of racism over a "whiteness makes you win" claim.

The advert features Thai actress, model and singer Cris Horwang turning from white to black and warns of the dangers of not taking the Snowz Gluta whitening pills.

In the ad Horwang says: "Before I got to this point the competition was very high. If I stop taking care of myself, everything I have worked for, the whiteness I have invested in, may be lost. The new kids will replace me, will make me a faded star."

A voiceover apparently claims that "whiteness makes you win" and explains the poduct "helps you not return to black"...
I know it's not new, but the myth of "white beauty" lives on. I think this sort of product should be banned, and ads like this definitely carry the message that dark skin is ugly, but banning things doesn't change the way people think about skin colour.
And who knows what could be in pills that make your skin whiter ? Nothing very good for you. :facepalm:
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Re: "Whiteness makes you win" ad withdrawn

Post by Username Taken »

Funny how Asians want to be white and cover up when in the sun.
Caucasians on the other hand want a good tan and strip off to get that 'healthy look'.
sigmoid
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: "Whiteness makes you win" ad withdrawn

Post by sigmoid »

It's all about class and social status.

For Asians, dark skin means you work in the rice fields under the tropical sun. You are a poor farmer.

For people with European ethnic backgrounds (so-called "caucasians" or "white" people), dark skin (a good tan) means you are a member of the leisure class and don't work in an office or factory, but lay around outdoors or spend time at the beach and go on holiday in the tropics or sunnier climes.

It's the same with a song like "On the Sunny Side of the Street". It makes sense if you live in a temperate climate with four seasons. In SE Asia, of course you're going to walk in the shade.

This shows how flexible reality can be.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
I may be going to hell in a bucket,
but at least I'm enjoying the ride.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic