Oh, the joy!

Have questions or resources regarding Khmer Culture? This forum is all about the Kingdom of Cambodia's culture. Khmer language, Cambodian weddings, French influence, Cambodian architecture, Cambodian politics, Khmer customs, etc? This is the place. Living in Cambodia can cause you to experience a whole new level of culture shock, so feel free to talk about all things related to the Khmer people, and their traditions. And if you want something in Khmer script translated into English, you will probably find what you need.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Oh, the joy!

Post by StroppyChops »

The neighbours (yes, those ones) rang the doorbell yesterday to ask very politely - they'd sent the nephew that doesn't live there - if we'd mind moving the tuktuks away from the front of our place as they needed space for the wedding tent to be set up.

Oh, the joy.

So currrently there's a tuktuk in the front room, and the other is parked out on the street. The little bastards drained the tank again during the night, and no doubt they'll drain the fuel I put in today to get to work at 6am.

The monks have just finished their stint, and we're settling into the first round of songs. Mrs S has cranked the TV up to it's loudest, but it's not competing with the rack of speakers that face into the neighbours house, turning it into a massive soundbox. It's impressive how much sound can be amplified using a large tile-lined room.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Re: Oh, the joy!

Post by Anchor Moy »

Now now Stroppy, we are not going to criticize the local quaint religious customs, are we? :stir:
My "neighbours" - at least a block away - are at this very moment having an extremely loud 7day ceremony and we've just had another 3 day affair on the other side of our place. I'm waiting on a skype call, and it's going to be a noisy business to shout over the monks, but hey, that will add some real Cambodian atmosphere.

I thought you were moving out discreetly ? That will be fun, as you move your furniture through the wedding ceremony discreetly. Or,with any luck, they will be too busy with the ceremony to hassle you.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

i can still hear a wedding party all the way from my room in England, every now and again if the winds in the right direction can hear the faint humming of the monks chanting also ;)
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Jamie_Lambo wrote:i can still hear a wedding party all the way from my room in England, every now and again if the winds in the right direction can hear the faint humming of the monks chanting also ;)
Ha,ha, jamie does not know the difference between monks and muslims chanting.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

Duncan wrote:
Jamie_Lambo wrote:i can still hear a wedding party all the way from my room in England, every now and again if the winds in the right direction can hear the faint humming of the monks chanting also ;)
:plus1: :dragonchase:
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Duncan wrote:
Same same, but different, isn't it ? :bow:

( But the Khmer monks win overall. Louder and endure longer. When you think it's over, it's just started. :shock: )
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Now this is strange... you'll be skeptical, but hear me out. They've finished, and are packing up. The ceremony was underway when we came home around 3, a couple of hours of a good chant on the sound system (which for a moment sounded like an auctioneer auctioning a water buffalo, or a race caller that needs to buy some punctuation), slipped into some rather pensive songs, an almost silent meal, and we're done.

Do you think they're messing with me?
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

They're messing with me.

Apparently that was just the prelude. Tomorrow looks to be a long, long day.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

StroppyChops wrote:They're messing with me.

hahahaha unlucky! :thumb:
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

StroppyChops wrote:They're messing with me.

5am start minimum.

Ok, can't help saying I told u so:
( But the Khmer monks win overall. Louder and endure longer. When you think it's over, it's just started. :shock: )
:plus1: Good luck with that.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic