US police kill more people w/guns in 24 days, than UK 24 yrs

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

US police kill more people w/guns in 24 days, than UK 24 yrs

Post by Anchor Moy »

:dm: Whichever way you look at this, and whatever you think about firearms, this should make you stop and think :
"in the first 24 days of 2015, American police killed more people than police in England and Wales have killed in 24 years."

Armed police in England and Wales only fired their weapons twice over the course of 14,864 operations that took place from 2013-2014.

This means that firearms were only used in 0.013 per cent of armed police operations during this period. In 2014, only one person was killed by police in England and Wales.

The statistics, released today by the Home Office, cover the financial year from April 2013 to March 2014, and show the huge contrast between policing in the UK when compared to America.

503 people in the USA have been killed by police using firearms in the first six months of this year - and in the first 24 days of 2015, American police killed more people than police in England and Wales have killed in 24 years.
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/ho ... 78829.html

Like wow.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Re: US police kill more people w/guns in 24 days, than UK 24

Post by Username Taken »

^^ Yeah, but I need it for protection, cos all the bad guys are packing heat, man.
AE86
Expatriate
Japan

Post by AE86 »

I'm genuinely interested in a comparison with "knife crimes" vs. "gun crimes". Meaning, I'm just curious is the amount of crime by other means in the UK vs. the US. I'm betting it's not proportionate, but I'm still curious.
-insert signature here
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Why just England and Wales and not the whole UK? Obviously trying to cover up their widespread massacres in Scotland and Northern Ireland.
The US also happens to have about 5 times the population of the UK.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

John Bingham wrote:Why just England and Wales and not the whole UK? Obviously trying to cover up their widespread massacres in Scotland and Northern Ireland.
The US also happens to have about 5 times the population of the UK.
Scotland and Northern Ireland have more "devolved" parliaments than England and Wales - that is more autonomy within the UK, so I guess they have separate figures. But yeah, prob'ly loads of massacres lol.
Seriously though, most gun violence in the UK in the past 24 years has probably occurred in NI, including police shootings.

But, however you count, even divided by 5 or 10 or any figure you like, there is no comparison between the number of people shot by police in the UK and the US. Statistically, i think it's got more to do with the amount of armed police rather than the size of the population. And the UK police do manage to kill people without using guns.

According to this report in 2013/14, 130 people in England and Wales died "during or following police contact": including 12 road traffic fatalities, 11 deaths in or following police custody, and 68 apparent suicides following police custody. But no one was shot.
https://www.ipcc.gov.uk/sites/default/f ... t_1314.pdf
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

AE86 wrote:I'm genuinely interested in a comparison with "knife crimes" vs. "gun crimes". Meaning, I'm just curious is the amount of crime by other means in the UK vs. the US. I'm betting it's not proportionate, but I'm still curious.
nearly 10 years out of date but its a comparison...

In or about 2006, there were about 60 million people in the UK as a whole, including Scotland.

In England and Wales alone — discounting Scotland — there were over 163 thousand knife crimes.

By the end of 2006, there were more than 300 million people in the US as a whole.

In the US as a whole, there were fewer than 400 thousand gun crimes.

In the UK, based on these numbers, there was one knife crime commited for every 374 people (rounded down).

In the US, based on these numbers, there was one gun crime committed for every 750 people — less than half a gun crime per 374 people (about 0.4987 gun crimes per 374 people, actually).

That means that, based on these statistics, you are more than twice as likely to be a victim of knife crime in the UK as you are to be a victim of gun crime in the US.
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Post by vladimir »

I've been knifed once, in the back, (cue; backstabbers.com joke) totally painless until a few hours later.

I'm guessing a bullet would be more painful, and i think the fatality rate for knifings is lower than gunshot wounds?
Jesus loves you...Mexico is great, right? ;)
Sailorman
Expatriate

Post by Sailorman »

The US federal government has sponsored the militarization of the police forces in America. Every city/town in America has a military-SWAT team. Instead of the police uniforms of old, its black Nazi Waffen SS uniforms. Shoot first is the norm, not the exception. (dead people don't sue you.) Police forces now have military grade equipment. Read and understand Posse Comitatus 18USC1385 at 20 stat 152. The thugs and crooks that now run America are scared sh*tless of the American public.

Almost every US federal agency has a SWAT team. Does the Tennessee Valley Power Authority need a SWAT team, or the Office of Personell, or the Forest Service, or the Bureau of Land management (blunder land management.)

Its not a matter of IF the Sheeple in America will eventually have enough of this BS, but when and what will set it off.
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Post by vladimir »

I think they can only change this if Netanyahu gives Obama permission.
Jesus loves you...Mexico is great, right? ;)
AE86
Expatriate
Japan

Post by AE86 »

Jamie_Lambo wrote:
AE86 wrote:I'm genuinely interested in a comparison with "knife crimes" vs. "gun crimes". Meaning, I'm just curious is the amount of crime by other means in the UK vs. the US. I'm betting it's not proportionate, but I'm still curious.
nearly 10 years out of date but its a comparison...

In or about 2006, there were about 60 million people in the UK as a whole, including Scotland.

In England and Wales alone — discounting Scotland — there were over 163 thousand knife crimes.

By the end of 2006, there were more than 300 million people in the US as a whole.

In the US as a whole, there were fewer than 400 thousand gun crimes.

In the UK, based on these numbers, there was one knife crime commited for every 374 people (rounded down).

In the US, based on these numbers, there was one gun crime committed for every 750 people — less than half a gun crime per 374 people (about 0.4987 gun crimes per 374 people, actually).

That means that, based on these statistics, you are more than twice as likely to be a victim of knife crime in the UK as you are to be a victim of gun crime in the US.
Cheers Jamie.

Really puts it into perspective then, take away the guns and the knives take over.
-insert signature here
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic