Destinations in the US- where would you go?

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Destinations in the US- where would you go?

Post by Freightdog »

…and where would you avoid, if a long term stay (6months~1year) were expected?

Atlanta
Boise
Chicago
Colorado Springs
Dallas/Fort Worth*
Denver
Detroit
Fresno
Houston*
Los Angeles
Minneapolis/St. Paul
Palm Springs
Phoenix
Portland (OR)
Salt Lake City
San Diego
San Francisco
Seattle/Tacoma
Tucson

This is as a family- Khmer partner who has barely travelled, and nothing further than Kuala Lumpur, along with a 4~5year old boy.
If you have some real input, I’d be interested in your thoughts.

If this were 35 years ago, I’d be leaping after the California options, and South/South-West.
I’ve visited Texas professionally and personally a few times, but the last was 13years ago, and Corpus Christie or San Antonio ain’t on the agenda, anyway. (ps. USS Texas is in for refurb/Maintenance)
Michigan and the North don’t appeal much, except Seattle, maybe.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Re: Destinations in the US- where would you go?

Post by newkidontheblock »

Houston has 3 Khmer temples. One is CPP controlled with deep ties to the motherland. Most of the elderly and retired go there. The other nearby, is where the younger families go, many mixed race couples and even non Khmer. Both are located in Houston’s North West side. The third temple is located to the South in Alvin, Khmer farmer country, known as the farmer’s temple.

However Houston is not a Khmer food paradise. Most Khmer cook food at home. Supplies are either local or shipped in from Cambodia. There is only one restaurant and one food truck. Near the Khmer restaurant is a Vietnamese supermarket that stocks Cambodian products. Also near the restaurant is the only Cambodian store in the area. There are many Khmer in the area. Khmer company won’t be a problem.

Dallas has 2 Khmer restaurants- one fake, the other in an Asian Mall.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Those places all suck. Go to New York City, it's the best city in the world.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
BklynBoy
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by BklynBoy »

John Bingham wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 11:37 pm Those places all suck. Go to New York City, it's the best city in the world.

exactly!!! I was just gonna say how is NYC not on the list?? I am offended as a native New Yorker!!
Manhattan keeps on making it, Brooklyn keeps on taking it
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

BklynBoy wrote:
John Bingham wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 11:37 pm Those places all suck. Go to New York City, it's the best city in the world.

exactly!!! I was just gonna say how is NYC not on the list?? I am offended as a native New Yorker!!
How welcoming is NYC long term to a Khmer partner who has rarely travelled and a family?

It’s an exciting, noisy, smelly place.

Does it have a large Khmer population that lives close by his better half can settle into?

Is the rent cheap? Are utilities and the cost of living cheap enough for a relocated family from Cambodia?

NYC is a great place. Top vacation place to go and see. Wonderful food and sights.

When I saw an apartment about the size of my Texas closet, I passed on working and living there.
Roryborealis
Expatriate

Post by Roryborealis »

Watch out for those Arizona cities you listed. Flagstaff is nice, but those other cities have plenty of trouble, even if you're not looking for it. Also, Detroit is affordable but cold and neglected. If you require a metropolis, then Minneapolis/St. Paul has some nice spots, though it gets cold too. Same with Seattle. Houston is a shit show. Gangland turf war, just like New Orleans and alot of the east Atlantic coast cities. Try west Texas if you must have the Lonestar. Montana has plenty of space too...
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

BklynBoy wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 12:59 am

It’s not my list, though I don’t really like New York, anyway. Too big. Boston isn’t on there, either, which is disappointing as I have family there, and have spent a bit of time there over the years.

Colorado could be interesting.
This project might not come to fruition, and for now it’s all just background research.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

Boston should be on the list. Massachusetts has a huge Khmer community.
BklynBoy
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by BklynBoy »

newkidontheblock wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 1:29 am
BklynBoy wrote:

How welcoming is NYC long term to a Khmer partner who has rarely travelled and a family?

Does it have a large Khmer population that lives close by his better half can settle into?

Is the rent cheap? Are utilities and the cost of living cheap enough for a relocated family from Cambodia?

NYC is a great place. Top vacation place to go and see. Wonderful food and sights.

When I saw an apartment about the size of my Texas closet, I passed on working and living there.
NYC is welcoming to anyone. What the fuck you want? a red carpet entrance w/ flowers? lol
I can understand wanting to be near something familiar when moving and NYC doesn't have a large Khmer population at all. NYC is not smelly lol
Rents are extremely high but this is where I grew up so it's normal to me. I live in a rent stabalized apartment in Brooklyn and it helps to have roommates
But yes, if I didn't grow up here i can imagine it being too much to live here
Manhattan keeps on making it, Brooklyn keeps on taking it
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

BklynBoy wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 4:21 am
newkidontheblock wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 1:29 am
BklynBoy wrote:

NYC is welcoming to anyone. What the fuck you want? a red carpet entrance w/ flowers? lol
I can understand wanting to be near something familiar when moving and NYC doesn't have a large Khmer population at all. NYC is not smelly lol
Rents are extremely high but this is where I grew up so it's normal to me. I live in a rent stabalized apartment in Brooklyn and it helps to have roommates
But yes, if I didn't grow up here i can imagine it being too much to live here
It might be a sod of a drive, too. I have my doubts whether I could get to any of those places on the list in an hour, by car, from New York or Boston.

The list isn’t mine. But if someone told me I had to choose one, and I had a week to do so, I’d rather not be throwing darts at a map as a strategy.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic