Is it worth opening and running a bar as a foreigner in Cambodia, or not?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
La Quenta
Expatriate
Swaziland

Is it worth opening and running a bar as a foreigner in Cambodia, or not?

Post by La Quenta »

Hi,

I am considering moving to Cambodia to open and run a bar.

It would not be a 'girl bar/hostess bar'. It would be a bar/pub targeted towards foreigners, but with locals also more than welcome.

I have a good amount in savings and investments back in my home country, a slice of which i'd put into this venture.

Although I haven't lived in Cambodia for any length of time, I have lived in South East Asia for over a decade and have visited Phnom Penh, Siem Reap and Kampot on multiple occasions. So i'm not what you'd call new to the country, or the culture.

I am currently a professional earning a good salary in another SE-Asian country, but i'm looking for a change of pace.

The question is, is it worth it? I do not want to enter a venture like this if it will be stressful. I want to create, essentially, a pub with a great laid back friendly vibe, cute girls pulling the beers who are versed in exceptional customer service, a menu of food that is small and easily manageable from a catering perspective - maybe just 10-12 items - but really really good quality. The kind of place people want to come along to and have a chat for hours and want to keep coming back.

Key questions:

1. What are the main pitfalls and risks, from those who have done it before or who know people who have done it before?
2. How 'enthusiastic' are local authorities in wanting their cut and how much do they typically seek?
3. Where is a better location - Phnom Penh, Siem Reap or Kampot?
4. What do people want? What kind of watering hole would you like to see that isn't already available?
5. Whats makes a 'good vibe' for you in a watering hole in SE Asia?

Thank you in advance.
Bongmab69
Expatriate
Belgium

Re: Is it worth opening and running a bar as a foreigner in Cambodia, or not?

Post by Bongmab69 »

Its very easy to make a million dollar with a bar: start with 2 million !!
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Post by Ghostwriter »

Did you at least browsed all the related threads on this forum and the other one ?
DeparRudeAnts
Expatriate
Afghanistan

Post by DeparRudeAnts »

I know I don't need to say but it obviously depends on location, what type of bar it is, girls and service, events etc..

You're likely going to have a lot of members here that will give you terrible advice or just poo poo the whole idea. Plenty of places here do not need more bars..

I'm going to take a bit of flack for this answer I know, but if I was to open a bar anywhere, it would be Sihanoukville. Hear me out..

There are no pubs.. but expats have started to return.
The city is pretty clean now, the roads are generally very good. There's backpackers still going to the islands and passing through staying a few nights.

As far as pubs go, you would basically have zero competition and the opportunity to get some solid regulars.. the places that could come close to being called a pub, are still just girly bars. Difficult to relax with a drink with no hassle, no live music, no pub quiz, no happy hours.

On two occasions lately, Khmer people have asked me if I have any friends here.. i answered no. But yes, I've got friends. There's people I know here. But no local for us to go.

Rent is cheap as chips nowadays. My room 5 years ago was 350 per month.. now I'm paying 100 a month

I was considering opening a pub style bar here around 6 months ago.. but funds got diverted to school fees.

As for the rest of the country, and you will probably hear a lot of this.. but there's not much need for and more bars in Cambo.

If avoid kampot like the plague. All the expats huddled together there. Lots of competition, lots of failing businesses, very small town..

Siem reap although it does have enough expats, is still a tourist town, with plenty of competition as far as bars go (although a lot less than back in the day). Most westerners there are only staying 2/3 nights. Tough one to crack. A few places do it well tho, but I wouldn't like to try. And you'd have to be messing around with craft ales or something of that sort.. a bit too much effort. Couldn't just get away with a 'pub' there i don't think.

As for PP, they definitely don't need any more drinking spots.. but easy bars to fill when done right.

Go on, Sihanouk. I dare ya
Last edited by DeparRudeAnts on Mon Jun 12, 2023 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sumfin smart
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

Question: How do you make a small fortune in Cambodia?

Answer: Arrive at Phnom Penh airport with a large fortune and then go and buy a bar.
techietraveller84
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by techietraveller84 »

One thing I wish I could find more overseas are places that serve beer that isn't cheap piss beer.
Buck
Expatriate
Canada

Post by Buck »

techietraveller84 wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 12:44 am One thing I wish I could find more overseas are places that serve beer that isn't cheap piss beer.
In PP you can try: Botanico, Himawari, Hops Garden, Box Office, Urban Beer House 310, The Exchange, Hangar 44, or Alchemy. All of them have, or had upon last visit, outstanding beers and a cool vibe.

S/F

B
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

DeparRudeAnts wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 10:12 pm I know I don't need to say but it obviously depends on location, what type of bar it is, girls and service, events etc..

You're likely going to have a lot of members here that will give you terrible advice or just poo poo the whole idea. Plenty of places here do not need more bars..

I'm going to take a bit of flack for this answer I know, but if I was to open a bar anywhere, it would be Sihanoukville. Hear me out..

There are no pubs.. but expats have started to return.
The city is pretty clean now, the roads are generally very good. There's backpackers still going to the islands and passing through staying a few nights.

As far as pubs go, you would basically have zero competition and the opportunity to get some solid regulars.. the places that could come close to being called a pub, are still just girly bars. Difficult to relax with a drink with no hassle, no live music, no pub quiz, no happy hours.

On two occasions lately, Khmer people have asked me if I have any friends here.. i answered no. But yes, I've got friends. There's people I know here. But no local for us to go.

Go on, Sihanouk. I dare ya
I would go one further - I'd open a hostel/guesthouse for westerners.( IF I wanted to start a business, which I don't, but I have done this before.) As whatshisname says up there^^ people are still going to the islands and often need an inbetween place to stay. Then you could also have a bar on the side where you could get some regular customers, do some food for guests - breakfasts are easy money and even a restricted evening menu could bring in the locals, both expat and Khmers.

Yeah, I dare ya too. :3some:
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

La Quenta wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 8:20 pm Hi,

I am considering moving to Cambodia to open and run a bar.

It would not be a 'girl bar/hostess bar'. It would be a bar/pub targeted towards foreigners, but with locals also more than welcome.

I have a good amount in savings and investments back in my home country, a slice of which i'd put into this venture.

Although I haven't lived in Cambodia for any length of time, I have lived in South East Asia for over a decade and have visited Phnom Penh, Siem Reap and Kampot on multiple occasions. So i'm not what you'd call new to the country, or the culture.

I am currently a professional earning a good salary in another SE-Asian country, but i'm looking for a change of pace.

The question is, is it worth it? I do not want to enter a venture like this if it will be stressful. I want to create, essentially, a pub with a great laid back friendly vibe, cute girls pulling the beers who are versed in exceptional customer service, a menu of food that is small and easily manageable from a catering perspective - maybe just 10-12 items - but really really good quality. The kind of place people want to come along to and have a chat for hours and want to keep coming back.

Key questions:

1. What are the main pitfalls and risks, from those who have done it before or who know people who have done it before?
2. How 'enthusiastic' are local authorities in wanting their cut and how much do they typically seek?
3. Where is a better location - Phnom Penh, Siem Reap or Kampot?
4. What do people want? What kind of watering hole would you like to see that isn't already available?
5. Whats makes a 'good vibe' for you in a watering hole in SE Asia?

Thank you in advance.
Do you have any experience in the hospitality sector?

If yes, put it to use.

If no, the odds your amateurism will pull you down are larger than the odds you're a natural talent in running a bar.
DeparRudeAnts
Expatriate
Afghanistan

Post by DeparRudeAnts »

[/quote]
I would g o one further - I'd open a hostel/guesthouse for westerners.( IF I wanted to start a business, which I don't, but I have done this before.) As whatshisname says up there^^ people are still going to the islands and often need an inbetween place to stay. Then you could also have a bar on the side where you could get some regular customers, do some food for guests - breakfasts are easy money and even a restricted evening menu could bring in the locals, both expat and Khmers.

Yeah, I dare ya too. :3some:
[/quote]

Too right.. hostel/guesthouse management is my background, worked in lots of bars but only as a manager once (as the only member of staff i was cleaning toilets too).
That place was a definite pub, on a street full of girly bars. Pretty busy place most nights, lots of regulars
sumfin smart
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic