Coconuts

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Gazzy
Expatriate
South Africa

Coconuts

Post by Gazzy »

A strange question but a friend is returning to Ukraine and wants to take 4 coconuts as gifts. Apparently they're not available there. Does anyone know if this is even possible?
Grand Barong
Expatriate
Australia

Re: Coconuts

Post by Grand Barong »

Good Luck to them...

Bluenose
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Bluenose »

In general carrying fresh/unprocessed plant material is not a good idea
Gazzy
Expatriate
South Africa

Post by Gazzy »

Yeah, I figured as much. Thanks.
Grand Barong
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Grand Barong »

I'm guessing you would have to fly into somewhere like Poland & get the train into Ukraine, So import rules would need to be checked for the country of arrival first. I'm thinking coconut imports wouldn't be too high on Ukraine border securities priority list at the moment.

I'm still not sure if this is a serious question tbh... :roll:
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

He'd be better off taking some "pineapples"
Gazzy
Expatriate
South Africa

Post by Gazzy »

Grand Barong wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 6:08 pm I'm guessing you would have to fly into somewhere like Poland & get the train into Ukraine, So import rules would need to be checked for the country of arrival first. I'm thinking coconut imports wouldn't be too high on Ukraine border securities priority list at the moment.

I'm still not sure if this is a serious question tbh... :roll:
Yup, it's a real question. The lady in question is returning to Kiev as her contract has finished here. Innocently she wants to take some coconuts to her family as they're unavailable over there. Yeah I guess it's a train journey from Poland.
ExPenhMan
Expatriate
Canada

Post by ExPenhMan »

An option is to take 3 or 4 1-litre cartons of coco water. There'd be a lot of wastage in taking green coconuts, plus she'd need the axe skills. Just a thought . . .
Captain Bonez
Baked
Nigeria

Post by Captain Bonez »

I took a coconut back to England as a Christmas present for a laugh about 7 or 8 years ago. No problems and just used a saw to chop the top off and a drill to get inside :thumb:
If you enjoy noise pollution and obnoxious driving practices, Phnom Penh is the place for you!

This.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Each country has its own take on what constitutes restricted produce. A fact that catches out a great many travellers from Asia and Africa- the worst things I’ve seen are heads of things like crocodiles, pigs faces. I’m sure there’s worse.

If the stuff can even get on the plane in the first place, then each arrival and transit border would need to be considered.

An Aussie on arrival into oz recently got caught out by a sandwich- I don’t recall whether it was reported on here or if I read it elsewhere.

It’s pests, communicable diseases, morally limited stuff (Chinese and their delight in sucking on dead tiger dick, for instance).
Sometimes, it just needs some appropriate paperwork and declaration on arrival. Best to check with the authorities directly prior to departure. Appropriately packaged may make life complicated.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic