Graves in School Sites

Have questions or resources regarding Khmer Culture? This forum is all about the Kingdom of Cambodia's culture. Khmer language, Cambodian weddings, French influence, Cambodian architecture, Cambodian politics, Khmer customs, etc? This is the place. Living in Cambodia can cause you to experience a whole new level of culture shock, so feel free to talk about all things related to the Khmer people, and their traditions. And if you want something in Khmer script translated into English, you will probably find what you need.
Marx
Expatriate
Germany

Graves in School Sites

Post by Marx »

I pass this Cham school often, but only today noticed the burial site (in the foreground of the picture).

The only other place I've seen burial sites in schools is in Nicaragua, where teachers who were murdered for their opposition to the Somoza regime were subsequently given hero's graves by the Sandinistas. Generally speaking, the two land uses are not thought to be mutually compatible.

Anyone have any other examples of this?
Revolutions have all shown that many things can be changed, with the exception of people themselves.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Graves in School Sites

Post by Kammekor »

Marx wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 5:18 pm Image

I pass this Cham school often, but only today noticed the burial site (in the foreground of the picture).

The only other place I've seen burial sites in schools is in Nicaragua, where teachers who were murdered for their opposition to the Somoza regime were subsequently given hero's graves by the Sandinistas. Generally speaking, the two land uses are not thought to be mutually compatible.

I don't think the site belongs to the school. Looks like the school was just built next to it.
Marx
Expatriate
Germany

Re: Graves in School Sites

Post by Marx »

Kammekor wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 6:05 pm
Marx wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 5:18 pm Image

TV

I don't think the site belongs to the school. Looks like the school was just built next to it.
It’s one site. The barbed wire fence is the site boundary.
Revolutions have all shown that many things can be changed, with the exception of people themselves.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic