Addis Ethiopian Restaurant

Discussions about restaurants, cafes, coffee shops or bars in Cambodia. Feel free to write any reviews you have, whether its the best burger you've had in Phnom Penh or the worse pizza in Kampot, we want to read it! Discussions about Khmer dishes are also in here, or you can leave your own. If you own a restaurant, feel free to let the expat community know about it here so that we can come check it out. Found a favorite cafe or have a place we should avoid? Tell us about it. Asian recipes & questions are always welcome.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

House number 1Eo, Street 172
Phnom Penh

Service 5/5
Food 5/5
Value for money 5/5
Ambience 3/5

I had wanted to go to this restaurant a few times but it always appeared to be closed. THen, when I wanted to eat French in the restaurant opposite, the French restaurant was closed and and Addis (formerly Sarah Ethiopian Restaurant) was open.

I am quite partial to Ethiopian food and was really curious as to whether they could pull it off. I went with the Missus and we ordered the Addis Combo for USD 12.00. We also ordered the Zilzil Tibs (Ethiopian beef stew) for USD 10.00 and that was a mistake as we ended up with way too much food.

The Combo came on the traditional plate of Injera, a sourdough bread and with "tibs", meat sauteed with vegetables, "doro wot", the Ethiopian national dish made with chicken, "minchet abish", beef stew, "tikil gomen", a vegetable dish, and a few more. It also came with more injera on the side.

The food may not have been the best Ethiopian food I have ever had, but it was pretty darn close. And, for 12 Dollars, it was an absolute steal. The Addis Combo is more than enough for 2 people and I would call any meal for 6 bucks real good value for money in Phnom Penh.

The service is taken care of by a couple of Ethiopian brothers(?) who are super friendly if a little amateurish, but I mean that in a good way, The restaurant obviously attracts a fair share of backpackers; it was funny to see a white guy with full-on dreadlocks eating there. I do not care about this whole cultural appropriation thingy one bit, but honkeys in dreads just look stupid.

Anyway, I went back yesterday and only had the 'doro wot" and again, it was excellent.

No, those are not napkins, but Injira breads.

Special mention of their lime juice, it is one of the few places that sells real lime juice and not just water with a squirt of lime.

Ambience is nothing much to write home about, typical shophouse atmosphere. There is a concrete beam on the way to the restaurant on which I am surely going to brain myself sooner or later.

cautious colin
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Addis Ethiopian Restaurant

Post by cautious colin »

Nice people, good "home cooked" food.

I should go more often than I do

Edit: have only been when called Sara

Is it the same owners?
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

I've gone there many times since it was Sara and always enjoyed it. I believe Sara was owned by the current owner's brother or something, and the name was changed when he opened another restaurant.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
violet
Expatriate

Post by violet »

I went a couple of times when it was Sara too and second the comments before me. Glad to learn they survived the C19 troubles.
Despite what angsta states, it’s clear from reading through his posts that angsta supports the free FreePalestine movement.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

cautious colin wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 3:54 pm Nice people, good "home cooked" food.

I should go more often than I do

Edit: have only been when called Sara

Is it the same owners?
I am not sure as it was always closed when it was still Sara.
mikeukt
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by mikeukt »

Very interesting. Always good to hear of new types of food available in PP.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic