COP27...Better Never than Late?

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
orichá
Expatriate
Canada

COP27...Better Never than Late?

Post by orichá »

Well, forgive me for bringing this up, but...

Explosion’ in number of fossil fuel lobbyists at Cop27 climate summit

https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... ate-summit

I guess the inevitable corruption big business brings to the world is just part of the paradox, eh? Earn a salary to help burn things up faster!

Warren Buffett just invested more in OIL too:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.co ... index.html

~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~
“There are terrible difficulties in the notion of probability, but we may ignore them at present.” - Bertrand Russell
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Re: COP27...Better Never than Late?

Post by Ghostwriter »

The parody of the COP 21 clip was hilarious already (although in french), the real clip of the COP 27 must be a great piece of entertainment for sure...
orichá
Expatriate
Canada

Post by orichá »

Yes, it's easier to parody than do something... Of course, even cynical humor reflects the sense of futility. In the French video, one guy say, "It's normal, keep consuming more and more" and the girl at the end says, "always close the door..."

Last night, they finally made a deal that obliges rich nations to pay damages and support to developing nation victims like Pakistan... If one steps back and looks at the big picture. It's kind of weird. Like an insurance adjuster coming to have a look at your house after it's burned down, or your car got smashed, and promising to look into your eligibility for compensation.

It feels like a leaky boat. The world is in denial or at least, majority don't care. As the parody suggests, growth economy rules the world.

Personally, I don't see how anything will change for the better until we stop using fossil fuels. But, politicians have no power over big capitalism! Big oil decides for us all...

As for the real COP27, I watched the second day of speeches, and the most eloquent and moving came from the leaders of poor and badly affected countries like Pakistan, or small ones like the Bahamas. Rich country leaders always say one thing, but do another. Like Norway, etc...

:tard:
~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~
“There are terrible difficulties in the notion of probability, but we may ignore them at present.” - Bertrand Russell
grumpygit
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by grumpygit »

It was amusing watching son of Castro getting bollocked like a slapped schoolboy by Winnie the Pooh.
Please don't confuse my personality with my attitude. The former is me, the latter a reflection of you.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Post by Ghostwriter »

orichá wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 1:38 pm Yes, it's easier to parody than do something...
Chill, It's not a choice between two things, one cancelling the other....At least this is the only mockery of the COPs i've seen so far, and the people behind it are well known for their cynical approach.

For now, we are been told to slow our electric consumption, so we can be able to charge our electric cars...
Wood pellets for stoves are x5 times more expensive than a year before (3.5 E -> 16 E more or less for a 15 kg bag) although it's a clever way to heat the house while using sawdust, but no ceiling to the price increase yet.
Meanwhile, AC for many while windows open in Asia, more coal to make electricity so people can charge their electric expensive cars in many countries, and x4 times more metals to dig so we can all have electric cars.

It's laughable on many levels.
^^
grumpygit
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by grumpygit »

cop 26 in Glasgow.. they had to use diesel generators to charge the fleet of electric cars..

oh the irony
Please don't confuse my personality with my attitude. The former is me, the latter a reflection of you.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic