Russia has recruited as many as 15,000 Nepalis to fight its war.

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Russia has recruited as many as 15,000 Nepalis to fight its war.

Post by phuketrichard »

Is Putin running out of Russians to fight the war?
Nepali mercenaries are fighting for Russia in Ukraine, lured to kill far from their Himalayan homeland by promises of a passport and cash, but wounded returnees warn anyone tempted to join the war: "Do not come."

While Nepali soldiers-for-hire can bank in a month nearly double what they could earn in a year back home, conditions are brutal and many have been killed or wounded.

"I watched my friends die in front of me," said Surya Sharma, who asked to use a pseudonym for legal reasons.

"Nepalis going probably cannot even imagine how horrific the war is."

Shortly after the 24-year-old underwent basic training with Russian forces, his unit was attacked on their way to a frontline in eastern Ukraine.

"When the bombs and bullets were raining, I thought my life was ending, that that was it," he said. "I was there to die..................

To attract fighters, Russian President Vladimir Putin has offered Russian citizenship -- which allows recipients to work -- on top of monthly salaries as high as $2,200.

That tempts some in a country with a GDP per capita of little more than $1,300, according to the World Bank -- one of the lowest in Asia.
https://www.barrons.com/news/there-to-d ... e-76646eeb

Nepal asks Russia to send back Nepalis recruited to fight in Ukraine and the bodies of those killed

In September, Cuban authorities arrested 17 people in connection with what they said was a network to recruit Cuban nationals to fight for Russia in Ukraine.

Earlier this month, Russian President Vladimir Putin signed a decree that speeds up a path to Russian citizenship for foreigners who enlist in the country’s military as Moscow tries to replenish its troops in Ukraine by various methods, including the recruitment of migrants.

Ukraine is also believed to have hired some Nepalis to fight as soldiers, but Saud said he did not have more information on this.
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
ressl
Expatriate
Germany

Re: Russia has recruited as many as 15,000 Nepalis to fight its war.

Post by ressl »

Nothing of this news report surprises me. I have been to Nepal and got first hand experience of how the people, their mentality and how the whole economy of the country works (and what it depends on - no, I wasn't there with/for an NGO).
Driving on Cambodian roads is just like playing a classic arcade top scroller. The only difference is a force feedback controller, the limitation to only one life and the inability to restart, once Game Over
Yobbo
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Yobbo »

War isn't all sunshine and lollipops!
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

ressl wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 9:40 am Nothing of this news report surprises me. I have been to Nepal and got first hand experience of how the people, their mentality and how the whole economy of the country works (and what it depends on - no, I wasn't there with/for an NGO).
agree
Please elaborate how the country works
I've lived, worked, travelled to Nepal since the 80's, the country depends on Aid and tourism, The majority of people are dirt poor< the earthquake of 2015 fucked them as well as the ending of the monarchy( when they prince went mad) and the Maoists have not helped things at all>

great people but facing enormous problems
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Roryborealis
Expatriate

Post by Roryborealis »

Predatory recruiting of impoverished minority populations feeds Russia's war machine.

How many Nepalese will die?
How many Syrians?
Serbs? Tatars? and on and on and on...

You don't expect Russians to fight themselves, do you?
ressl
Expatriate
Germany

Post by ressl »

the country depends on Aid and tourism
Not much to add here, except for the aid part they depend on earthquakes and other natural disasters to keep the money flow. To maximize the medial impact, buildings are intentionally built to fail in case of the to be expected earthquakes. Other sources for squeezing money out of tenderhearted grannies in the west are the evergreens, like professional in scene set fake orphan organizations, schools, food programs and so on.
I can't share the opinion of Nepalis being great people, they use every opportunity to squeeze out money of a foreigner and they have no issues to lie in your face without a blink to achieve that. It gets a bit better in very, very remote areas, but this involves several day trips away from the main roads
Driving on Cambodian roads is just like playing a classic arcade top scroller. The only difference is a force feedback controller, the limitation to only one life and the inability to restart, once Game Over
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

??? when were u last in Nepal? i was up there in 2019, still many buildings not repaired, (lack of $$$)

"...buildings are intentionally built to fail in case of the to be expected earthquakes"
most of that was destroyed, fell down, was built hundreds of ago :-)

to say they build buildings to not withstand earthquakes to get aid money is simply a crazy idea

Everyone i talked to when i was last up there, say Nepal is NOT better, ( i still know many Nepalis and Tibetans in business there) than it was 20 + years ago

hard being stuck between 2 superpowers ( India and China
ressl
Expatriate
Germany

Post by ressl »

I was there 2016. I have seen how they (re)build the houses.The "material" (you can't call this crap mortar) they use between the bricks is not connecting with the bricks at all, you can separate them by hand once this mass is dry or wash the remains away with a wet piece of cloth. Seen exactly that many times and after that treatment the brick looks like new (and is used again for other construction)! And this wasn't just at one of the construction sites. If this is not intentional build to break, I don't know.
Cooldude
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Cooldude »

The Ghurkas have been assisting the British in battle for the last 200 years. I imagine they're pretty good at it by now.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Cooldude wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 4:45 pm The Ghurkas have been assisting the British in battle for the last 200 years. I imagine they're pretty good at it by now.
from what i have read, heard they are given 2 weeks training and sent to the front to be canon fodder for the Russian troops

Since the war in Ukraine began almost two years ago, hundreds of men have moved from Nepal to Russia to join its army. They were drawn by a promise to live in Russia, where incomes are much higher. Instead of living in Russia, some feel they're being sent to die for Russia. Reporter Shalu Yadav went to Nepal.

UNIDENTIFIED PEOPLE: (Chanting in non-English language).

SHALU YADAV, BYLINE: Marching towards the frontline of a foreign conflict, a group of young Nepali men cheer each other with a war cry in their native language.

UNIDENTIFIED PEOPLE: (Chanting in non-English language).

YADAV: But the excitement soon turns to horror, as one of the injured soldiers in occupied Ukrainian territory tells me.

UNIDENTIFIED PERSON #1: (Through interpreter) I was sent to the front line twice, and it's really scary out there. It's a horrific war. I lost so many of my friends in front of my eyes. I couldn't help them, even as they kept crying for help.

YADAV: The fear in this Nepalese fighter's voice is palpable, and he doesn't want to reveal his identity for fear of reprisal by the Russian army. He tells me that Nepali men are being sent to the front line to effectively die.

UNIDENTIFIED PERSON #1: (Through interpreter) The system is such that after being trained for about 15 days, foreigners like us who joined the Russian army are sent to the front line to fight. Local army men are not sent up there. We were accompanied by a few former convicts.

Wear down Ukraine, make them use all their ammunition and hope Trump gets in , cuts aid an its all

KATHMANDU, Feb 5: The Human Rights and Peace Society (HURPES) conducted a demonstration in front of the Russian Embassy in Kathmandu on Monday afternoon, protesting against the recruitment of Nepali nationals into the Russian army and their deployment in the war.

The agitating rights activists urged Russia to cease the attack on Ukraine and facilitate the safe return of Nepali nationals deployed in the Ukraine war.

The protestors called for an immediate halt to the recruitment of Nepalis into the Russian army for use in the war with Ukraine. They demanded the safe return of Nepalis involved in the conflict to Nepal without any conditions.

Participants in the demonstration displayed placards with slogans such as ‘Russia: Stop War, Promote Peace,’ ‘712 Days of War: Gained Nothing, Lost Many Things,’ ‘Russia: Send Back All Nepalis Recruited to Fight in Ukraine,’ ‘Russia: End Enmity, Save Humanity,’ and ‘Russia: Stop War in Ukraine.’

https://myrepublica.nagariknetwork.com/ ... o-feature/
Russian government's offer of citizenship to foreigners after one year of serving in its army on a contractual basis.

He was one of hundreds of Nepali men Russia has recruited to bolster its military forces in nearly three years of war against Ukraine. Now, after some of them have died or disappeared, Nepal's government says it's taking steps to prevent citizens from going and urging Russia to send back the country's men.
I find it strange that NO Major new network has picked up on this>>
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic