NagaWorld Unionists Arrested From Union Office on New Year’s Eve

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
orichá
Expatriate
Canada

Post by orichá »

https://vodenglish.news/breaking-nagawo ... years-eve/
~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~
“There are terrible difficulties in the notion of probability, but we may ignore them at present.” - Bertrand Russell
mannanman
Expatriate
Isle of Man

Re: NagaWorld Unionists Arrested From Union Office on New Year’s Eve

Post by mannanman »

I know locals celebrate “countdown” but it’s not like it’s a massive shock he was arrested at that time, or at all.

Sometimes I think people like him, and other political activists, just do stuff to get arrested and some recognition for themselves when in fact they care little about the actual cause or beliefs.
People of the world, spice up your life.
Retired Sailor
Tourist
Cambodia

Post by Retired Sailor »

mannanman wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 9:45 am I know locals celebrate “countdown” but it’s not like it’s a massive shock he was arrested at that time, or at all.

Sometimes I think people like him, and other political activists, just do stuff to get arrested and some recognition for themselves when in fact they care little about the actual cause or beliefs.
Do you not believe in unions?
mannanman
Expatriate
Isle of Man

Post by mannanman »

Retired Sailor wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 10:56 am
mannanman wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 9:45 am I know locals celebrate “countdown” but it’s not like it’s a massive shock he was arrested at that time, or at all.

Ahh, negative question. Always a bit confusing how to reply so I’ll say yes and no.

I wasn’t talking about unions per se just an observation about some social media hungry types.
But to answer your question. Cambodia allows unions. It lets a multitude of unions exist in one factory, for example. This way the government hopes they will in fight and trip each other up. It wouldn’t surprise me if another union(s) worked with the government to get this guy (and his union) fingered.

I remember Scargill and his ill thought out strikes for the coal miners. It was inevitable but all it did was turned the public and the government against the idea of unions, in any sector.
Also, any union rep I’ve met have mummy issues or are just interested in upsetting “them”. Never joined a union never will.
Some unions have the employees and employers best interest at heart.

Read the book Maverick by Ricardo Semler. That’s my view on unions, employees and how companies should work flawlessly.
Retired Sailor
Tourist
Cambodia

Post by Retired Sailor »

mannanman wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 11:04 am

Never joined a union never will.
Can I ask what kind of upbringing you had? Always curious on how your type come to be beyond simply silver spoon or boot licking.
mannanman
Expatriate
Isle of Man

Post by mannanman »

Retired Sailor wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 11:10 am

Can I ask what kind of upbringing you had? Always curious on how your type come to be beyond simply silver spoon or boot licking.
So you’re saying if you’re against Unions you’re automatically a Tory toff?
The death of the unions in the 80s was because everyone had enough of them.
Working class. Dad was Labour supporter. Also disliked Scargill.
Retired Sailor
Tourist
Cambodia

Post by Retired Sailor »

mannanman wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 11:39 am

Working class as in what? How old are you? No I do t mean you're automatically a Tory toff I'm just interested how people come to advocate against themselves
mannanman
Expatriate
Isle of Man

Post by mannanman »

Retired Sailor wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 11:52 am
mannanman wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 11:39 am

Working class as in what? How old are you? No I do t mean you're automatically a Tory toff I'm just interested how people come to advocate against themselves
You’re a union rep aren’t you. Only a rep would use that language. :ROFL:

It’s my opinion. Deal with it.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Retired Sailor wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 10:56 am Do you not believe in unions?
Retired sailor, your line of questioning, starting with your lead question (quoted above). Goes some way to make Mannamans point for him. I don’t know what your agenda or back ground may be, but in my working career, I’ve come across two distinct types of union and their representative.

The first, whose main objective is the promotion and preservation of the union, and along with it the representation and protection of its members.
The second, whose main objective is the representation and protection of its members, and thereby promoting its own existence on merit.

You strike me as belonging to the former. You’re more than welcome to respond and demonstrate that this is not the case (in a separate thread, if you wish) But you need to do some work to overcome the fact that you started on a false position by deliberately misrepresenting and taking out of context mannaman’s comments.
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Spigzy »

There's no such thing as a "job for life" any longer anyway, this makes unions utterly irrelevant. If your employer is some tyrannical dictatorship asking you to murder newborn puppies, just walk - like you would have done in 2-3 years when a better offer came along anyway.

Employers are then punished by having to pay somebody else to come in, usually over the odds, to replace you, do a worse job, take time to train & be more expensive etc - you teach the tyrants that feet matter, so looking after the good ones you have becomes paramount.

Solidarity Reg.
Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic