A Giant Temple 200 Years older Angkor Wat

Do you have a Cambodian trip report you want to share? Post it here, and feel free to link to your blog if it's a travel blog for Cambodia, South East Asia, or anywhere really. You can ask and answer questions about travel advice in Cambodia or just share your pictures and videos with us. Most people who live in or visit Cambodia have also checked out nearby countries like Vietnam, Thailand, Laos, Myanmar, Malaysia, Indonesia and the Philippines, and you can get to most of these countries by traveling overland, so put any travel plans, reviews or questions here. Discussions about dirt bike trails in here as well.
MrB
Expatriate
Great Britain

A Giant Temple 200 Years older Angkor Wat

Post by MrB »

Love this one, its an epic. & is best site to see the sunset or rise.

John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: A Giant Temple 200 Years older Angkor Wat

Post by John Bingham »

There's a pub in my home town that's 300 years older than Angkor Wat.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Post by Ghostwriter »

John Bingham wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 11:50 pm There's a pub in my home town that's 300 years older than Angkor Wat.
Off their tits before Khmers built it, not yet sober while frogs refound it.
It does explain a lot, actually.
:)
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Ghostwriter wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 3:27 am
John Bingham wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 11:50 pm There's a pub in my home town that's 300 years older than Angkor Wat.
Not really, we also have cathedrals that have been in constant operation since long before then. I prefer the tropical ruins though.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Samana Johann
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Samana Johann »

MrB wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 10:30 pm Love this one, its an epic. & is best site to see the sunset or rise.
(Just as a well meant advice, good householder Mr B.

As actually talented in speech: why not doing good researches, tell important cultural backgrounds, teach more useful. An actor causing his crowd increase greed and delusion, makes a living by shows, is headed downwardly and the more comic-like culture is introduced, the more it becomes simply junk-food and object for low consume. It's of course not sure good householder understands, but maybe he gives it a deeper thought, for his and many's long term benefit. It might sound strange, by stories are best told in ways the dwellers did: like an Aspsara, or Khmer (Khema, at peace, secure, soft) Does good householder remember the carefull moves, the carefull sounds and sublime and peacefull appearing of those actors telling of the old. It's not meant to act as Apsara as male, but maybe like a Brahma, reflecting good-will, sympatic joy, compassion and equanimity.)
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Post by Ghostwriter »

John Bingham wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 3:46 am
Ghostwriter wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 3:27 am
we also have cathedrals that have been in constant operation since long before then.
That explains the pub.
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

I always have a giggle when Aussies talk about how old some of their buildings are.
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
Khmu Nation
Expatriate
Laos

Post by Khmu Nation »

Australia is one of the worst countries on earth.
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Post by Ghostwriter »

Samana Johann wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 6:48 am
MrB wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 10:30 pm Love this one, its an epic. & is best site to see the sunset or rise.
(Just as a well meant advice, good householder Mr B.

As actually talented in speech: why not doing good researches, tell important cultural backgrounds, teach more useful. An actor causing his crowd increase greed and delusion, makes a living by shows, is headed downwardly and the more comic-like culture is introduced, the more it becomes simply junk-food and object for low consume. It's of course not sure good householder understands, but maybe he gives it a deeper thought, for his and many's long term benefit. It might sound strange, by stories are best told in ways the dwellers did: like an Aspsara, or Khmer (Khema, at peace, secure, soft) Does good householder remember the carefull moves, the carefull sounds and sublime and peacefull appearing of those actors telling of the old. It's not meant to act as Apsara as male, but maybe like a Brahma, reflecting good-will, sympatic joy, compassion and equanimity.)
Sorry, are you saying it's bad, acted, and creating greed & delusion ? :chin: I don't get it, especially the greed & delusion part.
Because i only see a passionate guy sharing his love for the culture, with nothing to sell, and no disrespect towards the audience neither the source.
This kind of person is a culture-opener, you can tell he's good at it when you feel the excitement and beauty he's sharing.
I actually have more respect for something when it's better explained, and i didn't cross anything better about the subject through Youtube so far.
Mr B might not be a scholar to you or to anybody, but i ain't either one, and maybe that's why i feel the emotion and the story he's sharing, instead of raw information vocalized by a subsidized archeologist with inflated reports full of useless data, at least to my profane's ears.
He's on his own budget here, all about passion, and as we know, empires, wars & religions are all about it too, so there he is, fitting the bill.

If i need to know more, i'm aware he's not alone caring about the subject, i can find more precise / correct facts from more specialized scholars.
But the point here is awaking interest about Cambodia's temples culture to an unspecialized audience, and that's just one good way to do it, 100 % acurate or not. Theré's always room for doubt or misinterpretations in that context, no biggie as we're all well aware of that when it comes to explaining mysterious past histories.

I'd be more concerned about history books from anywhere in the world, as they often telling one version of history, the writer's one.
Mr B isn't being a teacher, i don't know what the problem would be.
I say bravo, and many thanks to him or anybody else of goodwill for shedding a light on a fascinating subject on his own dime, while so many other people spend their precious time ruining the country or degrading themselves.

So what would be better, in your mind ?
Yobbo
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Yobbo »

I've been to Angkor Wat four times & wasn't aware of that one, I'll have to check it out next time.
Thanks MrB!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic