Where did all the tuk-tuks come from?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Randolphgb
Expatriate
Great Britain

Where did all the tuk-tuks come from?

Post by Randolphgb »

Last time I visited Phnom Phen was early 2020 just before the pandemic. Back then there I remember only seeing motorcycle trailer style tub-tuks.

So when I went at the start of this month I was surprised by how many new white tuk-tuks there were.

Where are they all coming from? How are drivers getting the money for them? Are they finance by the app companies?

Grab is new in Cambodia now so I wondered if there was some connection.

The other new things I noticed were the wheelie bins.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Where did all the tuk-tuks come from?

Post by John Bingham »

Randolphgb wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 2:49 pm Last time I visited Phnom Phen was early 2020 just before the pandemic. Back then there I remember only seeing motorcycle trailer style tub-tuks.
I'm not so sure about that, the Indian style tuk tuks were already taking over by around 2018.

post349258.html?hilit=indian%20tuk%20tuk#p349258
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Randolphgb wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 2:49 pm Last time I visited Phnom Phen was early 2020 just before the pandemic. Back then there I remember only seeing motorcycle trailer style tub-tuks.

So when I went at the start of this month I was surprised by how many new white tuk-tuks there were.

Where are they all coming from? How are drivers getting the money for them? Are they finance by the app companies?

Grab is new in Cambodia now so I wondered if there was some connection.

The other new things I noticed were the wheelie bins.

Yeah, as JB says they were prevalent by 2018, been assimilating since 2014 or so
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Anyway, they are bought or privately financed by the drivers. They are quite expensive, and have gone up a lot in price over the years. Around $3000 now I believe. The app companies don't pay for them but must give some incentive to put their livery on. Grab has been here a long time too, I think PassApp might have started up earlier but there wasn't much difference.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

John Bingham wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 4:58 pm Anyway, they are bought or privately financed by the drivers. They are quite expensive, and have gone up a lot in price over the years. Around $3000 now I believe. The app companies don't pay for them but must give some incentive to put their livery on. Grab has been here a long time too, I think PassApp might have started up earlier but there wasn't much difference.
Just South of 4k.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Now they are assembling the electric tuk-tuks.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Kung-fu Hillbilly »

ressl
Expatriate
Germany

Post by ressl »

AndyKK wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 7:55 pm Now they are assembling the electric tuk-tuks.
The Onions (T1) are a side project of Tada and used by them exclusively at the moment. They are intended to be sold to other companies in the future as well, but no B2C. They operate on a swap system exclusively, so the drivers can not charge them at home (different to the one from Oyika, which can do both).
Driving on Cambodian roads is just like playing a classic arcade top scroller. The only difference is a force feedback controller, the limitation to only one life and the inability to restart, once Game Over
Randolphgb
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Randolphgb »

Phnom Post have just published this article about the decline of the Remorque and the rise in three-wheeled Indian style tuk-tuks.

However, some of the claims in the article are nonsense, as there are still plenty of the old style around in Phnom Penh.

https://www.phnompenhpost.com/national- ... ay-drivers
Tootsfriend
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Tootsfriend »

Kung-fu Hillbilly wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 8:18 pm Well, originally......general-chatter/the-history-the-auto-ri ... 35702.html
Dont believe that communist propaganda . We all know what big tuk-tuks do, and they always end up with small baby tuk-tuks.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic