EU Impose Rice Tarrifs On Cambodia

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

EU Impose Rice Tarrifs On Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Note that this decision on rice tariffs has nothing to do with the EBA (Everything But Arms) agreement. It is a measure to protect European rice growers from cheap rice imports.

Italy Wins Three-Year EU Tariffs on Rice From Cambodia, Myanmar
Jonathan Stearns

Jan 16 2019, 10:34 PM
Jan 17 2019, 12:10 AM

(Bloomberg) -- The European Union will impose tariffs this week on rice from Cambodia and Myanmar for three years in response to a request by Italy for local producers to gain protection from the imports.

The EU will apply duties as of Jan. 18 on Indica rice from the two Asian countries, which had been exempted from levies through the bloc’s “GSP” program, giving poor nations around the world preferential market access.

The goal of the tariffs is to protect EU-based producers from a surge in imports. The duties will amount to 175 euros ($200) a metric ton in the first year, 150 euros a ton in the second year and 125 euros in the third.

“This surge in low-price imports has caused serious difficulties for EU rice producers,” the European Commission in Brussels said in an emailed statement on Wednesday. The decision to impose the levies will be published in the EU’s Official Journal on Thursday and take effect the following day.

The European import levies against Cambodia and Myanmar are the outcome of an investigation that the commission, the EU’s executive arm, opened in March 2018 as a result of a request the previous month by the Italian government.

The probe was based on a “safeguards” provision in the EU’s Generalized Scheme of Preferences allowing for the reintroduction of the bloc’s “Common Customs Tariff duties” for as long as three years.

The tariffs on rice are separate from EU threats to suspend GSP benefits for Cambodia and Myanmar as a result of alleged human-rights violations in the two countries.

©2019 Bloomberg L.P.
https://www.bloombergquint.com/business ... ia-myanmar
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Re: EU Impose Rice Tarrifs On Cambodia

Post by Duncan »

I have doubts that it will have any impact on Cambodia as there are plenty of other markets that buy rice for holding as emergency supply in case of droughts and flooding. Besides that Cambodia cannot supply enough rice to supply its present orders due to weather changes and conditions.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Cambodian Activist Arrested For Facebook Post on Rice Tariffs
2019-01-16
Cambodia’s Ministry of the Interior on Wednesday arrested a member of the banned Cambodia National Rescue Party after he posted a Facebook message saying the European Union plans to impose a tariff on Cambodian rice, sources in the country said.

Kong Mas, a political activist from Svay Rieng province, was taken into custody at a coffee shop in the capital Phnom Penh by around 10 officers accompanied by a government prosecutor, fellow CNRP member Em Sokvan told RFA’s Khmer Service.

“The police said they were arresting him because of his Facebook post. They said they wanted to question him” .
https://www.rfa.org/english/news/cambod ... 53641.html
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Arget
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Arget »

Just cannot help themselves....... Does anyone actually think before they jump into doing stupid shit these days?
davegorman
BANNED
France

Post by davegorman »

I wonder when they will start arresting barang on FB defaming and insulting HE, his cabinet and Cambodia in general?

I really wonder why some people choose to live here when all they do is complain about how shit it is.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Duncan wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:55 am I have doubts that it will have any impact on Cambodia as there are plenty of other markets that buy rice for holding as emergency supply in case of droughts and flooding. Besides that Cambodia cannot supply enough rice to supply its present orders due to weather changes and conditions.
Arget wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:11 pm Just cannot help themselves....... Does anyone actually think before they jump into doing stupid shit these days?
davegorman wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:02 pm I wonder when they will start arresting barang on FB defaming and insulting HE, his cabinet and Cambodia in general?

I really wonder why some people choose to live here when all they do is complain about how shit it is.

I hope those two posts weren't referring to me, cause if you read my post you will see I'm agreeing with the Cambodian side of the story.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
davegorman
BANNED
France

Post by davegorman »

It’s not always about you.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

davegorman wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:25 pm It’s not always about you.

OK, so it's about your Belgian friend.
Arget
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Arget »

davegorman wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:02 pm I wonder when they will start arresting barang on FB defaming and insulting HE, his cabinet and Cambodia in general?

What and who (Barangs)have been saying things on Facebook? =@
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Arget wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:56 pm

What and who (Barangs)have been saying things on Facebook? =@
:shrug: No idea what barangs on facebook have to do with this. DG is confused maybe ? CEO News reported that a Cambodian was arrested for posting the OP information (EU impose tariffs) on facebook. It's not a barang thing.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic