Cop Stop in Sihanoukville, Cambodia: "empty your pockets"

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Cop Stop in Sihanoukville, Cambodia: "empty your pockets"

Post by frank lee bent »

Got stopped by a cop on ekareach because my lights were on.

He asked me if i smoke "wanna"" , made me empty my pockets, and told me he would urine test me.I doubt the capacity to do this.
I actually did not know what he was talking about for some time.

He wanted $10. i paid $1.

I have a cambodian license.

I am 58 and respectable enough to look at, semi retired dammit.

Fair enough for lights on, but the rest of this stuff creates a very unfavorable impression of the police, and Sihanoukville in general.

How long before this guy pulls a bag of weed out of his pocket and says he found it on you and give him $100- or $1000!

A lot needs to change before US Embassy stops issuing travel warnings about this town.

The new chief of police needs to stop this
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Re: cop stop in Sihanoukville

Post by Anchor Moy »

The new chief of police needs to stop this
So who would you say is responsible for this new-found zealousness ?
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

excellent question.
makes me think i will not renew my lease.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

It's a worry. Like most things, you can hope it won't last, but it could also be the dawning of a brand new day - that from now on, instead of just the usual shit, you will also get searched for drugs. And since no drugs = no money, that could become a real problem.
I hope I'm wrong. I was planning to spend a lot more time there in my future life.

In the meantime, duck and cover, move out for 6 months and maybe it will blow over? :dragonchase:

(And i blame all this shit on the Russian pseudo-mafia and the drug-dealer guy with a bad hairdo. :whip: )
Sailorman
Expatriate

Post by Sailorman »

I got stopped by Snooky's BIB a while back for running a red light by orange market. I didn't and am usually the only one stopped at stoplights. He wanted 10,000 riel and I told him that was corruption and handed him my English language traffic stop/Cambodian law paperwork stating that its 5,000 riel for running a red light.

I told him I would pay the 5,000 riel even though I didn't run the light, and btw I want a receipt. They took the paperwork and took pictures of it, I handed the head thief 5,000 riel and got my receipt for 5,000 riel.

In my opinion all the deaths and traffic accidents here are directly related to the police not doing their job. I've sat at red lights and had police motorcycles/cars/trucks run the red light. Yes, leading by example, Not!
BOFH
Expatriate

Post by BOFH »

I heard of a similar incident in the capital. The cop looked inside a pack of smokes looking for this "wanna".

Something nasty could be pulling the strings. Be careful out there.
EDC
Expatriate
Australia

Post by EDC »

Sailorman wrote:I handed him my English language traffic stop/Cambodian law paperwork stating that its 5,000 riel for running a red light.
Could you please post a link to this paperwork or tell me where I can get a copy, as the only one I could find was an older outdated pamphlet that quoted 2,000 riel as the fine?

Cheers
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

Sailorman wrote:
In my opinion all the deaths and traffic accidents here are directly related to the police not doing their job.
Yes of course, because if the cops did their jobs, Sihanoukville, Cambodia would be 100% accident-free and have ZERO fatalities.
: facepalm:

Lazy fucking pigs.
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
Feticheur
Tourist

Re: Cop Stop in Sihanoukville, Cambodia:

Post by Feticheur »

Oh, come on. Let Sailor do his daily routine.
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Cop Stop in Sihanoukville, Cambodia:

Post by taabarang »

That should be the new slogan adopted by the Ministry of Tourism, ' Welcome to Cambodia, now empty your pockets.' It's got Kingdom of Wonder beat all to hell,
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic