I am back!!!

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

I am back!!!

Post by hanno »

Well, almost. After a few years in Vietnam, I will start a new job in Phnom Penh next week.

I haven't been to PP for years and need some help from the esteemed CEO community: good places to eat (no Vietnamese food please), good places to drink, entertainment options? I will work near the Royal Palace and do not want to travel too far at first.

Thank you and I'll be more than happy to shout a beer or two.

Hanno
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: I am back!!!

Post by armchairlawyer »

hanno wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 9:09 am Well, almost. After a few years in Vietnam, I will start a new job in Phnom Penh next week.

I haven't been to PP for years and need some help from the esteemed CEO community: good places to eat (no Vietnamese food please), good places to drink, entertainment options? I will work near the Royal Palace and do not want to travel too far at first.

Thank you and I'll be more than happy to shout a beer or two.

Hanno
Welcome Hanno.
ExPenhMan
Expatriate
Canada

Post by ExPenhMan »

If I may ask @hanno : Was moving back to Phnom Penh a matter of returning to the big city? A better job? Or were you tired of Sapa? Vietnam? The VN job?

Thanks.
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

@hanno You have some good options around your area.
Eating: Larry's (110), Metro (148), Hideout, Mexicana, Sombok (set lunch only unless you're feeling rich), new Indonesian place (all on riverside 148-154). Budget eating: Harry's (136-144), The Pub (174).
Drinking and entertainment depends on what style you like.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

ExPenhMan wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 10:17 am If I may ask @hanno : Was moving back to Phnom Penh a matter of returning to the big city? A better job? Or were you tired of Sapa? Vietnam? The VN job?

Thanks.
I am not really a city person but I do prefer Cambodia to Vietnam. I got very tired of Sa Pa. The place has been completely trashed, the weather is awful, you have all the disadvantages of a big city (traffic, noise, pollution) without the advantages. And, of course, my Princess daughter lives in Cambodia. So, a little bit of all of the above.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

armchairlawyer wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 10:28 am @hanno You have some good options around your area.
Eating: Larry's (110), Metro (148), Hideout, Mexicana, Sombok (set lunch only unless you're feeling rich), new Indonesian place (all on riverside 148-154). Budget eating: Harry's (136-144), The Pub (174).
Thank you, food wise that is a good start.

Not really into girly bars, but a nice place with good music to have a pint or two.
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

hanno wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 2:50 pm
armchairlawyer wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 10:28 am @hanno You have some good options around your area.

Not really into girly bars, but a nice place with good music to have a pint or two.
In that case Metro, Hideout, Larry's, Le Moon. Oskars on Riverside (110-118) but it's on the noisy side. Going down market a bit - Ostro, Harry's. There are a couple of new smart-looking bars on Riverside (110-148). Seem v.quiet.The young middle class Khmers like the Waterside building on Riverside (just south of 154). Note none of the bars on Riverside have hostesses, I think it's not permitted.
Not much live music in your area. Yang Pow, 110/Riverside - smart and v.Khmer clientelle and music. Oscar's on 104 - full on hostess bar and full on rock/R&B music.
Some might call Larry's a hostess bar but I can say I have drunk in there at least 500 times and I have yet to buy a lady drink there.
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

Just FYI, hostess bars in PP encompass a big range from rip-off joints with expolitative owners and voracious staff that pad bills etc. Usually identifiable by a large group of pretty young things outisde, and painfully loud aggressive music inside and many Asian customers, through much more professional places with trustworhy owners and staff, and finally very quiet (usually) small, often family places with very few customers where you can play your own music on their PC all night long at whatever volume you prefer.
cabron
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by cabron »

armchairlawyer wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 3:24 pm
hanno wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 2:50 pm

In that case Metro, Hideout, Larry's, Le Moon. Oskars on Riverside (110-118) but it's on the noisy side. Going down market a bit - Ostro, Harry's. There are a couple of new smart-looking bars on Riverside (110-148). Seem v.quiet.The young middle class Khmers like the Waterside building on Riverside (just south of 154). Note none of the bars on Riverside have hostesses, I think it's not permitted.
Not much live music in your area. Yang Pow, 110/Riverside - smart and v.Khmer clientelle and music. Oscar's on 104 - full on hostess bar and full on rock/R&B music.
Some might call Larry's a hostess bar but I can say I have drunk in there at least 500 times and I have yet to buy a lady drink there.
I am glad that you mentioned Yang Pow on St 110 corner/ Riverside, I like that place a lot, not many barags there and no ears blasting music.
Boredom is like a shroud
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

cabron wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 5:26 pm
I am glad that you mentioned Yang Pow on St 110 corner/ Riverside, I like that place a lot, not many barags there and no ears blasting music.
[/quote]

I haven't been in yet. I'm a bit intimidated tbh.
Often looked through the window and have yet to see one barang.
Sounds like you felt relaxed there. Are you expected to eat? Is it expensive?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic