On FOOTWEAR where do you stand?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
David Gordon
Expatriate
Cambodia

On FOOTWEAR where do you stand?

Post by David Gordon »

Do shoes still make the man? Are you selecting yours for comfort or for style or have you found a shoe that gives you both. Have you chucked your shoes for sandals or flip flops years ago or are you now a crocks kind of guy? Has your footwear evolved through various continents and climates and how? And on socks - is that an entirely separate topic or can that also be covered here.
Stay classy na
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Re: On FOOTWEAR where do you stand?

Post by rozzieoz »

I'm not a man, but I hope I am still allowed to comment.

I get my shoes (boots and sandals) made at Beautiful Shoes in Toul Sleng.
$25 for a pair of sandals, $50 for my ankle boots.
You can use one of their designs or design your own, they have incredible swatches to choose from and a lot of accessories such as buckles and bling.
I'll never buy my shoes off the rack again. :)
Once you've read the dictionary, every other book is just a remix.
Cowshed Cowboy
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by Cowshed Cowboy »

Where I stand is hoping Asians experience a foot growth spurt so it will be worth sports shops here stocking size 13 Adidas Gazelles. That's all I wear now for comfort and casual style with shorts in this climate, I stick to the same model as I experienced a serious bout of Plantar Fasciatis a few years ago which I put down to chopping and changing different types of trainers/shoes. When I need shoes for UK trips I have 1 pair of Timberlands, again perfect comfortable stylish casual fit for my size.
Yes sir, I can boogie, I can boogie, boogie, boogie all night long.
Tootsfriend
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Tootsfriend »

rozzieoz wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 9:39 am I'm not a man, but I hope I am still allowed to comment.

I get my shoes (boots and sandals) made at Beautiful Shoes in Toul Sleng.
$25 for a pair of sandals, $50 for my ankle boots.
You can use one of their designs or design your own, they have incredible swatches to choose from and a lot of accessories such as buckles and bling.
I'll never buy my shoes off the rack again. :)

I will have to remember that place. A few years ago a girl asked me if I would buy her a pair of shoes for her to wear at a wedding. Here was I thinking , no problem , plenty of shoes to chose from and only about $10 +. It was only when she started trying on shoes that I realised her feet were like ducks feet and most shoes made in Cambodia are for Western / European feet . Never found anything that were wide enough to fit her so I gave her $20 so she could look for herself.

Now these days I am having the same problem with the 13 yo girl in my family that needs size 41 or 42 shoes. She's got the height to go with the foot size, standing at near 1.7 m tall
Chad Sexington
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Chad Sexington »

Wellington boots when I’m using the weed whacker, Crocs for everything else.
Tommie
Expatriate
Norway

Post by Tommie »

Army boots for work and hiking, Crocs for everything else.
NotYourUncle
Expatriate
Christmas Island

Post by NotYourUncle »

sakura or toto 2nd hand japanese shops...

good quality, real brands and around the same price as the clogs they sell in the markets
pronouns- it/that
as quite obviously, I identify as a f***ing watermelon
truffledog
Expatriate
Italy

Post by truffledog »

I made very good experience with Kito slippers. A good Goretex Hiking boot (Salomon or Timberland) for truffle time in the forest. Todd's for the elegant events.
work is for people who cant find truffles
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Jandals bro for everyday wear, trainers for exercising. Very rarely do I wear shoes in Cambodia, only when the situation/dress code dictates that shoes are appropriate.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

NotYourUncle wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 12:00 pm sakura or toto 2nd hand japanese shops...

good quality, real brands and around the same price as the clogs they sell in the markets
That works if one has small feet

I don't have particularly large feet but finding shoes and boots to fit is a real problem - so I order online or wait until I'm in another country to buy

I like boots and good branded sneakers/trainers

Don't wear sandals or flipflops - they are horrendous and afford no protection to a foot - prefer to be barefoot than wear that trash
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic