Save Cambodia's Mangroves - World Wetlands Day, 2 Feb, 2021

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Save Cambodia's Mangroves - World Wetlands Day, 2 Feb, 2021

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

សូមចូលរួមការពារព្រៃកោងកាង កុំឱ្យហួសពេល។
ទិវាដីសើមពិភពលោក (ថ្ងៃទី២ ខែកម្ភៈ ឆ្នាំ២០២១)
_____
Let us protect our mangroves before it is too late.
#WorldWetlandsDay2021 (2 February 2021)
#mangrove #wetlands

តើមានព្រៃកោងកាងនៅកម្ពុជាឬទេ?
In Cambodia, the Peam Krasop Wildlife Sanctuary and Koh Kapik Ramsar are known to be the last remaining pristine mangrove ecosystem in Southeast Asia.
It is home to threatened species like the Irrawady dolphins, fishing cat and seahorses.

#WorldWetlandsDay2021 (2 February 2021)
Video/Photo by Andy Ball / VNV Advisory; Music by Ashutosh-Music & Irobinson_sds from Pixabay

https://www.facebook.com/FaunaFloraCambodia

Previous CEO discussions and news items concerning Cambodia's coastal mangroves:
newsworthy/fishermens-alarm-grows-over- ... 29717.html
post463068.html#p463068
post221718.html?hilit=mangroves#p221718
newsworthy/vital-koh-kong-mangroves-get ... 14835.html
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
emm
Expatriate
Austria

Re: Save Cambodia's Mangroves - World Wetlands Day, 2 Feb, 2021

Post by emm »

@CEO : Whom do you mean by US ? Let us protect our mangroves before it is too late.

As far as i can see it is certainly not Barang's that destroy the Cambodian Mangroves but greedy investors, local and foreign. The way things develop here in Cambodia and all over SEA for that matter i don't see any place that would put the breaks on destroying the enviroment on the altar of PROGRESS !
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

emm wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 12:42 pm @CEO : Whom do you mean by US ? Let us protect our mangroves before it is too late.

As far as i can see it is certainly not Barang's that destroy the Cambodian Mangroves but greedy investors, local and foreign. The way things develop here in Cambodia and all over SEA for that matter i don't see any place that would put the breaks on destroying the enviroment on the altar of PROGRESS !
On behalf of CEONews, 'US' is everyone. You, me and everyone else.
That statement that you bolded above is part of the news release from https://www.facebook.com/FaunaFloraCambodia

It's not just greedy investors that destroy the mangroves. Twenty years ago, the mangroves were being destroyed by the Khmer, but not for the sake of destroying something, nor for the desire to reclaim land for development.
You may have noticed that Khmers have a love affair with cooking with charcoal. It just so happens that mangrove wood makes very, very good charcoal because it will burn for a long time. The Khmers were destroying their mangrove forests for their basic needs. But not only their needs but some of that mangrove charcoal was exported as it was in demand.
emm
Expatriate
Austria

Post by emm »

@ Username Taken wrote Sat Jan 23,2021 12:59 pm
quote:
You may have noticed that Khmers have a love affair with cooking with charcoal. It just so happens that mangrove wood makes very, very good charcoal because it will burn for a long time. The Khmers were destroying their mangrove forests for their basic needs. But not only their needs but some of that mangrove charcoal was exported as it was in demand.

unquote

No offence but i doubt that whatever Mangrove was cut for firewood was significant. I've been here long enough to witness many mangrove areas even at the Border to Thailand in Koh Kong. The Mangroves were cut back, Cement Plot Markers were planted etc. and that was going on all along the coast and still is. I dont question that whatever mangrove wood was extracted from these plots was used for firewood but to get it completely dried and transported (this stuff has roots that branch out a lot and therefore is cumbersom in transporting). The charcoal vendors i witness certainly carry mostly ordinary wood (pretty straight anyway).

End of rant
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

^^^ You know nothing.
emm
Expatriate
Austria

Post by emm »

The Facts speak for themself !
ImageImage

Re:those Mangrove Root Exports
They went mostly to Aquarium Shops around the Globe, I THINK, but what do I know ?
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

emm wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 10:56 am The Facts speak for themself !
Facts? Firewood is not charcoal. Your firewood is not mangrove wood.

emm wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 10:56 am I THINK, but what do I know ?
Pretty sure I already answered that in a previous post.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

emm wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 10:56 am
They went mostly to Aquarium Shops around the Globe, I THINK, but what do I know ?
Huh?? scratch head emoji
On this one Emm, you know nothing and you think totally wrong.

As someone who has spent more days and nights inside the Koh Kong mangroves than you have had banana pancakes for breakfast i can authoritatively assure you that Ute is 100% correct and you are being a pork chop.
Koh Kong mangrove charcoal is the most highly prized in the kingdom - and that fact is a long term ongoing threat.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Cambodia Has about 50,000 Hectares of Mangroves
AKP Phnom Penh, January 29, 2021 --

Protecting mangrove will be a main agenda of the World Wetlands Day to be held on Feb. 2, 2021, according to a press release from the Fauna&Flora International (FFI)-Cambodia programme and other partners.

Cambodia has about 50,000 hectares of mangrove in four coastal provinces: Kampot, Kèp, Preah Sihanouk, and Koh Kong.

Mangrove plants are halophytes. They have the ability to survive in seawater by filtering out 90 percent of the salt. Its aerial roots broaden the base of the tree to stabilise itself in soft and loose soil. It also plays an important role in providing oxygen for respiration.

Like desert plants, its stores fresh water in thick and succulent leaves, which are covered in waxy coating to minimise evaporation.

The other reasons to preserve the mangrove is it can protect coats from strong waves, prevents coastal erosion, filtrates water, stores carbon, which helps mitigate climate change, protect biodiversity, and marine species, and so on.
- AKP
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

In the honour of World Wetlands Day - today, 2 February - I've hunted through my files for some mangrove photos. These are from Kampot and were taken with a little snappy camera from a moving boat, so the photos are not fantastic quality, but it's meant as a shout-out for Cambodia's disappearing mangroves.
Hopefully other posters here might have some photos of mangroves in Cambodia that they could share for Wetlands Day ? :thumb:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic