Teachers & schools: A modular grading and attendance system

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Teachers & schools: A modular grading and attendance system

Post by IraHayes »

I have been developing a modular grading and attendance system, on G.Sheets, for my current school. It started as just a way for me to save time come the end of month exams and preparing the Monthly report Cards. These were all done in MS Word. So I wrote a Spreadsheet in Excel that created the end of Month Report Cards based on the grades and scores the student racked up in that month.
Anyway, what started as just a way to save myself time grew into a fully functioning modular score/grade data entry system linked to Attendance.
The whole thing runs in G.Sheets and is centered around a Teachers Dashboard that can be adapted and configured to an individuals or schools based on their needs.

The one for my school has an Office side, that comprises a student & Teacher database and what teachers are teaching what subjects and at what grade and if the teacher is a homeroom teacher. This is all info that set by the School admin.

The teachers side has 3 levels of data entry.

1: Daily - basically this is attendance. Present, late, absent with or without permission. The one for my school is set to record attendance per lesson (5 x 40 min Zooms a day) but I have another ready to swap in that records attendance once per day which will be used when we return to the classroom.

2: Weekly - such things as Homework, weekly tests, etc. Ours currently is configured to record weekly homework in each subject and "class activity/participation" but it can be adapted to whatever the school needs tbh.

3: Exams - Ours are Mid Term every 6 weeks and an end of Term every 12 weeks. (4 terms per academic year) The exam sheets allow for data entry in not just actual exam scores but also teacher comments that will go into the report card.

The Report Cards are done per grade/class and no user input is required and they can be printed in 1 job lot per class/grade.
I wrote a search and print dashboard that could pull a single students report from any month based on the name and month.. but we couldn't really see a need for it so i never bothered including it in my current system.
But the core structure of the sheet works and i could configure it to work on my current system if the need arises.

With the teachers data entry my aim was to de-skill the whole process and make it as simple and easy as possible. The sheets presented to each teacher at any given stage are straightforward enough to be self explanatory to even the most technically naïve out there. Basically, from the Teachers dashboard, you need to enter this bit of info for this class at this point in their course.... go to this sheet and enter just that info. Clean and simple.

Tailoring an actual report card to a school or tweaking the data entry sheets based on individual specifications... what do you want it to record and how frequently... would be easy as due to it being modular once 1 is done the whole thing is just copy, paste into a new folder... rename to new class/grade and Bob's ya Uncle and fanny's ya aunt. Done.

So

A: "using already and why did you even have to write one for your school?"

B: "sounds better than the system we use"

C: "we are given one massive Excel file with 50 tabs and we have to enter everything on that"

D: "OMG we're still using paper and calculators to note the students scores/grades"

E: "Whats a spreadsheet? we send all our info to school by carrier pigeon"
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Teachers & schools: A modular grading and attendance system

Post by AndyKK »

F: Well done acctuly, it's good to know someone cares for his work, and that of his colleges and that of the school and students overall.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic