Buying rapid antigen tests

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
jah steu
Expatriate
Australia

Buying rapid antigen tests

Post by jah steu »

These are available at many pharmacies for around $4-$8 but just a reminder that the main Post Office near Wat Phnom also sells boxes of them, with two types available.
Chinese ones at $40 for a box of 20 tests, and Korean ones for $72.50 for a box of 25 tests.
Just go in the main door and turn right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sent from embedded sub-cutaneous iPhone 9 using Tapatalk.
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Buying rapid antigen tests

Post by timmydownawell »

Kind of related, but I've long suspected I'd probably had Covid at some stage, leading to "long Covid" symptoms like cardiac arrhythmia at night and all over aches and weariness. I've been careful, always worn a mask outside since the start of this year. Temperature checks always fine except for two (separate) days, one of which I put down to stomach flu due to other symptoms.

Today I bought a rapid antibody test today, and sure enough I tested positive for the antibodies, so yes it turns out I have had it at some point along the way. The antibody test is a blood test not a nasal swab which cost me $4.50. Pity the antibodies from previous strains won't protect from Omicron though.

So if anyone's developed heart palpitations/arrhythmia, body aches etc for no apparent reason in the past 18 months, you may have had Covid without realising. Doesn't really help me to have taken this test but at least it confirmed my suspicions.
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
yongchi
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by yongchi »

@timmydownawell. Thank you very much for sharing.
Very helpful!

In South Africa, vaccination rates are low:

But it appears many people have had Covid.
"As many as four out of five South Africans may have contracted the coronavirus, indicating that the country may be one of the world’s hardest-hit nations by the disease, the chief actuary at Africa’s biggest health insurer said. "
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... -had-covid

While Omicron is infecting them again, so far symptoms in that cohort are a lot milder. (Hope it stays that way.) Perhaps previous infections are going to be helpful.

On a different note, I have seen an antibody test also being offered in the pharmacies. Is that the blood test you are referring to?
Can this test distinguish between vaccine and infection induced antibodies?
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

yongchi wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 7:35 pm @timmydownawell. Thank you very much for sharing.
Very helpful!

"As many as four out of five South Africans may have contracted the coronavirus, indicating that the country may be one of the world’s hardest-hit nations by the disease, the chief actuary at Africa’s biggest health insurer said. "

While Omicron is infecting them again, so far symptoms in that cohort are a lot milder. (Hope it stays that way.) Perhaps previous infections are going to be helpful.

On a different note, I have seen an antibody test also being offered in the pharmacies. Is that the blood test you are referring to?
Probably. I bought mine locally in PP at one of the many pharmacies on the corner of Streets 51/136.

I think it's fair to assume that the number of actual cases probably far exceeds the number of reported/known cases. And despite the symptoms being mild or asymptomatic the ongoing potential for heart and lung damage could affect a big proportion of the population for many years to come. I spent two nights in Calmette last year wondering if I was having a heart attack, but now I think it may have been post Covid symptoms. That $1000 angiogram was cool though.
yongchi
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by yongchi »

timmydownawell wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 7:46 pm
yongchi wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 7:35 pm @timmydownawell. Thank you very much for sharing.
Very helpful!

Probably. I bought mine locally in PP at one of the many pharmacies on the corner of Streets 51/136.

I think it's fair to assume that the number of actual cases probably far exceeds the number of reported/known cases. And despite the symptoms being mild or asymptomatic the ongoing potential for heart and lung damage could affect a big proportion of the population for many years to come. I spent two nights in Calmette last year wondering if I was having a heart attack, but now I think it may have been post Covid symptoms. That $1000 angiogram was cool though.
I second this. Focusing on dead and recovered people yields a very incomplete picture. I don't dare guesstimating the health impact this is going to have on society.
Maybe I should get this test too. I have had too many strange symptoms.
Thanks again.
I hope you get completely back to normal soon.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

....On a different note, I have seen an antibody test also being offered in the pharmacies. Is that the blood test you are referring to?
So you all are buying ur own antibody tests, drawing ur own blood and testing it? wow
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
jah steu
Expatriate
Australia

Post by jah steu »

phuketrichard wrote:
So you all are buying ur own antibody tests, drawing ur own blood and testing it? wow
I think it’s a pinprick test, mix a drop of blood with some serum and put a few drops on a test strip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sent from embedded sub-cutaneous iPhone 9 using Tapatalk.
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

Anyway of course it's (belatedly) occurred to me that my positive IgG test may just mean my vaccinations worked. I wish I knew for sure whether I'd had Covid, I've felt so generally crappy for months. If it just means my 2 x Sinovac and 1 x AZ were effective I guess that's good news at least.

Carry on.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

timmydownawell wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 7:12 am Anyway of course it's (belatedly) occurred to me that my positive IgG test may just mean my vaccinations worked. I wish I knew for sure whether I'd had Covid, I've felt so generally crappy for months. If it just means my 2 x Sinovac and 1 x AZ were effective I guess that's good news at least.

Carry on.
I know he's not you're favourite person, but Dr Campbell mentions the three types of Immunoglobulins in the video below at 5:05 to 6:30

In a nutshell, vaccines only produce IgM and then IgG. Only natural infections produce IgA. Unless your antibody tests can distinguish between the three, then you're not going to find out using them.

I think you can get an antibody test at Pasteur or maybe NIPH? @Jamie_Lambo wrote something on here when he was getting his tests earlier in the year and set out the prices of the PCR, the Certificate and also an optional antibody test.

Hope this helps.

Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Here's the post

post483549.html#p483549

It's the NIPH who do an antibody test for an extra $20. Maybe they can give you a definitive test.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic