Covid in Cambodia, what do you think the temparature of the water is?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Covid in Cambodia, what do you think the temparature of the water is?

Post by Kammekor »

Now that even the reassuring news from the government of the KoW has stopped (mentioning just a few cases a day and an occasional death (unvaccinated, of course)), it seems hard to grasp what's going on.

On social media there's quite a lot of gossip going on, about new measures to be taken because of a new spike. I've personally experienced two covid deaths (within minutes) being taken for a cremation when I came to Phnom Penh last week and @Retired Sailor reported multiple deaths on one day in Calmette hospital. That post doesn't seem the most reliable post at first sight, but still.
Last night I had a beer and one girl told me National Road 5 and 6 (both going North, West and East of the Tonle Sap lake) are both closed closed. I can debunk at least one of those from personal experience, but gossip is being taken for news and news is not being reported.
I notice way less ambulances in the streets than before, I find that reassuring, for the rest I've got no clue what's going on.

Wondering what your perception of the current situation is.
Darkcel
Expatriate
Angola

Re: Covid in Cambodia, what do you think the temparature of the water is?

Post by Darkcel »

Double the amount of ambulances in chom chao, full on covid bulances'
TWY
Expatriate
Macedonia

Post by TWY »

I think things are pretty good.

The police made the rounds here three days ago telling folks to get their third shot. Whether that is due to an uptick or surge in cases or simply due to our region getting additional vaccine doses I don't know.

High percentage of folks are vaccinated - either though I doubt the chinese vaccines due much more than stop death from Omnicron that is still better than nothing. And similar to the initial virus, the simple facts of youth and outdoor living will both mitigate the severity of this wave.

So overall I'm feeling like this too shall pass.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

High percentage of folks are vaccinated - either though I doubt the chinese vaccines due much more than stop death from Omnicron that is still better than nothing. And similar to the initial virus, the simple facts of youth and outdoor living will both mitigate the severity of this wave.
Chinese vacs..
...Countries relying on one of China's Covid vaccines should get booster jabs because it only cuts the risk of infection by 50%, study claims
A study in Peru found Sinopharm to be 50.4% effective against Covid infections
Earlier estimates had put the efficacy level as high as 78.1%
In the past week i have known 4 people that have come down with coivd ( not in Cambodia)
and as reporter's and press is saying 50% or more of people in Europe will have had coivd in the next 2 months, record cases in the states, ( where people do get tested on their own) and thailand seeing 8,000+ cases /day, its really hard to imagine that the government here is telling the truth or even cares.
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Kammekor wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 10:20 am
Last night I had a beer and one girl told me National Road 5 and 6 (both going North, West and East of the Tonle Sap lake) are both closed closed. I can debunk at least one of those from personal experience, but gossip is being taken for news and news is not being reported.

Those road closure rumors are weeks old and flying around the country & total BS also
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Omicron is in town and doing the rounds. Many won't even know they have/had it. Many will pass it off as a cold or a bad hangover that wont go away. Everyone is going to make it's acquaintance and the sooner the better.

We saw in South Africa, and now the UK, cases peak very quickly and then come down just as quick. The official figures are but a fraction of the reality, the true figures are way higher. Very few go to hospital and even fewer end up in ICU. UK ICU bed occupancy have been going down throughout. In a month they might be nearly empty of Covid patients.

I just hope HE holds his nerve and in 2 months we'll be Delta free (like South Africa, the UK and much of the US), Omicron will have done it's job and we might be out of this nightmare.

Nov 1 to Jan 11

Total cases

ICU Covid Bed Occupancy

Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

With Omicron and with the demographics of Cambodia, it's best to just let it run its course. It will be over in no time, and the population will be left with broadened immunity.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Doc67 wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 1:47 pm Omicron is in town and doing the rounds. Many won't even know they have/had it. Many will pass it off as a cold or a bad hangover that wont go away. Everyone is going to make it's acquaintance and the sooner the better.
I got pretty ill last Monday around 8PM, even considered a cooling patch on the forehead @Doc67. I put it down to not eating enough, then to eating bad food, but after giving it second thoughts it didn't add up. I only had had decent bottled water, half a bottle of beer and fresh well done food.

So hoping for the Omicron hammer I self tested myself twice, once on Tuesday morning, again on Wednesday. No luck.... Single line two times.....

Talked to quite a few people over the last two days complaining about 'low energy', stomach problems, feverish, etc etc, both here and in the province where I live but my two negative self tests kind of took away my hope Omicron is going wild without too much consequences as we speak.
ExPenhMan
Expatriate
Canada

Post by ExPenhMan »

Doc67 wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 1:47 pm Omicron is in town and doing the rounds. Many won't even know they have/had it. Many will pass it off as a cold or a bad hangover that wont go away. Everyone is going to make it's acquaintance and the sooner the better.

We saw in South Africa, and now the UK, cases peak very quickly and then come down just as quick. The official figures are but a fraction of the reality, the true figures are way higher. Very few go to hospital and even fewer end up in ICU. UK ICU bed occupancy have been going down throughout. In a month they might be nearly empty of Covid patients.

I just hope HE holds his nerve and in 2 months we'll be Delta free (like South Africa, the UK and much of the US), Omicron will have done it's job and we might be out of this nightmare.
Yup. A small, recent South Africa study shows that folks with Omicron infections, after 14 days of symptoms onset, recorded a 14-fold increase in neutralizing antibodies against Omicron. And a bonus 4.5 fold increase in antibodies against Delta. The study participants had various vaccinations and combos -- Pfizer, J&J.

I think one of the issues, maybe the key one, is that many health workers are getting hit and knocked off the job, which is causing politicians and health authorities to ring the alarms and ratchet up a sense of doom -- sadly. Plus many supply chain workers are quarantined at home, leaving big gaps.

Two friends now have Omicron here in Bangkok, though not confirmed by a PCR test but the Thai government is discouraging hospital visits if your symptoms are mild. A bit down, like a common cold, for 3-5 days but they are almost back to normal now -- back on the beer and whiskey -- since onset late last week.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Kammekor wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 2:30 pm

Talked to quite a few people over the last two days complaining about 'low energy', stomach problems, feverish, etc etc, both here and in the province where I live but my two negative self tests kind of took away my hope Omicron is going wild without too much consequences as we speak.
1: people get chills at this time of the year because hot days, humid evenings and chilly nights, I'd say that it's prime "Ot gomlang" season

2: you saw two coffins in a city of 4m people and postulated that there may be a severe covid outbreak, yet, two negative self tests (both on yourself) make you feel like omicron is not going wild here

I feel maybe you are over thinking. They confirmed community omicron already in Cambodia, the endmenic stage is almost here, bye bye pandemic
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic