Job Needed

This is our job board for expats. Until ZipRecruiter and Indeed make their way to the Kingdom of Wonder, this is the best place to look for employment in Cambodia, whether you're looking to teach English, manage a 5-star hotel, volunteer, or even work for some of the big NGOs. Even digital nomads who move to Cambodia sometimes need a side gig as a TEFL instructor from time to time. Most professional expatriate jobs are in Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap and Kampot are emerging as attractive alternatives. If you're an employer or hiring manager, you're also welcome to post your job listing here for free.
Samouth
Expatriate
Burundi

Job Needed

Post by Samouth »

i am currently working with an International Organization called Fh Cambodia (Food for the Hungry/ Cambodia) as a Senior Translator and Special Project Assistant. However, i am thinking to leave it as soon as possible, literally means i will leave it whenever i get a new job.
Fh Cambodia is a Christian Organisation, so every morning from Monday to Friday i have to get up so early and i need to be at my office by 7:30 am in order to join the devotion. I honestly feel so annoying to get up so early and do this stuff. i have been working with Fh Cambodia for 2 years and 3 months so far, and i recently find that i couldn't put up with this kidda situation and environment anymore.

My info:

i am a BA holder in TEFL. Note: i have never been working as a Teacher of English. :) However, i think i can teach. So i would love to do the teaching job too.

My recent main duties as a Senior Translator and Special Project Assistant

• Translating the Books and lessons that will be used by Community Facilitators at the project areas.
• Assisting in hiring both freelance translator and interpreter
• Checking and Editing the books and lessons which are translated by the translation companies
• Facilitating in the training (Mostly performing interpretation tasks)
• Facilitating in guests and donors-visit (Mostly performing interpretation tasks)
• Helping guests and donors in giving gifts to the children
• Helping the sponsorship teams to translate the children letters when the letters are overloaded as required by Country directors
• Translating and compiling reports

Therefore, please help share with me if you know any Organisations or Schools that are currently recruiting new staff. Thanks!
បើសិនធ្វើចេះ ចេះឲ្យគេកោត បើសិនធ្វើឆោត ឆោតឲ្យគេអាណិត។

If you know a lot, know enough to make them respect you, if you are stupid, be stupid enough so they can pity you.
prahkeitouj
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Job Needed

Post by prahkeitouj »

Do you know what kind of job you really love?
កុំស្លាប់ដូចពស់ កុំរស់ដូចកង្កែប
Soi Dog
Expatriate

Post by Soi Dog »

Giving people jobs, financial aid, food, education, etc. with the stipulation that the recipients convert to the group's religion, and insist all recipients mimic that religion's rituals (if they would rather not) doesn't seem to be a successful way to effect positive change, IMO. It's been tried for ages, but your feelings about your experiences in that type of environment seem similar from the Protestants' actions during the Great Irish Famine and to Mother Theresa in India to African and New World missionaries. You win people over by providing a better example of how to treat others and the example of how you live your life, not by forcing ritualized religious ceremony participation.

Sorry to derail your job seeking post. :oops: You seem like a clever, polite lad and I'm sure you will find a good job you actually like. :thumb:
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Samouth wrote:Fh Cambodia is a Christian Organisation, so every morning from Monday to Friday i have to get up so early and i need to be at my office by 7:30 am in order to join the devotion. I honestly feel so annoying to get up so early and do this stuff.
Just out of interest - and yes, I'm a Christian missionary - did you know this was a Christian organisation when you took the job, were you aware they have a devotional each morning, and would you be less annoyed if you were doing some other work at 7.30am? Seems to me you lasted there a good long time before this annoyed you enough to want to leave, and therefore I have to wonder if there's another reason and Christian bashing is just an easy convenience.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Rama
Expatriate

Post by Rama »

One cannot expect positive results from an educational or political action program which fails to respect the particular view of the world held by the people. Such a program constitutes cultural invasion, good intentions notwithstanding.

- spoken by a true Christian.
Soi Dog
Expatriate

Post by Soi Dog »

Haven't we all had jobs very early in our careers that we didn't particularly like, and performed job tasks we really felt were demeaning, boring and futile just because we needed the paycheck (tasks we would not perform now for any reason or for any amount of money)? I know I have. For my first job I would have gone to pray at a mosque or church or synagogue every day if that is what was required. But young Samouth here is now at the stage where his confidence is increased, his job skills are more marketable due to his work experience and he is looking to move on to bigger and better things in his career trajectory. That is how it's supposed to work. Well done, Samouth. Never stop trying to better yourself and your situation. We all have to "pay our dues" when we are just starting out in the workplace (although the forced religious ritual twist is somewhat unique). :thumb:
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Samouth,,, You say you start work at 7.30, but don't say what time you finish. You also say that you work from Monday to Friday. Hey, that is not work, that is one big long holiday. If you want to get anywhere in life you are going to have to put in a lot more hours into work than what you are doing now.
Consider this,, there are 24 hours to a day. 8 hours for you to sleep, 8 hours for you to work and 8 hours for play and recreation. This how a MR Average lives his life. If you want to become better than all the MR Averages in the world, you are going to have to use some of those sleep hours or play/recreation hours and replace them with work hours or education hours.
Most of my life I worked 7 days a week , sometimes 12 to 15 hours a day. This enabled me to save money, invest and was able to retire at 55 years old.
You are not going to get anywhere in life if you work for someone else in this world.
Now, get motivated, get your ass into gear and set up a plan for what you really want in life. Tomorrow is even too late . You will find that if everyone sees that you are putting 110 % effort into your work and life, people will support you . Not that you will need it though. As an example, look at the offers given to fc.

Get Motivated Now .
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Samouth
Expatriate
Burundi

Post by Samouth »

prahkeitouj wrote:Do you know what kind of job you really love?
I want to work as communication officer or coordinator. i want to meet new people as much as i can. So my current job will not give me the opportunity to do so. That's way i am seeking a new one. Actually, i also have another degree (Civil Engineering), however i really hate it and i have never wanted to be a Civil Engineer. You might wonder if i don't like Civil Engeering why did i take that course. It was not my decision to study Civil Engineering. My uncle wanted me to study it.

If you know a lot, know enough to make them respect you, if you are stupid, be stupid enough so they can pity you.
Samouth
Expatriate
Burundi

Post by Samouth »

Soi Dog wrote:Giving people jobs, financial aid, food, education, etc. with the stipulation that the recipients convert to the group's religion, and insist all recipients mimic that religion's rituals (if they would rather not) doesn't seem to be a successful way to effect positive change, IMO. It's been tried for ages, but your feelings about your experiences in that type of environment seem similar from the Protestants' actions during the Great Irish Famine and to Mother Theresa in India to African and New World missionaries. You win people over by providing a better example of how to treat others and the example of how you live your life, not by forcing ritualized religious ceremony participation.

Sorry to derail your job seeking post. :oops: You seem like a clever, polite lad and I'm sure you will find a good job you actually like. :thumb:
Never mind. It is really okay to share your thoughts and opinions with me. All your contributions are highly appreciated. Honestly i have learnt a lot of things from you guys. Again, you are not derailing my job seeking post. :) i am not clever compare to other Cambodians, they are much better than me. However, i hope that i will get a new job very soon.

Soi Dog
Expatriate

Post by Soi Dog »

Samouth wrote:
prahkeitouj wrote:Do you know what kind of job you really love?
I want to work as communication officer or coordinator. i want to meet new people as much as i can. So my current job will not give me the opportunity to do so. That's way i am seeking a new one. Actually, i also have another degree (Civil Engineering), however i really hate it and i have never wanted to be a Civil Engineer. You might wonder if i don't like Civil Engeering why did i take that course. It was not my decision to study Civil Engineering. My uncle wanted me to study it.
Your degree in Civil Engineering and your nationality make you a solid candidate for a job with the United Nations or other such international aid/infrastructure development organizations. They are always trying to increase diversity and I'm guessing they don't currently have many Cambodians in their employ. That C.E. degree could help you see the world and have others pay for it. It did for me. Remember, one opportunity can easily lead to others, even if it's not 100% what you would rather be doing now. Widen your outlook. Get some more work experiences on your CV and network and your dream job could be within reach. But it takes time and effort and persistence.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic