Odd but seems to be a lot of Chinese tourist

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Odd but seems to be a lot of Chinese tourist

Post by atst »

I've noticed that there are alot of Chinese wondering around Phnom Penh young people, many couples they seem to be tourist in my limited option
Since no Visa's I'm puzzled as to how they managed to be here.
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Odd but seems to be a lot of Chinese tourist

Post by John Bingham »

I can't say I've noticed that recently, They could just be company workers. Chinese often stand out because they tend to walk around in groups and dress very similarly, you don't really see locals doing that much. At the start of this pandemic most seemed to disappear but I started noticing them again a couple of months back.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

Maybe all Chinese are honorary Khmer and don't need visas.
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

I don't mean this in any way racist whatsoever but after several years of being here, unless I was stood next to them in a supermarket queue, I'd still have trouble spotting a Chinese person from a Khmer.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

I recall there was talk of introducing a 3 year multiple entry visa for Chinese, Koreans and Japanese but with covid I dunno whether it's come into effect. Some scant references here:

http://m.en.freshnewsasia.com/index.php ... rists.html
https://news.cgtn.com/news/3d3d674d7841 ... index.html
siliconlife
Expatriate
Palau Island

Post by siliconlife »

Yeah I seen a lot of Chinese tourists on a trip to PP a couple of months ago. I was in BKK1. Very easy to spot, because they are in groups, they don't know their way around and they speak Mandarin audibly. Hard to believe they were workers, many seemed to be young adults dressed in holiday clothes, checking into hotels and clearly in a holiday mood.
Chad Sexington
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Chad Sexington »

xandreu wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:56 pm I don't mean this in any way racist whatsoever but after several years of being here, unless I was stood next to them in a supermarket queue, I'd still have trouble spotting a Chinese person from a Khmer.
Should have went to Specsavers.
The average Chinese here (in Sihanoukville) are a lot taller than the average Khmer.
I was shocked at how big a lot of the Chinese guys are, I imagined they would be similar in size to the usual Asian (Thai/Khmer) build, but there are plenty of heavy built 6 footers ( and taller)
Most Chinese are also a lot paler/lighter skinned than Khmers.
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

Nobody has mentioned their unique dress sense.
Clothes sellers in China took a leaf out of Henry Ford's book.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

clutchcargo wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:06 pm I recall there was talk of introducing a 3 year multiple entry visa for Chinese, Koreans and Japanese but with covid I dunno whether it's come into effect. Some scant references here:

http://m.en.freshnewsasia.com/index.php ... rists.html
https://news.cgtn.com/news/3d3d674d7841 ... index.html
Yes, those came into effect in 2018 for Chinese, South Korean and Japanese passport holders.

There are the T1, T2, T3 (Tourist Visas) and E1, E2, E3 (Ordinary) Visas. They are not actually valid for multi entry/exit until an EOS is applied for, and there are certain restrictions on permitted Stay period at any one time, not so straight forward.

With regards to the OP....Chinese have had no issues getting an E-type Visa from the Cambodian Embassy & Consulates in China, without supporting documentation, since the start of the travel restrictions. There are agencies in China which facilitate the applications, and the applicants obviously pay well above the official fee for the Visas.
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

Was waiting for your words of wisdom, thanks that's what I thought , happening in many countries special treatment for those with $$$
To answer another persons question, yes pretty easy to tell the difference, but not always, they are definitely fatter
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic