Famine Fear in Thailand

Thailand is Cambodia's neighbor to the West, and this forum is dedicated to Thai news, stories, reviews, blogs, videos, Thai people and anything else related to the country. A lot of expats have both lived and worked in Cambodia and Thailand, and this area is a place to discuss all aspects of life in Thailand and what's going on there. Most topics are about Bangkok and Pattaya because of their larger populations of expatriates and tourists in those cities, but this is for all things Thai.
yong
Expatriate
Thailand

Famine Fear in Thailand

Post by yong »

https://i0.wp.com/www.chiangraitimes.co ... =850&ssl=1

What’s More Deadly than the Covid-19 Coronavirus in Thailand?
Published 5 mins ago on May 14, 2020
By CTN News

The number of confirmed cases of Covid-19 Coronavirus in Thailand has stopped climbing and on Wednesday Thailand reported zero cases for the first time since March, 2020.

The Thai government’s rapid response to the covid-19 outbreak has been applauded by many in the international community including the World Health Organisation (WHO).

However, halting the rise in infections has come at a huge expense of ordinary Thais. Many Thai have sacrificed their livelihoods for Covid-19. Furthermore many have lost their jobs in complying with government policies to control the virus. Including the shutdown of businesses and the night-time curfew.

Now many have realized that a deadlier threat than Covid-19 has hit their doorsteps in Thailand. Its name is famine.
People committing suicide in Thailand due to covid-19 Coronavirus

Government aid measures, while barely adequate, are still not reaching many of the people. Especially the people who have been hardest hit by this crisis. In a sad irony, the website where people can register for aid is called “We do not leave anyone behind”.

The evidence is overwhelming: People desperate for the Bt5,000 monthly handout recently stormed the Finance Ministry. Long lines have formed outside gold shops as Thais sell what gold they have for cash to buy food. And worst of all, the number of suicides have also risen. Economic recession has sent people into a spiral of stress and despair.

Scholars warn that the number of people driven to suicide by economic hardship could exceed the number of COVID-19 deaths if the government doesn’t react. Thailand is well known for having one of the highest wealth inequalities in the world and also one of the highest suicide rates in Southeast Asia.

In fact, suicide ranks second among the non-natural causes of death in Thailand after traffic accidents.
Many Thai are facing starvation due to coronavirus in Thailand

Thailand’s Prime Minister General Prayut cannot just focus on the virus the Nation reports. He must also manage the lives of 67 million Thais, many of who face starvation. Especially if the current restrictions on daily continue much longer.

General Prayut must make sure that aid measures enable people to afford the basic necessities of life. And above all that the money first goes to the ones who need it most.

He also has to ignore opposition politicians who are criticizing the government’s measures with a hidden agenda. Now is not the time for political debate. Especially when people are facing the very real prospect of hunger and death.

Starving people will resort to drastic actions, including breaking laws and restrictions set by the government to control the outbreak. If Prayut ignores this fact, the repercussions that follow could radically change both the Covid-19 situation in Thailand and the status of his government.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Re: Famine Fear in Thailand

Post by Duncan »

I have been seeing this famine in Thailand coming for a long time. I just have to look at yongs posts and all the food he has been ordering.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Cowshed Cowboy
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by Cowshed Cowboy »

I dread to think what the situation would be like in Pattaya if it weren't for all the private groups organising free food handouts. I walked along Jomtien beach road the other day and the queue of people gathering must have been at least a kilometre long and getting longer, young and old lying flaked out in sidecars. It's a really desperate situation.

I see nothing being done by the official authorities and with Thailand's vast and generally inactive military resource this is a situation they should have been mobilised to organise basic handouts to the needy. Not a job for the private sector. National disgrace.
Yes sir, I can boogie, I can boogie, boogie, boogie all night long.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Thais are stressed. Mental stress and economic stress are contributing to the suicide rate.
thailand-news-and-discussion/thai-suici ... 38025.html
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

Using the word famine is way over the top. Economic hardship for many, sure. Some jobs will come back sooner than others.
glennb6
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by glennb6 »

stats are the 99.9% of Thais never got so much as the sniffles from the faux flu scam. I'm not sure Thai people comprehend that fact though. Their govt has destroyed or severely hurt the majority of the population in order to play along with a worldwide scam, and Thai people walk around in their masks trying to think never mind, never mind, never mind...

Objecting to the government? I don't see it anywhere in the news or in my little corner of Pattaya. I would think it perfectly normal and expect the thousands in the food lines, after getting fed, to grab their pitch forks and swords and march off to the government house. Sounds metaphorical but should be done literally.
hunter8
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by hunter8 »

Some people who can’t see past their noses still believe that lockdowns were justified. It won’t be long now before they see dire consequences as the recovery is going to take years. And that is an optimistic estimate.

When people have nothing to lose, they lose it.
Chuck Borris
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Chuck Borris »

Its already slowly started in May 2014.
Don"t Eat The Yellow Snow.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Cowshed Cowboy wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 11:20 am I dread to think what the situation would be like in Pattaya if it weren't for all the private groups organising free food handouts. I walked along Jomtien beach road the other day and the queue of people gathering must have been at least a kilometre long and getting longer, young and old lying flaked out in sidecars. It's a really desperate situation.

I see nothing being done by the official authorities and with Thailand's vast and generally inactive military resource this is a situation they should have been mobilised to organise basic handouts to the needy. Not a job for the private sector. National disgrace.
I just can't imagine Pattaya being closed up and quiet with people queueing up for food handouts.

Anyone got any pictures of the street scenes at the moment?
rexwell
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by rexwell »

Mai pen rai. There is plenty of money in Thailand in the hands of a few granted. But the Father of Thailand will save them right? The estimated wealth of the king is $30 billion. There are at least 20 other billionaires https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_c ... llionaires and at least 80000 millionaires https://www.statista.com/statistics/785 ... lionaires/ What happened to Thai love Thai?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic