Mood on the Streets of PP

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Mood on the Streets of PP

Post by Doc67 »

I have heard reports of a mood in PP, a tension that cannot be isolated and defined, but just a feeling that bad things are about to happen. A new sense of heightened danger, particularly after dark.

Any truth in that or are my sources worrying about it and it's become a self fulfilling prophesy?
frizzie77
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Mood on the Streets of PP

Post by frizzie77 »

Doc67 wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:45 pm I have heard reports of a mood in PP
There are too many "I have heard" posts around here, especially concerning the corona virus and its effects.
Please tell us first where you are. Obviously not in Phnom Penh, otherwise you could have verified yourself.
So: where are you and where and from whom "have you heard" something?

Thank you.
j57
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by j57 »

I believe that gentleman is in the UK after not being able to get back to Cambodia from Mexico.
I can only speak for Siem Reap from a first hand point of view...I find it to be quiet and peaceful...
I am trying to stay home. I was out on Saturday..
My wife went to a Khmer market around the corner today..
My wife's brother lives in PP and she has not mentioned any issues from him..
He cancelled the wedding of his daughter in May.
Maybe PP is different...I have never much cared for it.
There is a new street cleaner....
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

frizzie77 wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:58 pm
There are too many "I have heard" posts around here, especially concerning the corona virus and its effects.
Please tell us first where you are. Obviously not in Phnom Penh, otherwise you could have verified yourself.

Thank you.
fuck off
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

j57 wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:13 pm I believe that gentleman is in the UK after not being able to get back to Cambodia from Mexico.
I can only speak for Siem Reap from a first hand point of view...I find it to be quiet and peaceful...
I am trying to stay home. I was out on Saturday..
My wife went to a Khmer market around the corner today..
My wife's brother lives in PP and she has not mentioned any issues from him..
He cancelled the wedding of his daughter in May.
Maybe PP is different...I have never much cared for it.
There is a new street cleaner....
Thank you
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

Well no-shit-Sherlock.

Of course people are spooked. Crime is also going to be a rising factor if the country goes on lockdown. Hearsay and rumours are rife.... Facebook being the main culprit in disseminating said rumours!

Will fears turn in to realities? Not as long as the markets stay stocked and the death toll from the virus low.
frizzie77
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by frizzie77 »

Doc67 wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:17 pm
frizzie77 wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:58 pm

Thank you.
fuck off
I see.
Interesting reply from someone claiming to be interested in Phnom Penh's mood.
Maybe you should stick to your own and don't try to stir the pot in a place where you are not.
Thank you.
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

Certainly with less people on the street to steal from your risk of becoming a victim if you go out is higher. Those who have no moeny may be forced to do more burglary as well. I am stuck in UK as well for my sins and there is an air of tension where I am. idiots taking advantage of no police and low traffic to drivelike lunatics, drunks and beggars and homeless harrassing people queing to get in the store. Very mcuh an everyman for himself attitude, regarldess of the"communtiy spirit" hogwash the press are trying to portray
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Friz, the OP simply asked a question, and for some input from folk here.
Doc67 wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:45 pm I have heard reports of a mood in PP, a tension that cannot be isolated and defined, but just a feeling that bad things are about to happen. A new sense of heightened danger, particularly after dark.

Any truth in that or are my sources worrying about it and it's become a self fulfilling prophesy?
It may simply depend upon who you are talking to, and how well they can get their thoughts across.
The other half has just moved to our new apartment, (we had plans for a house warming party next weekend, along with the little fella’s 1st Birthday). and she has said what amounts to the ‘tone’ in the market being ‘different’ from how it was a few weeks ago. Between her broken English and my hopeless Khmer, she has mentioned a few things also. Lots of chatter about the ‘cough’. The older two are acting up a bit with the lack of school to focus their energy. SWMBOs niece stayed a few days with her enroute back to Pursat after the garment factory closed its doors.
It could easily be nothing, or something. Locals are anxious, and a great many don’t have the educational background to be able to come to more rational conclusions that we might have.

Try to take a moment to read the post more carefully, as you do have a tendency to jump down throats quite quickly. I’m a little reliant on CEO posts to help ground some of the things that SWMBO and our Khmer friends say. It’s going to be very difficult having to consider first whether our concerns are making certain members a little skittish or overly sensitive.
Maybe smoke a spliff or take a chill pill. There’s a good lad. :thumb:
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Spigzy »

I'm seeing no difference in the day time except a whole lot less traffic than usual, which is a good thing. I'm getting the usual smiles from other riders & very much seems business mostly as usual for those on the move. Obviously a lot of shops & restaurants closed, so that is fundamentally different - attitude I didn't see.

On a couple of later night food collections from Sher-e-Punjab on 130 I also didn't notice any animosity simply because there isn't anyone around. I've never been a nightclubbing moron, so can't comment on very late/early hours, but anyone out at those times is a plonker in my book - COVID or not. #OldGit

I do however expect the crime rate to go up given the number of folks out of work all of a sudden, and the banks/MFIs haven't got their shit together on how to give their customers a break; already hearing on Twitter examples from locals where loans are still being called in, and landlords are insisting on collecting rent from the poorest. It will get nastier for sure.
Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic