UNTAC Soldiers' Forgotten Children in Cambodia

Have questions or resources regarding Khmer Culture? This forum is all about the Kingdom of Cambodia's culture. Khmer language, Cambodian weddings, French influence, Cambodian architecture, Cambodian politics, Khmer customs, etc? This is the place. Living in Cambodia can cause you to experience a whole new level of culture shock, so feel free to talk about all things related to the Khmer people, and their traditions. And if you want something in Khmer script translated into English, you will probably find what you need.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

UNTAC Soldiers' Forgotten Children in Cambodia

Post by Anchor Moy »

Reading stuff online, I came across this article called Her Name Is Untac: UN Peacekeepers’ Forgotten Children in Cambodia
Thirty years ago, a peace treaty officially ended the war in Cambodia and brought thousands of United Nations peacekeepers to the country. The now adult children they fathered and abandoned still face poverty, discrimination and family strains.
26 October 2021
https://newnaratif.com/her-name-is-unta ... -cambodia/

This is not a particularly recent article, illegitimate children happen all the time, but the scale suggested here is enormous. True or not - thought it was worth discussing :
A 2001 paper published by the Norway-based War and Children Identity Project cites an Australian TV documentary that estimated that UN personnel fathered up to 25,000 children in Cambodia between 1992 and 1997.
David Gordon
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: UNTAC Soldiers' Forgotten Children in Cambodia

Post by David Gordon »

I know very little about this but from what I could glean there were a lot of people with huge incomes and a mandate to spread the wealth - what could possibly go wrong?
Stay classy na
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: UNTAC Soldiers' Forgotten Children in Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

David Gordon wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 2:11 am I know very little about this but from what I could glean there were a lot of people with huge incomes and a mandate to spread the wealth - what could possibly go wrong?
No, the mandate was to disarm the factions (which wasn't very successful) and organize elections. It had nothing to do with spreading wealth.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic