Sympathy for the...

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
kiwibodia299
Tourist
New Zealand

Sympathy for the...

Post by kiwibodia299 »

It's with a heavy heart and a touch of anger and sadness that I write here.
.Ahhh Cambodia. Phnom Penh was my home for 5 years. I left in September last year and returned to boring normalcy in New Zealand. I had to go, it was time but I didn't want to leave. Work was finished. When the Daily got shut down, the Post got taken over and RFA targeted....realistic media was finished. I stayed on...still. . living the dream. I had a two bedroom apartment on Norodom for $350 a month, a packet of cigarettes for 50 cents, 50 cent cans of beer and as you all know, really good food at the right places. I learnt to speak Khmer. Some Khmer's were amazed that I could. Some Khmer bar girls were pissed off that I could. A barang that can understand and speak the language....so much more cost effective. Without work I still wrote and read. All of it about Cambodia. Amazingly, some of the best stuff I read was from the Khmer Times. The BS that was written every day...editorials..opinions...Mohans wisdom. The journalists that toed the party line of misinformation. Coming back to Auckland the misinformation coming out of Cambodia since February has topped everything I ever saw there. I've lived there as have you expats, we never believed any of it. The majority of the Khmer's do.
Currently, Auckland has 28 confirmed cases of corona virus. Cambodia has how many? Really?? The misinformation, the BS, the "Cambodia is too hot" the cruise ship welcome and Chinese money influence, is going to so hurt Kampuchea and I hate that. Cambodia was my home for five years, regardless of the crazy absurd moments that we have all seen there....I loved it.
To all you expats who live in Cambodia...I wish you all well. Stay safe.
# When that Cruise Ship entered Chinaville and his Excellency welcomed and gave out warm handshakes to delighted passengers they should have also had a song played.  Mick Jagger could have sung it. What is it.....Sympathy for the....."Please allow me to introduce myself, I'm a man of wealth and taste........pleased to meet you...hope you guessed my NAME"
hunter8
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Sympathy for the...

Post by hunter8 »

How many people died from this virus in New Zealand? After 3 months of it spreading.
cptrelentless
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by cptrelentless »

There are some really terrible grammatical errors in your writing...
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

cptrelentless wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 3:53 pm There are some really terrible grammatical errors in your writing...

It's not really the time to be boasting about going to school and uni. Some of us didn't have the same opportunity as others.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Daniel1912
Tourist
Germany

Post by Daniel1912 »

And sometimes it's just the google translator that messes up the words ;-)
Electric Earth
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Electric Earth »

Duncan wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 4:12 pm
cptrelentless wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 3:53 pm There are some really terrible grammatical errors in your writing...

It's not really the time to be boasting about going to school and uni. Some of us didn't have the same opportunity as others.
I think he was mentioning it partly because the OP seems to be saying he worked in written media? I must confess I thought the same thing, though don't really mention such things on internet forums just due to the hopeless nature of it.
Do you think the parents of baby boomers whined so much when the boomers started changing society? And yet the whiney ones like to call young people "snowflakes." Hmm...
j57
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by j57 »

poor bastard sounds miserable over there missing his 50 cent pussy and 10 dollar beers...
the Kiwi money is tanking..
He could still buy a pack of smokes for a kiwi dollar..
I just saw where Amazon has stopped their prime food delivery service...My place in the USA is 40km from any market..Amazon and UPS are my lifelines.
I would be fucking miserable too if I was back in the USA instead of looking across the room at my beautiful Khmer wife in SR...
the press is fake and a joke across the planet...not just in Cambodia...
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

hunter8 wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 1:56 pm How many people died from this virus in New Zealand? After 3 months of it spreading.
How many are dying in italy ? more than china now. NHS estimates for uk deaths will be 250,000-500,000.
There is no evidence so far that hot weather slows down or kills the virus. Population density and social customs seem to be more of an issue.
Today the first hospital in London ran out of ITU facilities and it has barely begun. Today the UK government is asking retired doctors and nurses to com e back.
If you are one of the luddittes who doesn not see the seriousness of it please go and self quarantine so you dont kill anyoje else. jeezus christ even trump now sees it is a problem !
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic