Chiang Mai vs Siem Reap

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
EdinWigan
Expatriate
Great Britain

Chiang Mai vs Siem Reap

Post by EdinWigan »

Chiang Mai v Siem Reap

Reading an article Chiang Mai seems to be about $650 a month compared to $1000 for Siem Reap

What are the pros and cons of each ?
Remember your Karma helps a Wet Child In Wigan !
Cowshed Cowboy
Expatriate
Thailand

Re: Chiang Mai v Siem Reap

Post by Cowshed Cowboy »

For me Ed is I think the landscape around Chiang Mai is more interesting than Siem Reap. I prefer more mountainous terrain and I think that area of Thailand is beautiful. The climate being cooler is a big plus. It's a few years since I last visited and I know the traffic and the town has got busier but then that's probably similar to SR. The food in Thailand I find better than Cambodia and Chiang Mai still offers Western choices and pubs if you get a craving. Some great affordable golf courses in Chiang Mai if you fancy the odd game. Being a University town plenty of eye candy to dribble your beer over. For an outdoor life I think I'd probably choose Chiang Mai.
Yes sir, I can boogie, I can boogie, boogie, boogie all night long.
EdinWigan
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by EdinWigan »

City: Chiang Mai
Cost of living (pm): $641 USD
Temperature: 38°c
Internet speed: 20mbps
Chiang Mai on Nomad List
Also on Thailand’s list: Bangkok ($1,353), Phuket ($995) and Pai ($1,007)

Thailand ranks highly due to its extremely low cost of living and beautiful weather. It is a secular country that is friendly towards foreigners, making it an attractive option for expats. Chiang Mai pictured above is the fifth largest city in Thailand with a population of 170,000. That said, it is much greener and quieter than Bangkok and is located on a plain at 316m, surrounded by mountains and lush countryside.

City: Siem Reap
Cost of living (pm): $1,040 USD
Temperature: 31°c
Internet speed: 5mbps
Siem Reap on Nomad List

Siem Reap is Cambodia’s biggest tourist stop due to its world-renowned Angkor temples. Despite the throngs, it maintains a laidback attitude and offers a good compromise between local Cambodian life and modern services and conveniences. Plus, being a stone’s throw away from Angkor can’t be a bad thing.

I really like Siem Reap but I also enjoyed Chiang Mai both are nice choices
Remember your Karma helps a Wet Child In Wigan !
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

given the choice i would head another 120 kms north of Chaing Mai an settle in Chaing Rai. ( if i moved out of Phuket)

the area is so much nicer in Northern Thailand than SR,
better food
better climate
better shopping ( for groceries, food, anything)
only dif it will cost ya a bit more to get drunk

Buy a motorcycle an you wil never be bored with the rides within 200 kms ( which includes Laos)
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
potty
Expatriate

Post by potty »

both are small stupid towns.
but SR is ways better than chiang mai.
CM is one of the ugliest cities on earth.
there is nothing to hang out, only crap cafes.
everything is crap there, really everything.
also, its full of thais.

only good thing there is the western managed rimping supermarket.
wackyjacky
Expatriate

Post by wackyjacky »

This is a no-brainer IMO. Unless you're an Archaeologist, everything is far better in CM, except alcohol prices. Visas aren't easy anymore over there though, unless you've got the cash for a 'Retirement Visa'.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

there is no "retirement visa" its a visa extension for reason of retirement
and u don't need a lot of $$, as long as u have some kind of a pension from outside Thailand
and adobe :-)
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
wackyjacky
Expatriate

Post by wackyjacky »

Thank you Richard for correcting my grievous error of calling a Visa Extension For Reason of Retirement a "Retirement Visa" . That added so much to the dialogue.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

ahh but without the correct words
where would we be>> LOL

Anyway,
everyone that matters agrees CM, CR would be a better choice than SR
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Re: Chiang Mai vs Siem Reap

Post by vladimir »

Nobody mentioned the hospitals...no contest, Thailand wins.

Reliable energy, better infrastructure, nicer food.

Only negative, totally loony government.
Jesus loves you...Mexico is great, right? ;)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic