PP commuting: Mountain Bike or Jap commuter bicycle?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
djones
Expatriate
Bahamas

PP commuting: Mountain Bike or Jap commuter bicycle?

Post by djones »

I like walking around a new city because for me it's the best way of getting a map of the place in my head. But if i start work i won't have so much time for dawdling around so cycling will cut journey times. Normally i'd buy a mountain bike for urban commuting but PP is flat as **** so a 15 speed bike seems like an excessive complication + most of the cheap new or second hand MTB's i've seen appear to have really poor quality s****y components. Having said that the roads do have some motherf*******y huge craters, just avoid them or get MTB with suspension? (last MTB i owned was before suspension was common so never even ridden one) Possibly if i could get a decent MTB < $200 i'd go for it, anything more expensive is just a pain if it gets nicked. I believe you can get a basic Jap single speed commuter from Sok Hok St circa $40 which is very tempting if you can get one in good working order. I had a quick look there today and was surprised that they were offering me so so no name-brand MTB's in the $100 region.
Any cyclists have any advice for me?
rick_o'shea
Expatriate

Re: PP commuting: Mountain Bike or Jap commuter bicycle?

Post by rick_o'shea »

Visit the Giant store opposite baktouk high school. You'll find basic MTBs at good prices that will make a commute a bit more comfortable than a Japanese town bike.
Sir_Quality_U_Feel
Expatriate

Post by Sir_Quality_U_Feel »

Yes
I'll give ya 500 Riel for it...
djones
Expatriate
Bahamas

Post by djones »

Thanks that's pretty close to me so i'll visit today. A lot of the Sok Hok cheap MTB's looked in pretty ratty condition. I don't mind stripping a bike down if i have the time and all the tools but starting with something in good working order is my preference.The one's i saw at City Mart and Aeon ~ $200 were (to me) unknown brands and real cheapo components at least Giant is a brand i've heard of
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Post by vladimir »

Buy a T34. Only (reasonably) safe way of commuting in the Hieronymous Bosch world of chaos.
Jesus loves you...Mexico is great, right? ;)
Secret Squirrel
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Secret Squirrel »

If you buy a decent MTB have a think about the pretty high possibility of it being stolen. Your 40 dollar style will hurt a lot less if it goes walkies.is there secure storage at both ends of commute? How far is commute and which areas?
rick_o'shea
Expatriate

Post by rick_o'shea »

I'm not keen on giant per se, and the customer service leaves a lot to be desired there. However they will wash and tune up your bike for free. GT and Cannondale are available at Flying Bikes on st 51 (a gt avalanche is the bottom end and might cost you 400$+) and now even Scott has a shop here opposite o'russei, but the prices are through the roof.
I have a Cannondale S4 for sale next week, but it has tubeless tyres and is probs worth 500.
djones
Expatriate
Bahamas

Post by djones »

vladimir wrote:Buy a T34.
Can you hook me up? i might need a driver :shock:
Secret Squirrel wrote:If you buy a decent MTB have a think about the pretty high possibility of it being stolen. Your 40 dollar style will hurt a lot less if it goes walkies.is there secure storage at both ends of commute? How far is commute and which areas?
I bought a reasonable Kryptonite Ulock + cable with me and guess being sensible about where you leave it is the best precaution. I don't have a job yet so routes, accomodation etc are unknown ATM
rick_o'shea wrote: I have a Cannondale S4 for sale next week, but it has tubeless tyres and is probs worth 500.
Thanks but i just want a basic MTB for city commuting nothing too fancy or painful if nicked. The base model alu framed Giant looks suitable for my needs/budget etc. Cheaper steel framed bikes weighed a f*****g ton. I guess i'll stick with the rental bike awhile and see if anything comes up second-hand. Today was my first day cycling round PP, reminds me of my brief stint cycle couriering in London what can i say FuN :dm: FuN :D FUN :D No traffic rules and you move quicker than most of the vehicular traffic. hardly seems worth buying anything motorized
Thanks for the replies and if anyone sees a decent MTB going ~$2-300 give me a shout
P.S Yes i did bring helmet and lights ;)
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

My MoTorBike is pretty good for riding around town, although it's an XR650 and these suicidal lunatics in lycra on pushies keep getting in the way. Boy, do those guys take themselves seriously.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
rick_o'shea
Expatriate

Post by rick_o'shea »

These Beardy wierdies on motos they can't control should give up the steppenwolf dream! Keep taking your glucosamine and cod liver oil grandad!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic