DO NOT FEED: Angkor Wat Monkeys are Becoming Agressive

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

DO NOT FEED: Angkor Wat Monkeys are Becoming Agressive

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Cambodia News (Siem Reap Province): According to the Apsara authorities in Siem Reap, the number of wild monkeys living around the Angkor Wat archeological park has increased recently, causing more injuries and damage to the tourists and the temples. With the increase in the numbers of monkeys, the competition for food has become more intense, and the monkeys have become bolder in stealing food and other belongings from the tourists visiting the famous temples.
People, and children in particular, are being attacked and bitten by the monkeys, who no longer fearing humans have become increasingly agressive in their attacks on tourists to steal their food and drinks. The local park authorities urge visitors not to encourage the monkeys by feeding them or trying to take selfies with them. When they are no longer afraid of man, these monkeys become difficult to manage, or even dangerous.
ImageImageImageImageImage
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: DO NOT FEED: Angkor Wat Monkeys are Becoming Agressive

Post by Alex »

I was warned to stay well clear of those f'kers last year already. I'm glad I did.
reggie perrin's dad
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by reggie perrin's dad »

Macaques are nasty. Not sure why people find them cute. Possibly because they're somewhat human but I'm very wary of the little bastards.

Years ago, in Indonesia one went for my face and but for a chain which by sheer luck kept it just from me it could've done some damage. I just happened to be walking in its vicinity but had done nothing to antagonize it. I didn't even see it until it was leaping for my face. Reminiscent of the scene from Raising Arizona with the chained dog.

Have seen lots of locals taking pictures of them with quite fancy cameras.

I keep myself and my family well away from them but still there have been some issues here without being silly and baiting them.

Feed them? I'd give the little fuckers poison.
one_dolla
Expatriate

Post by one_dolla »

I have noticed since Bokor opened after the pandemic when cycling up there more aggressive monkeys, twice in my last two rides a different big male charged me...as I am going up hill slowly of course...I ride as far away from from them as possible so usually in the middle of the road when its empty of traffic..what surprised me the last time was when the bugger roared(?)and charged me when I shouted Feck off you bastard ... he stopped dead in his tracks... I had no idea they understood Scottish accented English! ..... I was thinking about a ride up there this morning earlier but remembered that git so will leave it for today and just go on a flat ride...
Pre-pandemic they never came near at all up there
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

A couple of weeks of shooting, poisoning or trapping (and selling) will fix the problem. But they won't do anything about it until the place gets a terrible reputation and tourists stop going. It sounds like that process is well underway. .
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Doc67 wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 7:53 am But they won't do anything about it until the place gets a terrible reputation and tourists stop going. It sounds like that process is well underway. .
Tourists stop going? That isn't happening anytime soon.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

John Bingham wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 7:58 am
Doc67 wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 7:53 am But they won't do anything about it until the place gets a terrible reputation and tourists stop going. It sounds like that process is well underway. .
Tourists stop going? That isn't happening anytime soon.
Sure, hence "process". I wasn't suggesting cancellations will begin tomorrow, but the attacks have started.

They should nip this in the bud now.
DLsea
Expatriate
South Africa

Post by DLsea »

Having spent decades working in a field where dealing with baboon vs tourist/farmer conflict was part of the job description, I can assure you that the macaque situation in the Angkor Archaeological Park is too far advanced to be "nipped in the bud". In 2017 when I first visited Siem Reap it was already too far advanced, and has subsequently just gotten worse. Through years of experience these macaques have lost all fear of humans and are now attracted to them as a source of food. The situation as it stands today is irreversible.

The reported population growth can be put down to an over abundance of food and an absence of natural predators. For macaques it's a good life, mabe too good - I have never seen more grossly obese wild animals as amongst the macaque population within the Angkor complex. There are hordes of Khmer feeding them every day to the extent that the macaques often ignore another mango/banana etc that is offered. There are even hawkers hanging around or stopping to sell you something to feed to them. Add to this the scrapings from all of the "bush" and roadside restuarants, leftovers from picnics which are left in situ, and, if that is not enough for them to pig out on, they can always resort to scrounging in a rubbish bin on the off chance of finding something that a barang tourist disposed of.

Around Angkor Wat and Bayon you will always find troops of macaques surrounded and followed by groups of 5-20 Khmer 'videograhers' who post videos daily on social media............and also handfeed the animals, many of which have 'names' on these social media videos. In the recent past they objected vehemently on social media and in the press because APSARA removed a few troublesome individuals, afterall, their income is derived from their macaque videos. They will oppose any future attempts as all of the trouble making individuals are from the troops that these videographers/vloggers film.

What ever course of action they choose to take, APSARA is stuck between a rock and a hard place. They're damned if they do and they're damned if they don't. Victims will demand action and animal rightists (plus others) will oppose any actions. The problem is likely to get worse, as all of the squatters and the spread out roadside food vendors and restuarants are being relocated. This will lead to a reduction of human food which in turn may lead to an increase in the 'snatch & grab' incidents and 'attacks'. Removing the 'bad' individuals brings only a very temporary respite as the other troop members have already learned the tricks and within a few weeks there will be another 'baddie' to replace them. Removing an entire troop will create a territorial vacuum into which another troop will move. APSARA inadvertently allowed the situation to develop and unfortunately, they now have a problem which will plague them - probably forever!

Case in point: A protected area at Cape Point in South Africa has to deal with baboon/tourist conflicts. There the management authorities have been trying to control this since the 1960s and it is still an ongoing problem, this is despite education and awareness programs, guards, baboon-proof refuse bins, warning signs, hefty fines (in the unlikely event that you are caught feeding them) and removing rogue individuals whenever they get too out of hand.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Good post but is it really that bad? I was at Angkor last month for about the tenth time and much like any other time didn't get bothered by any monkeys. I have of course seen morons feeding them and getting way too close videoing them.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Doc67 wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 7:53 am A couple of weeks of shooting, poisoning or trapping (and selling) will fix the problem. But they won't do anything about it until the place gets a terrible reputation and tourists stop going. It sounds like that process is well underway. .
You seem to have changed your tune in the past couple of years!
Doc67 wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 1:31 pm The monkeys were the most pleasing aspect of my one and only visit to Ankkor Wat.
topic42556.html
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic