Buying abroad and having it shipped to Cambodia.

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Buying abroad and having it shipped to Cambodia.

Post by xandreu »

It's possible this post might get removed because there's a possible conflict of interest with the Cambo Quick advert I see at the top of my screen. (I'm aware the ad helps to pay for the upkeep of the website). But I'll post it anyway and see what happens.

I'm sure we're all aware we can buy things from Amazon or eBay and have them shipped to the Kingdom of Wonder. It's just that, in cases like this, the 'wonder' part comes into play when we have no idea how much tax we'll be charged when our goods finally arrive and are ready to be collected.
In that way, companies like Cambo Quick take the confusion out of the equation. What you see is what you pay. (I'm hoping that endorsement is enough to keep this post afloat)

But a Khmer friend of mine told me recently that there's a special Facebook page / account / whatever set up by Cambodia Post where you can send them an IM, describing your item, where you've bought it from (or where you're thinking of buying it from) and the monetary value of said item.

Apparently they will respond with the exact amount of tax you'd pay upon collection.

Anyone heard of this? The guy who told me about it wasn't sure of the FB account (it was a quick conversation, I had to rush off) but I've done a bit of digging around online and I can't find it.

Has anyone heard of this?
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
Cinnamoncat
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Buying abroad and having it shipped to Cambodia.

Post by Cinnamoncat »

I'm very interested in knowing this too. I've just written to Cambo Quick with a quotation enquiry.
"Love and Loss in Cambodia: a memoir" available on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0578537788
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Cinnamoncat wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 1:30 am I'm very interested in knowing this too. I've just written to Cambo Quick with a quotation enquiry.

I sent a e/mail to Cambodia Quick a few months ago
enquirying on something and never got a reply back.

Ended up ordering a item from America and have been waiting 3months and still waiting. The company I ordered it from says they can only refund the money in to my bitcoin account,,, which I don't have.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Cinnamoncat
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Cinnamoncat »

Duncan wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 6:47 am
Cinnamoncat wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 1:30 am I'm very interested in knowing this too. I've just written to Cambo Quick with a quotation enquiry.

Ended up ordering a item from America and have been waiting 3months and still waiting. The company I ordered it from says they can only refund the money in to my bitcoin account,,, which I don't have.
And just what the hell is bitcoin anyway? I put it right up there with those fake coins for a free lei in Hawaii!
"Love and Loss in Cambodia: a memoir" available on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0578537788
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Amazing. They must be the one and only ‘Just bitcoin’ company in the world without access to PayPal, a bank account.... :stir:
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Kammekor wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:21 am

Amazing. They must be the one and only ‘Just bitcoin’ company in the world without access to PayPal, a bank account.... :stir:

I paid them using Paypal.

Quote from my e/mail ] Do you have a Bitcoin address? That's the only way we can refund an international order.

Sent from Mailspring, the best free email app for work
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

Duncan wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 11:44 am

Quote from my e/mail ] Do you have a Bitcoin address? That's the only way we can refund an international order.

Open a Paypal dispute and quote that message to them.
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

If you're still within the timeframe (3 months?) you could issue a PayPal case. They always give the buyer the benefit in case there's some doubt.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

xandreu wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 12:54 am
But a Khmer friend of mine told me recently that there's a special Facebook page / account / whatever set up by Cambodia Post where you can send them an IM, describing your item, where you've bought it from (or where you're thinking of buying it from) and the monetary value of said item.

Apparently they will respond with the exact amount of tax you'd pay upon collection.

Anyone heard of this? The guy who told me about it wasn't sure of the FB account (it was a quick conversation, I had to rush off) but I've done a bit of digging around online and I can't find it.

Has anyone heard of this?
Yes. It's called "Fado168", I think.

I just buy all my stuff from mostly Americas based sellers and send all to my Florida P.O box where it gets consolidated and re-shipped. It's more reliable than Camboquick and I haven't been stung for import tax on anything since 2017.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Sending cryptocurrency is almost free and very fast.

Swift transfers take a long time and are very expensive.

You can open a bitcoin wallet for free in around five minutes and use the guy in the banner advert at top of page to cash it out for a small fee.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic