Air services from PNH to REP

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Air services from PNH to REP

Post by Freightdog »

Has anyone used one of (how many are running?) the airline services to Siem Reap recently?
I just got a quote for $1300 for 3 adults, 2 kids and an infant, as an alternative to driving up from Phnom Penh. Seems a little on the pricey side.

ID for kids.
Have any of you travelled by air with a family member who has no official ID? Is there a process in Cambodia for this, or does it simply never happen?
rogerrabbit
Expatriate

Re: Air services from PNH to REP

Post by rogerrabbit »

Freightdog wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 8:49 pm Has anyone used one of (how many are running?) the airline services to Siem Reap recently?
I just got a quote for $1300 for 3 adults, 2 kids and an infant, as an alternative to driving up from Phnom Penh. Seems a little on the pricey side.

ID for kids.
Have any of you travelled by air with a family member who has no official ID? Is there a process in Cambodia for this, or does it simply never happen?
There are few airlines flying between Phnom Penh and Siem Reap now days. And someone is trying to take some extra on your tickets. When are you flying? Check online for trip.com or Skyscanner. Quick look and for that many people the total is anywhere between $200-$500 (round trip) as long as you are not flying within a week.

Cheapest ticket I have paid for PP-SR was $32 for roundtrip (1 person).

EDIT: about the ID and kids. I think birth certificate is enough for kids. But you might want to phone to airline and make sure it is still like this. But adults needs ID or passport for sure.
samrong01
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by samrong01 »

There used to be about 5 or more airlines on the route Siem Reap - Phnom Penh. Most of them have gone. I think Bassaka Air was the best and usually $38 pp but I do not think they still operate the route. They used to have 1 flight a day. Bayon Airlines with their Chinese turboprops seems to be gone. I recently travelled JC Airlines and I think I paid about $38. Their timetable is pretty random with different times every day. The Lithuanian carrier Small Planet operated for a while but went bust. Lan Mei Airlines seems to accept only Chinese passengers. Your excessively high quote was probably on Cambodia Angkor Air who have a regular schedule but are expensive.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

samrong01 wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 8:17 pm Lan Mei Airlines seems to accept only Chinese passengers.
No. I'm not Chinese and flew them twice. But had to use PayPal twice to pay for the ticket, no CC payment possible back then, now on their website there's an item 'how to pay by cc'. Did not try.
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

Kammekor wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 8:37 pm
samrong01 wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 8:17 pm Lan Mei Airlines seems to accept only Chinese passengers.
No. I'm not Chinese and flew them twice. But had to use PayPal twice to pay for the ticket, no CC payment possible back then, now on their website there's an item 'how to pay by cc'. Did not try.
I have travelled three times with Lanmei, each time opting for Paypal and then choosing credit card. There can be a delay in confirmation, however, if the credit card is not from the USA. The airline is OK, not as smart as JC but good enough and they include 25kg of checked baggage (to/from BKK).
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

Freightdog wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 8:49 pm Has anyone used one of (how many are running?) the airline services to Siem Reap recently?
That is an extreme price. As suggested, try the screenscrapers and also the individual airline websites, but JC and Lanmei are slow and fiddly so could be hard work for booking a large group. Look at the (online) arrivals board for PNH or REP to get the names of other airlines plying the route and try their websites.
In my experience, booking with travel agent shops in Cambodia (probably anywhere) does not get you a good deal.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic