Is it necessary to have full custody of a child to take them out of the country?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
DeparRudeAnts
Expatriate
Afghanistan

Is it necessary to have full custody of a child to take them out of the country?

Post by DeparRudeAnts »

Im pretty sure it is...
And it's already been confirmed she's happy to sign.
Just making sure I'm not wasting time and money on things that don't need doing.

Thanks in advance
sumfin smart
Darkcel
Expatriate
Angola

Re: Is it necessary to have full custody of a child to take them out of the country?

Post by Darkcel »

I took my son to Korea to visit her uncle on base and my wife just signed a document we typed on word in English and Khmer stating she can travel out of the country with me.

Turns out we didn't even need it, just wanted her ticket just like mine. But it's better safe than sorry.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Re: Is it necessary to have full custody of a child to take them out of the country?

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Have the mother write and sign a Consent Letter for Travel (as a Solo Parent Travelling with Kids), along with a copy of the birth certificate showing you as the father and a copy of the mother's passport or National ID.

It is highly unlikely you will be asked anything, especially by Cambodian Immigration, and certainly not if you share the same last name. If your kids don't have your last name, then you may be questioned, so better to have the letter to be on the safe side.

I do this whenever i travel with the kids without my wife, not once have I ever been questioned, kids have my last name, but better to be safe than sorry.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

It depends on the destination. I think you need to show you have permission in some countries. I've traveled out of the country with just my son many times and have never been asked.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
DeparRudeAnts
Expatriate
Afghanistan

Post by DeparRudeAnts »

Thanks, just what I wanted to hear! His BC has been sent back to correct everything, I'm hoping to get the application done for his UK passport very soon.

Ive been told this can be a lengthy process.. I'm guessing a Khmer passport is useless except for when we're returning?

Any ideas if health reasons might fast track the application? Dropping me in winter would do me no good. I can't even do fans these days
sumfin smart
krisduncs
Expatriate

Post by krisduncs »

I took both of my daughters out to europe. Nobody checked anything.
krisduncs
Expatriate

Post by krisduncs »

Twice
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

DeparRudeAnts wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 1:15 am Thanks, just what I wanted to hear! His BC has been sent back to correct everything, I'm hoping to get the application done for his UK passport very soon.

Ive been told this can be a lengthy process.. I'm guessing a Khmer passport is useless except for when we're returning?

Any ideas if health reasons might fast track the application? Dropping me in winter would do me no good. I can't even do fans these days
For the UK it can be difficult. They might demand a DNA test, it's happened to friends.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

DeparRudeAnts wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 9:35 pm Im pretty sure it is...
And it's already been confirmed she's happy to sign.
Just making sure I'm not wasting time and money on things that don't need doing.

Thanks in advance
Generally in Phnom Penh there's no hassle when leaving, but entering / leaving any Western country without written consent by the mother is asking for trouble. I did it once in 2022 with my (then) 10 year old and I was not asked for the document, because my kid could answer all questions asked in a satisfying way.
Since it's legally required, you might as well.use it when leaving.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

DeparRudeAnts wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 1:15 am

You can use it, but a visa (for ur kid) is required then and it will raise questions, for instance why your kid doesn't travel with a passport with your nationality. If immigration suspects trafficking they can make life very difficult for you at the airport. So better travel as smooth as possible.

If you return, apply for a K-visa for your kid @ Pochentong. It's free if you provide the correct documents and will allow your kid to enter / leave Cambodia using the foreign passport (too).
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic