Koh Kong School Principal Accused of Beating Girl's Bottom

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Koh Kong School Principal Accused of Beating Girl's Bottom

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Koh Kong, Cambodia News: The mother of a second grade girl student at the Kampuchaboth General Knowledge School in Koh Kong province has filed a complaint with police against the principal of the school for beating her daughter.
On 22 March 2019, after a complaint by the student, the girl's parents saw that she had swollen bruises across her bottom consistent with a beating.They are very angry and say that it is not acceptable to use violence as punishment against children. Eight other children are also reported to have been hit, but not as badly.
Every month, the girl's parents say that they spend about 45,000 Riel to pay for their daughter's school fees because they thought it was a good school and also close to their home. Now, they want justice, and they want all teachers to stop hitting children in schools. They have refused the offer of $300 compensation to withdraw their complaint.
Seng Sothy, deputy director of Koh Kong Provincial Department of Education, Youth and Sports, has said that he had already received information on the case.

[CEO NEWS: In the Khmer news article there is a photo of the girl's bottom which shows definite bruising. It will not be posted here. Take our word for it.]
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
TOG
Expatriate
Singapore

Re: Koh Kong School Principal Accused of Beating Girl's Bottom

Post by TOG »

I could have made a fortune with compensation when I was at school if this was the case.

Not a month went past without being caned and having six good stripes across my backside. I would never dare tell my father or else I would get a real belt thrashing.

I had the conjugation of Latin verbs slippered into me and I can still recite my Latin to this day.

Whatever happened to good old fashioned discipline and six of the best?
You don't stop riding when you get old, you get old when you stop riding
RickyBobby
BANNED
Cambodia

Post by RickyBobby »

TOG wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 2:20 am I could have made a fortune with compensation when I was at school if this was the case.

Not a month went past without being caned and having six good stripes across my backside. I would never dare tell my father or else I would get a real belt thrashing.

I had the conjugation of Latin verbs slippered into me and I can still recite my Latin to this day.

Whatever happened to good old fashioned discipline and six of the best?
Right? When I grew up, if a teacher used corporal punishment on you, your parents re-affirmed it and doubled down.
"Dear Lord Baby Jesus, Lyin in a Manger"
violet
Expatriate

Post by violet »

Not referencing the OP but in response to subsequent comments about whatever happened to good old fashioned....

Humans fought valiantly to distinguish themselves further from other animals, that's what they did. They do things like declaring any type of physical action against a child outrageous and abhorrent, while failing to consider how those pesky animal behaviours they are trying to wipe out appear in other ways later down the track.

We are a messed up species in denial of our real character. I am guilty of it too to some degree.

Edit add I am not saying we should be belting children, but not am I saying there should be zero physical behaviour modification
Despite what angsta states, it’s clear from reading through his posts that angsta supports the free FreePalestine movement.
TOG
Expatriate
Singapore

Post by TOG »

violet wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:02 am Humans fought valiantly to distinguish themselves further from other animals, that's what they did. They do things like declaring any type of physical action against a child outrageous and abhorrent, while failing to consider how those pesky animal behaviours they are trying to wipe out appear in other ways later down the track.
Homo Sapiens is around 200,000 years old.

Corporal punishment has been an accepted form of discipline right up to 1966 in the UK. So it has only been banned for 52 years.That's one hell of a long valiant fight to distinguish ourselves from other animals. I do not seem to remember any hard fought campaigns through the centuries but don't let facts get in the way.

I would add it is only outrageous and abhorrent to a minority who unfortunately in this PC world seem to sway the authorities. Yougov polls show that over half the British public would support corporal punishment in schools.

Somehow, I think the animals have it right and the enlightened luvvies have it wrong when I see kids running amok in supermarkets without a care from their parents, knife crime among children having gone through the roof and manners having ceased to exist for the majority.

Yup, a world we can really be proud of as we let the little darlings do what they want when they want.

Oh well, it's only a fad that will change in a century or so and life will return to the status quo.
Big'n
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Big'n »

Just like in most other countries, Cambodia has flipped education on its head and now the students have more authority than the teachers. I know because I have taught in the USA and am now here in Cambodia and because it's pay-for-play, a few complaints about too strict or too much homework and, boom you're done!
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Each and every teacher or parent needing to beat up a 7 years old child's bottom until it has several bruises isn't worth the job. That's not a 'corporal' punishment, that's abuse.
violet
Expatriate

Post by violet »

TOG wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 3:20 pm
violet wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:02 am Humans fought valiantly to distinguish themselves further from other animals, that's what they did. They do things like declaring any type of physical action against a child outrageous and abhorrent, while failing to consider how those pesky animal behaviours they are trying to wipe out appear in other ways later down the track.
Homo Sapiens is around 200,000 years old.

Corporal punishment has been an accepted form of discipline right up to 1966 in the UK. So it has only been banned for 52 years.That's one hell of a long valiant fight to distinguish ourselves from other animals. I do not seem to remember any hard fought campaigns through the centuries but don't let facts get in the way.

I would add it is only outrageous and abhorrent to a minority who unfortunately in this PC world seem to sway the authorities. Yougov polls show that over half the British public would support corporal punishment in schools.

Somehow, I think the animals have it right and the enlightened luvvies have it wrong when I see kids running amok in supermarkets without a care from their parents, knife crime among children having gone through the roof and manners having ceased to exist for the majority.

Yup, a world we can really be proud of as we let the little darlings do what they want when they want.

Oh well, it's only a fad that will change in a century or so and life will return to the status quo.
That comment alone shows you misread what I wrote, or I didn't write very clearly
Despite what angsta states, it’s clear from reading through his posts that angsta supports the free FreePalestine movement.
TOG
Expatriate
Singapore

Post by TOG »

violet wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 4:36 pm That comment alone shows you misread what I wrote, or I didn't write very clearly
Re reading your post, it can be read several ways.

Hard to say if you are saying humanity is messed up by administering punishment in order to discipline or messed up because it stopped discipline.

Benefit of the doubt?
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Kammekor wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 4:06 pm Each and every teacher or parent needing to beat up a 7 years old child's bottom until it has several bruises isn't worth the job. That's not a 'corporal' punishment, that's abuse.
Agree. Hitting or beating school kids as a punishment is not ok.
There is so much violence going on in Cambodian society that I think it' s a good thing that these parents are sticking up for their daughter. ;-)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic