Outcry as Garment Worker Dies of Haemorrhage in Childbirth

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Outcry as Garment Worker Dies of Haemorrhage in Childbirth

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

A very sad but common enough tragedy has struck a poor Cambodian family when the mother died in childbirth.

Mother's Death in Childbirth Sparks Outcry in Cambodia
February 24, 2019 0:15 AM
Prak Soda and Suon Sakhen, high school sweethearts, married seven years ago. Lifelong residents of Svay Rieng province, one of Cambodia’s poorest, they were expecting an uneventful delivery of their second child earlier this month.

Prak Soda had taken a few days off work at a nearby garment factory to rest up and prepare.

But 27-year-old Prak Soda, a woman who knew how to add fun and laughter to a party, died from severe bleeding shortly after delivering her baby boy with a midwife’s assistance.

Her death sparked a national conversation.

Suon Sakhen, also a garment worker, said his wife appeared to be in good health immediately after giving birth.

“My wife was OK. She asked the baby after delivering: ‘Can you cry?’” he told VOA Khmer in a recent interview at his home.

But Prak Soda kept bleeding, bleeding so severe Suon Sakhen said he argued with the midwife until she dispatched the new mother to the provincial hospital.

Prak Soda died from the loss of blood en route to the hospital.

“Inside the ambulance, the medical person told me that my wife died, but I couldn’t believe it. So I asked the driver to continue driving until we reached the provincial hospital,” Sakhen said. “They confirmed that my wife died.”

The next day, Feb. 5, he filed a complaint with district police alleging negligence by the midwife. VOA Khmer obtained a copy of the filing, which detailed how tragedy struck.
https://www.voanews.com/a/mothers-death ... 01044.html
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram