Speaking Khmer

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Barang chgout
Expatriate

Speaking Khmer

Post by Barang chgout »

Some here speak well and can even read. Others, like myself, are reasonable but still have some to learn.
My question is to (what seems to be) the large majority, who have been here for many years but still only have basic phrases, why?

Sent from my SM-G570Y using Tapatalk

IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Re: Speaking Khmer

Post by IraHayes »

Poor pronunciation and too lazy to really give it any effort if I am being honest. My Cambodian wife speaks Chinese, Vietnamese, and English fluently. I get no end of grief about my lack of Cambodian given my time here :(
I am being forced to speak more now as our current nanny speaks zero English and my wife has had to go to Vietnam for her work. She is being quite patient with me as we try to communicate. But it’s pretty slow going all the same.
Beerinthemorning
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Beerinthemorning »

[liveleak][/liveleak]
Barang chgout wrote: Sun Dec 23, 2018 9:26 pm Some here speak well and can even read. Others, like myself, are reasonable but still have some to learn.
My question is to (what seems to be) the large majority, who have been here for many years but still only have basic phrases, why?

Learning the longest alphabet in the world never came easy.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

Beerinthemorning wrote: Sun Dec 23, 2018 11:31 pm [liveleak][/liveleak]
Barang chgout wrote: Sun Dec 23, 2018 9:26 pm Some here speak well and can even read. Others, like myself, are reasonable but still have some to learn.

Learning the longest alphabet in the world never came easy.
true story
The language with the most letters is Khmer (Cambodian), with 74 (including some without any current use). According to Guinness Book of World Records, 1995, the Khmer alphabet is the largest alphabet in the world. It consists of 33 consonants, 23 vowels and 12 independent vowels.
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

Learning 74 letters is the easy part.

I dont know the exact number, but you probably need to learn 3000 to 5000 words to understand most of what is being said.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

I'd consider myself pretty reasonable at spoken Khmer and I have a huge vocabulary but rarely use it. I only use very basic phrases most of the time because I don't want to get into a conversation about how much I can or can't understand Khmer. I can get going if I'm a bit drunk and stuck with a bunch of people who only speak Khmer though. When I'm forced to speak it my memory suddenly improves. Otherwise I'm just too shy. 8-)
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

John Bingham wrote: Mon Dec 24, 2018 1:27 am
I'd consider myself pretty reasonable at spoken Khmer and I have a huge vocabulary but rarely use it. I only use very basic phrases most of the time because I don't want to get into a conversation about how much I can or can't understand Khmer. I can get going if I'm a bit drunk and stuck with a bunch of people who only speak Khmer though. When I'm forced to speak it my memory suddenly improves. Otherwise I'm just too shy. 8-)
:plus1:
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

I spend a lot of time with Cambodian people, which normally involves speaking Khmer, which is different to those who spend most of their time with English speaking people. I speak English with Cambodian people who speak English. Of course I do spend some time with other foreigners.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

After 15 years here I only know enough basic Khmer to buy stuff at the market. I always speak English with the family and now they all also speak and understand English which will help them for many years to come.
If I learned and spoke Khmer all the time it would only
be of a benefit to me.. And at 71 years of age... for how many years ?
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Felgerkarb
Expatriate

Post by Felgerkarb »

I have gotten very lazy, although I sill read the news since all the juicy stuff stays in Khmer. When Morticia speaks to me in Khmer, I always respond in English...so we have a bilingual conversation...literally. Pubert seems to favor English over Khmer, like a lot of kon gat I know....even though his cousin and mom speak to him in Khmer...copying dad I guess.
===============
We are all puppets in the hands of an insane puppeteer...
--Brother Theodore
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic