Where’s the roadkill?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Where’s the roadkill?

Post by newkidontheblock »

Back in the west, roadkill is a common sight. Dead dog (or cat, sometimes bird) crossing the street, hit by a car, then further driven over by successive vehicles until only a wing or a leg is recognizable as an animal. Every morning, the news reports on some hapless person trying to cross the four of five lane highways (national road), only to be turned into a soccer ball. Gets hit by the first car, bounces across the roadway for successive hits until the body ends up on the side of the road.

Tons of dogs here in the KOW, but no dog bodies seen in the road. Lots of moto/car accidents reported, but no pedestrian soccer balls reported.

Are the animals and people just street smarter in Cambodia?
jekkar
Expatriate

Re: Where’s the roadkill?

Post by jekkar »

newkidontheblock wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:26 am
Are the animals and people just street smarter in Cambodia?
You must live in a different Cambodia..
bvanfossen
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by bvanfossen »

Cant believe you posted this topic, I was just saying the same to a friend last night.

I have not seen a single dead animal in the road here.
A. The *typical* speeds in PP wouldn't kill a dog. I do see a bunch limping around.
B. There's no wildlife here to hit!
C. They are picked up and eaten
one_dolla
Expatriate

Post by one_dolla »

Rats. All the time if you cycle you will see squashed rats. sometimes just squashed - not a pleasant site. next would be snakes but rats mostly....Cycle and ye shall see !
bvanfossen
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by bvanfossen »

one_dolla wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:04 am Rats. All the time if you cycle you will see squashed rats. sometimes just squashed - not a pleasant site. next would be snakes but rats mostly....Cycle and ye shall see !
I'm a reptile enthusiast and look for dead snakes but never see them. I'm curious which species are around.

Do you see them in the city or outside of it?
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

bvanfossen wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:07 am
one_dolla wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:04 am Rats. All the time if you cycle you will see squashed rats. sometimes just squashed - not a pleasant site. next would be snakes but rats mostly....Cycle and ye shall see !
I'm a reptile enthusiast and look for dead snakes but never see them. I'm curious which species are around.

I see lots of squished snakes during the rainy season and lots of dead rats year round. Dogs and cats not so much, though I do see them.
angkorjohn
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by angkorjohn »

bvanfossen wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:07 am

Unlikely to see snakes in PP unless you go further out or across the bridge. However in Siem Reap you would often see their squashed bodies (small snakes, I'm no herpetologist) on the roads out of town each morning.

As for road kill in the city, plenty of dead rats, seen a few cats and dogs as well. they just get churned into the road. Though usually a bigger animal (like a cat or dog) will be scooped up and put in a bin. Seen it a few times on the riverside streets.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

lots of dead rats,
i think one of the main reason theres not so much road kill is because 90% of people are riding around on motorbikes, a motorbike aint gonna drive into a bird/cat/dog and flatten it
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
khmerhamster
Expatriate
Turkmenistan

Post by khmerhamster »

And if a cat, bird, rat is flattened then the local mangy dog will drag it off to eat it.

Loads of dogs with banjaxed legs here, I guess it’s mostly low speed impacts that do some damage but not fatally so.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Where's the roadkill?
topic23188.html

I know, bad taste...no disrespect intended to the deceased or his family and friends.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic