Advice for you at 22

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Advice for you at 22

Post by vladimir »

If you could give yourself advice at 22, what would it be? (inspired by Linkedin run)

For me, it would be do your Master's degree.
Jesus loves you...Mexico is great, right? ;)
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Re: Advice for you at 22

Post by Duncan »

I would say invest in something that is secure and will save you thousands of dollars .

Have a vasectomy.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Jaap N.
Expatriate
Netherlands

Post by Jaap N. »

^Sound advice. lol!
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Post by vladimir »

Monsieur Jaap, up bright and early this morning?

Vasectomy, definitely.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

as nike said

Just do it

Vasectomy?? never. best thing i ever did was have a daughter.
she saved my life
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Post by vladimir »

Tell us more Richard, sounds interesting...perhaps another thread?
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

vladimir wrote:Tell us more Richard, sounds interesting...perhaps another thread?
NOT for forum consumption
some may like to share their lives in public but not me
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

This....
Here’s a little secret: compound interest is a millionaire’s best friend. It's really free money. Seriously. But don’t take our word for it. Just check out this story of Ben and Arthur to understand the power of compound interest.

Ben and Arthur were friends who grew up together. They both knew that they needed to start thinking about the future. At age 19, Ben decided to invest $2,000 every year for eight years. He picked investment funds that averaged a 12% interest rate. Then, at age 26, Ben stopped putting money into his investments. So he put a total of $16,000 into his investment funds.

Now Arthur didn’t start investing until age 27. Just like Ben, he put $2,000 into his investment funds every year until he turned 65. He got the same 12% interest rate as Ben, but he invested 23 more years than Ben did. So Arthur invested a total of $78,000 over 39 years.

When both Ben and Arthur turned 65, they decided to compare their investment accounts. Who do you think had more? Ben, with his total of $16,000 invested over eight years, or Arthur, who invested $78,000 over 39 years?

Believe it or not, Ben came out ahead … $700,000 ahead! Arthur had a total of $1,532,166, while Ben had a total of $2,288,996. How did he do it? Starting early is the key. He put in less money but started eight years earlier. That’s compound interest for you! It turns $16,000 into almost $2.3 million! Since Ben invested earlier, the interest kicked in sooner.
Satiated Parrot
Expatriate
Armenia

Post by Satiated Parrot »

Don't start smoking!
Sir_Quality_U_Feel
Expatriate

Post by Sir_Quality_U_Feel »

If Vlad allows, I'll change the age to my 18 year young self instead of 22. I'd tell my 18 year old self to join the United States Air Force and do 4 years learning a mechanical or technical skills, SOME SKILL even if I hate it, at least I'd have it for life. Then, once my 4 year contract was up, I'd be ready to decide I'd higher education was the correct path.

I have a Bachelors degree in Marketing now because I was a young and immature - as-balls 18 year old and, well, I HAD to pick a major and figure out my life or else I'd fall behind the rest of my global peer group, yeah? Correct? At the time, I sure thought so. One of my biggest regrets is not following the above plan, which was real possibility at the time I was a young 18 year old. However, it was the start of a fairly new War in the middle east. I had a few friends invade Fallujah and while I was just going to the Air Force, their stories of combat and the IEDs were enough to keep me out of any recruiting office.
I'll give ya 500 Riel for it...
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic