Construction in Cambodia.

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
teacha
Tourist
Canada

Construction in Cambodia.

Post by teacha »

[*]I am looking for construction information. Construction here is done with bricks and mortar. This is very porous allowing water to pass. This creates mildew which can be deadly. Does anyone know of anybody doing construction with studs and a vapor barrier? Please, any info. would be helpful.
that genius
Expatriate
Sweden

Re: Construction in Cambodia.

Post by that genius »

Contact Andrew Reid on Facebook, Australian guy.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

best demolish all the houses in the UK, sounds dangerous lol
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Yobbo
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Yobbo »

Be more inclined to go for double brick cavity construction (35mm min cavity).
A lot of supervision is involved, brick ties must be facing down towards the exterior & the cavity must be free off masonry waste obstructions to allow moisture to exit via the flashing & vents. Sealer & acrylic paints would be suffice on the exterior though an acrylic decorative waterproofing membrane would be a better choice depending on your allowance($$$). The interior should be finished with cement render & a hard wall finish (Lime/Gypsum) or also know as white set. In order for this finish to work to it's full potential you must also coat the interior with a breathable compatible alkaline such as a clay based or lime based painted finish.
that genius
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by that genius »

Damn, that sounds way too involved for most western places let alone mass-built Khmer apartments

Wouldn't double solid bricks solve the problem more easily?

Every house I ever lived in before SE Asia was built like that, never any problem
Yobbo
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Yobbo »

that genius wrote: Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:35 pm Damn, that sounds way too involved for most western places let alone mass-built Khmer apartments

Wouldn't double solid bricks solve the problem more easily?

Every house I ever lived in before SE Asia was built like that, never any problem
Solid double brick (9" wall construction) is an old style method that must incorporate a breathable finish!
Double brick cavity is standard western construction method.
Lime when initially set will be a PH level of 10.5 then will even down to approximate level of 8.5( 6 weeks ph leveling is advised).
You will defeat the purpose if you apply an oil based based primer, calcimine finishes were the norm for a reason!
Barang chgout
Expatriate

Post by Barang chgout »

The Yob would appear to know his stuff! Hats off!

Sent from my SM-G570Y using Tapatalk

StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

I watched some neighbours today, they'd obviously called in the "professionals" to raise the road-edge in front of their house, as their corner floods and retains water each time it rains.

Jack-hammered out a base - check.
Packed in some decent rubble - check.
Covered it over with a dry cement/sand mix - huh?
Ran a wet trowel over the top of the dry mix to form a crust of about 5mm - wut?

I'm curious to see which way around the corner that will all move itself.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
cannabistourist
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by cannabistourist »

There is a great forum for builders, it's called Coolthaihouse, lot of info there if you need.
ONLY MONKEYS THINK THAT I AM NOT LIVING IN CAMBODIA BECAUSE I USE VPNs and PROXIES.
Sorry but I do not reply to idiots, especially the old ones.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

StroppyChops wrote: Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:56 pm I watched some neighbours today, they'd obviously called in the "professionals" to raise the road-edge in front of their house, as their corner floods and retains water each time it rains.

Jack-hammered out a base - check.
Packed in some decent rubble - check.
Covered it over with a dry cement/sand mix - huh?
Ran a wet trowel over the top of the dry mix to form a crust of about 5mm - wut?

I'm curious to see which way around the corner that will all move itself.
Update on this, as I know many of you are fascinated by the unfolding story - walked past today, the concrete is already cracking and crumbling.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic