Burma anyone

Do you have a Cambodian trip report you want to share? Post it here, and feel free to link to your blog if it's a travel blog for Cambodia, South East Asia, or anywhere really. You can ask and answer questions about travel advice in Cambodia or just share your pictures and videos with us. Most people who live in or visit Cambodia have also checked out nearby countries like Vietnam, Thailand, Laos, Myanmar, Malaysia, Indonesia and the Philippines, and you can get to most of these countries by traveling overland, so put any travel plans, reviews or questions here. Discussions about dirt bike trails in here as well.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Burma anyone

Post by phuketrichard »

After my last trip back in July , http://teakdoor.com/vietnam-nepal-and-b ... ost2855740

as soon as i returned i started planning the next one.

am looking at renting bikes again and heading up north. Have already stared inquiring if its allowed and if special permission is required.
'
If not, i still want go but it would be by boat/trains/bus's

this is the route, http://goo.gl/maps/eKpHi figure the route would be 6-8 days

few people head up this way an most stick to the Yangoon, Mandalay, Bagan, Inlee lake route. so this will be adventurous.

Yon can fly direct from sr or PP into Mandalay, any one interested?? Plans are for around Cambodian New Years ( mid April)

Heres some reasons,
http://www.thebrokebackpacker.com/10-re ... l-myanmar/

#2 well Bagan is nice but having been twice, wont every return and its not close to Angkor

#6 food is at best, eatable but far from the best in SE asia and far far behind thai food

the rest is pretty spot on.

I first visited inn1988 an it has changed a bit but the next 2-4 years will see a huge change

Come on, any you guys/girls want an adventure out of boring Cambodia??
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Re: Burma anyone

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

Just went on a trip to Vietnam (I'll post a report when I get a bit of time). I'd be tentatively interested. I was planning on India in 2015 (money permitting) or Laos-Thailand-Malaysia but if you've got experience in Myanmar, I might be willing to change my plans.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

You looking to ride out of Cambodia, or fly in?
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

let me know

Malaysia is boring and expensive, been 3 times this year so far but only as far south as Penang and across west to east

Northern Thailand is amazing

Cant ( unless ur on a group tour) ride from Thailand into Burma (YET)
Flying into Mandalay and renting there

Flights are cheap between SR-PP an Mandalay ( less than $200 r/t)
for me, i need travel a bit further but still only about $250
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

phuketrichard wrote:Cant ( unless ur on a group tour) ride from Thailand into Burma (YET)
Flying into Mandalay and renting there
Cheers.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

How much are daily rentals, what kind of bikes and how long are you thinking of staying there?
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote:How much are daily rentals, what kind of bikes and how long are you thinking of staying there?
last bike i rented was a 110 Chinese copy of a honda dream, had no troubles $10/day
he also rents 125 and 250 mx bikes ( $25/$35/day)
u dont need them

i figure the trip is 6-8 days but i will be there for about 12, some places i didn't have time to visit last time around Mandalay
Sir_Quality_U_Feel
Expatriate

Post by Sir_Quality_U_Feel »

Cool
I'll give ya 500 Riel for it...
Stoney
Tourist
Great Britain

Post by Stoney »

Richard

I was there is 2010 travelling from Rangoon to the beaches. I quite fancy going back during Nov or Dec. I've looked at your route and would like more info as I might try it myself. Have you planned stopover points as I notice your itinery comprises three main legs? Can I pm you for more info please? I might just arrange a flight.

Cheers

Stoney
Who ate all the pies.......?
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

sure;
the trip i did in july we rode an average of 9 hours/day. one leg that got us 175 kms only,
another 160 kms. there are places i want to stop along the route but google is not the best tool for Burma roads so u have to be very flexible. This route says its 1,300 kms and only 19 hours LOL
My trip in july was about 800 kms and 30 hours riding time ( of course 1/3rd of that was in the rain) over some really bad roads.

U stop when u have to stop , always someplace to stay if ur determined enough

Nov-dec is the middle of the high season, hotels are all full and at max price, of course up north will be not as bad as fewer tourists.
still waiting to hear back form my contact in Mandalay if this can be done by individuals by motorbike
if it cant , it can be done with flights/boats/trains
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic