Animated graphic shows US bombing of Cambodia 1965-1973

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Animated graphic shows US bombing of Cambodia 1965-1973

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

US National Archives publish time-lapse of American bombing of Cambodia
29 November 2017
The United States National Archives last week released an animated graphic showing the daily distribution of US airstrikes over Cambodia, Vietnam and Laos between October 2, 1965 and August 15, 1973.
The graphic shows a detailed analysis of bombing campaigns using data pulled from the US Air Force, Marines and Navy.

The animation was created for an ongoing exhibition that runs through January 2019 at the US National Archives Museum in Washington, DC titled Remembering Vietnam: Twelve Critical Episodes in the Vietnam War...

http://www.phnompenhpost.com/national/u ... g-cambodia
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Re: Animated graphic shows US bombing of Cambodia 1965-1973

Post by Duncan »

Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Abc123
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Abc123 »

That's a brilliant graphic. I never realised they bombed nearly every square inch of Vietnam. A damning enditement to the excesses of the wealthy trying to protect its interests and the amount of death and destruction it's willing to unlease to those the ends. All those lives lost for what amounted to nothing in terms of its purpose. But not even around 2 + million deaths in Vietnam and Cambodia were enough, they then went on to back anybody or anything capitalist OR communist/ fascist that would punnish the Vietnamese for their defeat. Remember, it wasn't America per se, it was the wealthy Americans that controlled their own interests.
Abc123
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Abc123 »

That post is a bit misguided, as it shows only the US bombing. Successive US governments have realised how bad Nixon and Kissinger were, and have been giving for many years training and millions of dollars to clean up Cambodia's bombs and mines. However, China hasn't given one single penny to clear it own un mapped mines or uxo's. I don't really see it all in terms of political ideologies, I see it more in terms of wealth and power.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

It's an interesting animation, what I find most surprising is the number of bombings made in the early years, before the Nixon administration, some very far west in what appears to be Siem Reap province.
Abc123 wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:27 am

That post is a bit misguided, as it shows only the US bombing.
Other than the Republican Air Force (Khmer Air Force) which was supplied by the US there wasn't much other bombing at time. I'm not sure whether the Republic of Vietnam Air Force bombed Cambodia much. The Vietnam People's Air Force did some bombing during fighting in the 80s but it was insignificant compared to the US effort.
However, China hasn't given one single penny to clear it own un mapped mines or uxo's.
They have finally pledged to. Unlike the US though, the Chinese didn't actually use those weapons themselves, they were supplied to Cambodian armies.
http://www.khmertimeskh.com/5090528/chi ... elp-mines/
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Abc123
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Abc123 »

First, Sorry Duncan, I meant misleading, not misguided.
Abc123 wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:27 am That post is a bit misguided, as it shows only the US bombing.
Other than the Republican Air Force (Khmer Air Force) which was supplied by the US there wasn't much other bombing at time. I'm not sure whether the Republic of Vietnam Air Force bombed Cambodia much. The Vietnam People's Air Force did some bombing during fighting in the 80s but it was insignificant compared to the US effort.
I was talking about explosives specifically, not Chinese bombing.
However, China hasn't given one single penny to clear it own un mapped mines or uxo's.
They have finally pledged to. Unlike the US though, the Chinese didn't actually use those weapons themselves, they were supplied to Cambodian armies.
http://www.khmertimeskh.com/5090528/chi ... elp-mines/
Interestng that only now they have finally decided to clear up their mess. And for what reason?

We are talking two different eras here; The Vietnam American war, and the post Vietnamese invasion civil war.

I take your point that they just supplied training and munitions as opposed to actually weilding them under the Chinese flag. Using Cambodia as a battle ground betweeb two 'communist ideals'.
Wealth and power unfortunately being the defining factor. I will say China became a lot healthier through communism. Shame they were too obsessed with being number one to offer the people of Cambodia the same.
I have read that Uncle Ho was not impressed by Russia in the end, and it was the US administration's paranoia that pushed him into reaffirming ties with Russia. Which would have led to a completely different story perhaps.
cautious colin
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by cautious colin »

270 million cluster bombs dropped on Laos during the 'war', making it the most bombed country in the world.

over 50% of all cluster bomb casualties in the world are in Laos and still roughly 60 million of the the cluster bombs are UXOs
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

cautious colin wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:01 am 270 million cluster bombs dropped on Laos during the 'war', making it the most bombed country in the world.

It's not the most bombed country in the world, both Vietnam and Cambodia were bombed more. It's the most bombed per capita.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Takmav
Expatriate
Costa Rica

Post by Takmav »

John Bingham wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:51 am It's an interesting animation, what I find most surprising is the number of bombings made in the early years, before the Nixon administration, some very far west in what appears to be Siem Reap province.

Yes. They bombed Siem Reap, Batdambong and Koh Kong.
joelightcloud
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by joelightcloud »

And they still lost!
Abc123 wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:15 am That's a brilliant graphic. I never realised they bombed nearly every square inch of Vietnam.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic