worried pattaya expats??

Thailand is Cambodia's neighbor to the West, and this forum is dedicated to Thai news, stories, reviews, blogs, videos, Thai people and anything else related to the country. A lot of expats have both lived and worked in Cambodia and Thailand, and this area is a place to discuss all aspects of life in Thailand and what's going on there. Most topics are about Bangkok and Pattaya because of their larger populations of expatriates and tourists in those cities, but this is for all things Thai.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

worried pattaya expats??

Post by phuketrichard »

what do ya think??
Only 15 percent of those participating thought it was likely they would quit Thailand.The majority mentioned having Thai partners and children to support, enjoying the warm weather, having access to leisure facilities such as golf and still finding Pattaya “a city of fun” in spite of any reservations they might have.About a quarter of respondents had looked into a possible move to a neighboring country but had rejected the idea.Cambodia, in particular, had a free-and-easy visa policy and was still cheaper than Thailand but was not geared up for expat living.“I tried it for two weeks”, said one 68-year old, “but nearly all the expats were working and I couldn’t find anything to do.
http://pattayaone.news/en/pattaya-expat-worries/

I know a few here in Phuket that considered leaving, but none did, they did go look at Cambodia but none said they would even consider it after visiting.
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: worried pattaya expats??

Post by John Bingham »

That's good news.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

phuketrichard wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:14 am what do ya think??
Only 15 percent of those participating thought it was likely they would quit Thailand.The majority mentioned having Thai partners and children to support, enjoying the warm weather, having access to leisure facilities such as golf and still finding Pattaya “a city of fun” in spite of any reservations they might have.About a quarter of respondents had looked into a possible move to a neighboring country but had rejected the idea.Cambodia, in particular, had a free-and-easy visa policy and was still cheaper than Thailand but was not geared up for expat living.“I tried it for two weeks”, said one 68-year old, “but nearly all the expats were working and I couldn’t find anything to do.
http://pattayaone.news/en/pattaya-expat-worries/

I know a few here in Phuket that considered leaving, but none did, they did go look at Cambodia but none said they would even consider it after visiting.
that is a pretty fair view tbh
my mate who has lived in s.e.asia for 15 years, pattaya for the last 5, moved down to sihanoukville at the beginning of the year, lasted 4 months i think, back living in pattaya, said he was bored stiff
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
jayblues
Expatriate

Post by jayblues »

According to the police chief and the head of tourism, Pattaya is a nature resort and a family resort, it's promoted to cater to wealthy families and hiso females as a place to relax and play golf, soak in the atmosphere of a resort for the wealthy hiso and all that is said about Pattaya being a sex tourist destination is just hearsay and abolished talk.
The wealthy need to swim in turd infested waters now, all you party animals must leave.
Goodbye Pattaya. I am glad I knew you before.
tarariverboat
Expatriate
Australia

Post by tarariverboat »

Horses for courses,i lived in Thailand for about 2 years before a quick visit to Cambodia,loved Siem Reap so much i sold my business and moved here.not been to Pattaya for 15 years,but i did not like it than:)
Cowshed Cowboy
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by Cowshed Cowboy »

If I was going to move from Pattaya it would probably be to Bangkok rather than another country. So many different areas and places to explore, easy and reasonably priced to get around on public transport and a better base to travel from than Pattaya. I don't like the thought of having to start from scratch in another country, not always easy to establish a new network of friends as you get older.
Yes sir, I can boogie, I can boogie, boogie, boogie all night long.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

the point is many are worried about money, visas and health, so a move to Bangkok would be more costly, plus not solve the health or visa situation.
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

yeah , they will all end up back in pittsburgh under a bridge buying moonshine from me!
sigmoid
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by sigmoid »

that is a pretty fair view tbh
my mate who has lived in s.e.asia for 15 years, pattaya for the last 5, moved down to sihanoukville at the beginning of the year, lasted 4 months i think, back living in pattaya, said he was bored stiff
Yeah, that's the problem with leaving Thailand after years of living there; all the neighboring countries are pretty dang boring in comparison and usually even less developed.

What a list:

1) Laos
2) Cambodia
3) Myanburmar
4) Malaysia
5) Viet Nam
6) Singapore (OK, they have a very nice airport)
7) Indonesia

Going north (cold rain and snow) you've got China, Russia, Korea, Japan, Taiwan...

To the west there's Bangladesh (my personal favorite), India, Nepal, Pakistan, Afghanistan, blah blah balh-stan, Iraq, Iran, the whole Middle East... Europe... N. America

That leaves maybe Central and South America???

Or 'downunder'... New Zealand is pretty exciting, right?

Anyway, looks like Thailand, with its 33 million tourists and who-knows-how-many expats (anybody have a number on that?) is the BIG WiNNER!! :beer3:
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
I may be going to hell in a bucket,
but at least I'm enjoying the ride.
ExPenhMan
Expatriate
Canada

Post by ExPenhMan »

I'm so over SEA after 7 straight years of living in Thailand, Cambodia and Vietnam that I'm thinking of returning to NorthAm. The last few trips home have been better and better. I've heard the same from others from other countries. Yes, there are trade-offs, but I miss the familiarity and comfort of the home culture. Frankly, I don't expect to miss much on this side of the planet any more as I don't do the late nights and skirt chasing, although I'll certainly vacation here during the winter months. My decision point comes next spring.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic