A balanced article on beg-packing...

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

A balanced article on beg-packing...

Post by StroppyChops »

Scrunched between raucous hostels and a shuttered bia hơi stall on Ho Chi Minh City’s Phạm Ngũ Lão Street, a panhandler sits behind a cardboard sign asking for handouts. Normally, I wouldn’t do a double take. Except the clean-shaven, 27-year-old Ilya, who doesn’t dare share his last name, is thousands of miles from his home in St. Petersburg. No, he’s not begging for food or water in this backpacker haven. Rather, he wants me to help bankroll his surfing trip to the pristine beaches of the Philippines.
Read more: http://www.ozy.com/fast-forward/the-ris ... cker/77559?

The comments section is a reasonable read.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
AE86
Expatriate
Japan

Re: A balanced article on beg-packing...

Post by AE86 »

I'll admit to my weakness here...I still want to rip their signs out of their hands and slap the upside the head while yelling "GET A JOB!"

I sympathise with one of the commenters "I can't even look people in the eye and ask them for money."
-insert signature here
ricefarmersdaughter
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by ricefarmersdaughter »

the asians are racist.

they beg and busk in australia all the time but we dont say anything....
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

AE86 wrote: Mon May 29, 2017 1:04 am I'll admit to my weakness here...I still want to rip their signs out of their hands and slap the upside the head while yelling "GET A JOB!"

I sympathise with one of the commenters "I can't even look people in the eye and ask them for money."
Agreed. Get your spoilt little snow flake ass off the ground and work.
ricefarmersdaughter
Expatriate
Thailand

AE86 wrote: Mon May 29, 2017 1:04 am I'll admit to my weakness here...I still want to rip their signs out of their hands and slap the upside the head while yelling "GET A JOB!"

respect is a 2 way street so why do asians always see them selfs as superiour?
they are begging from the west from day one.

cambodia still owes 500 million fucking dollars.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

ricefarmersdaughter wrote: Mon May 29, 2017 9:44 am the asians are racist.

they beg and busk in australia all the time but we dont say anything....
They beg and busk to fund their holidays? No they don't you idiot.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

ricefarmersdaughter wrote: Mon May 29, 2017 10:19 amcambodia still owes 500 million fucking dollars.
I think it has been well established that you are an illiterate moron, but the debt stems from a loan made to a dictator who putsched himself into power with the tacit approval (and probably help) of the US. You are also forgetting the small matter of Cambodia having a right to compensation for being savagely bombed by the same US of A.

I am still hoping to see that post where you out yourself as having been a genius troll stringing this forum all along, but my hopes are dwindling.
ricefarmersdaughter
Expatriate
Thailand

AE86
Expatriate
Japan

Post by AE86 »

ricefarmersdaughter wrote: Mon May 29, 2017 10:19 am

You call "asians" racist and then say that "all asians see themselves as superior?" Hypocritical much? And what is it with you damn race baiters and putting everything down to race?

And then you go off on Cambodia owing money as if somehow them being "Asian" is the reason for this. Nothing to do with the world bank, nothing to do with genocidal eugenicist bankers, nothing to do with Pol Pots ideology, nothing to do with the war in Vietnam...no, it's because Cambodia is Asian...
-insert signature here
ricefarmersdaughter
Expatriate
Thailand

AE86 wrote: Mon May 29, 2017 10:54 am
ricefarmersdaughter wrote: Mon May 29, 2017 10:19 am

You call "asians" racist and then say that "all asians see themselves as superior?" Hypocritical much? And what is it with you damn race baiters and putting everything down to race?

And then you go off on Cambodia owing money as if somehow them being "Asian" is the reason for this. Nothing to do with the world bank, nothing to do with genocidal eugenicist bankers, nothing to do with Pol Pots ideology, nothing to do with the war in Vietnam...no, it's because Cambodia is Asian...
well of they begpackers have asian faces they wouldnt be on the news would they.?????
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic