New Scam in Siem Reap involving Fake Money

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

New Scam in Siem Reap involving Fake Money

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

According to a Facebook post, there is another new scam going on in the most popular tourist attraction of the kingdom of Cambodia, Angkorwat, Siem Reap province.

Here is the whole story

He is a British tourist. Today, around 12:00 pm, he went to visit Angkorwat, then when he was visiting on the third floor or Bakan floor of Angkor Touch, there were two people approached him and told him to light up some incense and stick in front of the Buddha statue. After that, they told him to donate some money. So, he (the British tourist) decided to donate 10 dollar (USD), but he only had 20 dollar note. Therefore, they then gave him change in 10 dollar note. He didn't really look at that change, after that he used it to buy water that where he had been told that his money is a fake money which labelled ក្រដាសសែន or Copy (FYI: The money labelled with ក្រដាសសែន or Copy is the counterfeit money that Chinese and Chinese-Cambodian use in the offering and some other rituals). He told the seller that he got this change from two men at the temple.

The poster's request: Apsara authority please take some actions with the two Cambodian men who always told tourists to light up incense and donate some money. It was not the first time that thing like this happened here in Siem Reap. There were some posts about this alike case on Facebook too. However this time was really serious, because it also involved with fake money. This kind of activity of a small group of greedy and selfish people really affects to the reputation of Cambodia. He said, 10 dollar is not a big deal for him, but what if this kind of scam keeps going on here, so how many tourists will become the victim of this scam and the worst thing is that they (tourists) sometime were accused of circulating fake money.

Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
TheGrinchSR
Expatriate

Re: New Scam in Siem Reap involving Fake Money

Post by TheGrinchSR »

Where I come from they'd call this an idiot tax. If you don't check the bills you receive (and that one is obviously a fake) more fool you.
"If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever." - George Orwell
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

These fake bills have been a problem in Siem Reap since the last Chinese New Year. Some of them are pretty well done and not all of them have some sort of writing on them.
BOFH
Expatriate

Post by BOFH »

Aaawwww, look how sad and cute he looks in the pictures!!!
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

He seems well pissed off for someone who took $10 worth of ghost money.
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
Samouth
Expatriate
Burundi

Post by Samouth »

I was visiting with my cousin's family in Siem Reap and everywhere we went inside the Angkor complex we were targeted with this scam. People told us to light up the incense and donate the money and also the red string stuff. They are from Canada and one of my in law brother is Caucasian.
បើសិនធ្វើចេះ ចេះឲ្យគេកោត បើសិនធ្វើឆោត ឆោតឲ្យគេអាណិត។

If you know a lot, know enough to make them respect you, if you are stupid, be stupid enough so they can pity you.
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Post by Kuroneko »

I just thought they were nice people helping one to make merit! I always light some incense and then drop 1000r in the box . Never a good idea to be walking around carrying huge fortunes like $20 notes :lol:
BOFH
Expatriate

Post by BOFH »

Samouth wrote:People told us to light up the incense and donate the money and also the red string stuff. They are from Canada and one of my in law brother is Caucasian.
Tell your friend from Canada and Caucasia to stop selling incense at Angkor Wat. Problem solved. :dm:
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

you can get 50 of these for $320

In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Samouth
Expatriate
Burundi

Post by Samouth »

BOFH wrote:
Samouth wrote:People told us to light up the incense and donate the money and also the red string stuff. They are from Canada and one of my in law brother is Caucasian.
Tell your friend from Canada and Caucasia to stop selling incense at Angkor Wat. Problem solved. :dm:
:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Did you reply it with your one eye closed? I was trying to justify that Foreigners are more likely to be victimized by this scam.
បើសិនធ្វើចេះ ចេះឲ្យគេកោត បើសិនធ្វើឆោត ឆោតឲ្យគេអាណិត។

If you know a lot, know enough to make them respect you, if you are stupid, be stupid enough so they can pity you.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic