NGO leader resigns over bad-taste remarks on WhatsApp

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

NGO leader resigns over bad-taste remarks on WhatsApp

Post by Anchor Moy »

Can someone tell me about WhatsApp ? Is this like sending private text messages or is it something that other people can read ? Thank you. Don't have a smart phone, so am a bit clueless about phone apps.
General rule: You can't joke about everything with everyone. Irony, sarcasm and bad-taste look particularly bad out of context. ;) And don't send messages when you're pished. :beer3: That's what internet forums are for.

NGO leader resigns amid leaked remarks

Tue, 28 June 2016
Jack Davies and Niem Chheng

The president of Maltese NGO Drama Outreach Project (DOP) has stepped down after leaked WhatsApp messages showed him making Cambodian children the butt of off-colour jokes.

The now-resigned DOP president, Alan Montanaro, had led teams of volunteers to Cambodia since the charity’s foundation in 2013. Last September, he sent WhatsApp messages to four DOP staff and volunteers belittling the children they worked with. One child, Meng, is referred to as “El Mingo” and other at times vulgar nicknames by Montanaro, who also suggests harvesting the boy’s corneas.

“Window washers or kidney-donors the lot of them,” Montanaro wrote.

In a message to the Post, Montanaro insisted that the remarks had been taken out of context and were a “coping mechanism” to deal with the “very sad situations” he encountered while in Cambodia.

However, this defence did not cut it with Malta’s NGO regulating body or DOP’s Cambodian partner organisations.

“It’s unacceptable that someone who is going out there to help children is making those kind of remarks,” the Maltese commissioner for voluntary organisations, Kenneth Wain, said yesterday. “I think that after everything that’s happened . . . I don’t think his position [with DOP] was sustainable.”

Ngov Chhiv, director of local DOP partner organisation Les Restaurants des Enfants, said yesterday that no one participating in the WhatsApp conversation would be allowed back at his NGO, although donations and other DOP volunteers are welcome.

“Those in the WhatsApp group are at fault, too,” Chhiv said. “Even the one who leaked it to journalists, why didn’t he reveal it at the time? Why wait until they had a conflict and use our children as the subject?”

http://www.phnompenhpost.com/national/n ... ign=buffer
kiwiincambodia
Expatriate
Korea North

Re: NGO leader resigns over bad-taste remarks on WhatsApp

Post by kiwiincambodia »

Whatsapp is both really. You can send individual messages to a specific person without anyone seeing or you can set up "group chats". Anyone in the chat group can see anything posted within the group only. Like an old Internet chat room basically but on your phone.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Alan Montanaro wrote: Window washers or kidney-donors the lot of them...

That's an awful thing to say. If anyone in my company made a comment like that I would rapidly extract myself from their vicinity. I'm not beyond making bad-taste jokes myself, but not that kind of bile. That's just toxic, fuck that guy.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

WhatsApp is my default messaging app, well, if Facebook isn't available.

Let's you know when your messages have been delivered,, and even read.

Based on phone number, but will also work when traveling and you put in a different SIM card with a different number.
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
bolueeleh
Expatriate

Post by bolueeleh »

WA doesnt allow u to choose what contacts to add or to skip
Money is not the problem, the problem is no money
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Re: RE: Re: NGO leader resigns over bad-taste remarks on WhatsApp

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

John Bingham wrote:
Alan Montanaro wrote: Window washers or kidney-donors the lot of them...

That's an awful thing to say. If anyone in my company made a comment like that I would rapidly extract myself from their vicinity. I'm not beyond making bad-taste jokes myself, but not that kind of bile. That's just toxic, fuck that guy.
Yeah. It's crossing the like for anyone, but is especially despicable given the nature if the job. I love how he tries to say it's a coping mechanism. Fuck off... Were the others volunteers or staff? If staff, it wouldn't surprise me if they just got a job at a different NGO the same sector.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

bolueeleh wrote:WA doesnt allow u to choose what contacts to add or to skip

Although it will add everyone on ur phone contact list it does not mean every message goes to everyone on ur lst

u can set up group chats an add anyone on ur list to it,
so u could have different groups for different reasons, ( work, friends, family)
obviously he sent the message to the wrong group and revealed his true self.

Its my default chat message service other thna Skype

ALSO the message is 100% secure now, but who u send to is not secure
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic